Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst Ever Southampton Manager 08:55 - Mar 23 with 3084 viewsSaintNick

Worst Ever Southampton Manager

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 08:58 - Mar 23 with 3075 viewsSaintNick

Only 4 nominations, because i have discounted those who might have been bad but were either a victim of circumstance like Jan Poortvliet or not there long enough such as Paul Sturrock.

Personally I think these four all did us more damage than that on the surface

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 09:16 - Mar 23 with 3054 viewssaints__fan__73

We didn't get relegated under Hughes which was all he was employed to prevent so a bit silly putting his name up as someone who did 'damage' to the club...

If we are talking about damage then there must be an argument for the manager who managed to get 17 points fewer than his predecessor did the season before.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 9:26]

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 10:37 - Mar 23 with 2994 viewsfranniesTache

Ian Branfoot by a country mile, though i'd also throw Souness in the mix as he was bloody awful too
Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 10:47 - Mar 23 with 2980 viewspjt50

Pellegrino deserves a place. Only Hughes from the above had a worse win percentage. He was clearly out of his depth & it's difficult to forgive him for Carrillo.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 11:15 - Mar 23 with 2936 viewsSaintNick

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 10:47 - Mar 23 by pjt50

Pellegrino deserves a place. Only Hughes from the above had a worse win percentage. He was clearly out of his depth & it's difficult to forgive him for Carrillo.

I discounted Pellegrino as I thought that he came into a bad situation not entirely of his making, he had the Van Dijk issue that progressively deteriorated as the season went on and he barely had a strike force.

Charlie Austin was the seasons top scorer with 7, Gabbiadini had 5 and Shane Long 2, these were our 3 strikers, Carrillo was out on loan and there was nothing else.

Yes Hughes inherited the squad but did no better with it and the following season had Armstrong, Elyounoussi & Vestergaard but we still went backwards

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 11:27 - Mar 23 with 2911 viewsfranniesTache

I actually think it's unfair to include Hughes, he kept us up and got us to a cup quarter final, compared to many of the managers in the 90s that was actually a decent return.
Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 13:27 - Mar 23 with 2803 viewspjt50

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 11:15 - Mar 23 by SaintNick

I discounted Pellegrino as I thought that he came into a bad situation not entirely of his making, he had the Van Dijk issue that progressively deteriorated as the season went on and he barely had a strike force.

Charlie Austin was the seasons top scorer with 7, Gabbiadini had 5 and Shane Long 2, these were our 3 strikers, Carrillo was out on loan and there was nothing else.

Yes Hughes inherited the squad but did no better with it and the following season had Armstrong, Elyounoussi & Vestergaard but we still went backwards

I don't think Carrillo went out on loan until after Pellegrino left, did he? Pellegrino obviously saw Carrillo (one of his former players) as the solution to our goal scoring problems but it lumbered us with one of the worst signings in our history. (Maybe that's another poll .)

One measure of the success of a manager is whether he leaves the club in a healthier position than when he arrived. Under Puel we'd just finished 8th & reached a cup final; under Pellegrino we were plummeting towards relegation.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 15:28 - Mar 23 with 2712 viewssaints__fan__73

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 13:27 - Mar 23 by pjt50

I don't think Carrillo went out on loan until after Pellegrino left, did he? Pellegrino obviously saw Carrillo (one of his former players) as the solution to our goal scoring problems but it lumbered us with one of the worst signings in our history. (Maybe that's another poll .)

One measure of the success of a manager is whether he leaves the club in a healthier position than when he arrived. Under Puel we'd just finished 8th & reached a cup final; under Pellegrino we were plummeting towards relegation.

Pellegrini was sacked 5 weeks after we signed Carrillo.

Login to get fewer ads

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 16:16 - Mar 23 with 2663 viewsBicester_North

Redknapp for the spineless defeat at Fratton and the Man U final match of the season, and his apologetic gesture to the skate fans at St Mary’s. A complete disgrace of a manager.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 18:02 - Mar 23 with 2574 viewsJellybaby

Unfair to include Hughes. Pelligrino was terrible, but Branfoot' reign was interminable, so he wins it imo.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 21:59 - Mar 23 with 2410 viewsSaintNick

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 13:27 - Mar 23 by pjt50

From the point of view that we paid £20 million for him and got nothing back yes he was a poor signing, but i do feel he was never given a chance, he only played about 6 games in the Premier League and he had a decent game at West ham and contributed to a win that ultimately kept us up and he was playing in a team in freefall.

From this perspective he did help us stay up. it was a signing to appease the fans who were demanding a striker to be signed, it gave us a boost that although little kept our heads above water.

We spent £20 million and stayed up, so better than spending zero and going down, ultimately we will never know

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 23:10 - Mar 23 with 2364 viewsSaintsforeverj

Hughes took over a team that was dreadful. We were in the bottom 3 and looked doomed. Hughes came in and at least revitalised the team enough to get the wins we needed. We stayed up against all odds, so not sure how he can be worst manager. Pellegrino is the worst for me. He was scruffy, he played defensive football and we got worse and worse as the season went on. Without Hughes coming in, we would have been relegated. Redknapp was bad for us, and his heart wasn't in it, and he took us down, so my vote here goes for him but was good at other clubs.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 23:58]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 00:05 - Mar 24 with 2324 viewspjt50

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 21:59 - Mar 23 by SaintNick

From the point of view that we paid £20 million for him and got nothing back yes he was a poor signing, but i do feel he was never given a chance, he only played about 6 games in the Premier League and he had a decent game at West ham and contributed to a win that ultimately kept us up and he was playing in a team in freefall.

From this perspective he did help us stay up. it was a signing to appease the fans who were demanding a striker to be signed, it gave us a boost that although little kept our heads above water.

We spent £20 million and stayed up, so better than spending zero and going down, ultimately we will never know

Very true Nick, but in the 5 league games he started we got an average of 1.0 points per game, in the 9 games he didn't start we also got an average of 1.0 points per game.

The £20 million went with a 3.5 year contract. I can't imagine that Leganés paid his wages in full when he was on loan & who knows what it cost to pay off the remainder.

All water under the bridge, though. Not our first mistake in the transfer market & definitely not our last.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2022 0:08]

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 11:12 - Mar 24 with 2174 viewsA1079

I went for Branfoot because what he brought to us in terms of style of football was just plain alien to us as a team, a club, to the players and the fans. It was awful to watch and could have resulted in us losing the likes of MLT. I have never known the Dell to be so disgruntled and almost rebellious.

Claude Puel style of football left alot to be desired. I recall struggling to stay awake and that was before his post match interviews. There were a few good games - the Carabao cup final being one but overall the football was as dull as him. He is partly excused because we got to a final (which was a joy to experience) and finished 8th (though points wise we were still nearer to the relegation spots than the top 6?. You could also argue that Puel set the team up the way he did because he did not have the quality that his predecessors had had, but I am not sure. Pellegrino would definitely had taken us down if he remained. The Newcastle away game was the depths of despair. I actually think from day one people could see that he did not have it as a manager at this level.

But, it depends what you mean by worst ever manager. For duplicity and malevolence, Harry Redknapp wins hands down. He had an agenda, it seemed that he had joined us with the aim to take us down. It was never ever his fault.
Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 18:02 - Mar 24 with 2038 viewsRon11

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 21:59 - Mar 23 by SaintNick

Never heard of him since.

What I do remember is the first time I ever dozed off at a football match, watching Puel's drivel, then unbelievably did it again watching more shite when Pellegrini was 'in charge'.
Oh for the Pochettino and Koeman days...
Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 13:03 - Mar 25 with 1915 viewsTimSaint

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 11:12 - Mar 24 by A1079

I went for Branfoot because what he brought to us in terms of style of football was just plain alien to us as a team, a club, to the players and the fans. It was awful to watch and could have resulted in us losing the likes of MLT. I have never known the Dell to be so disgruntled and almost rebellious.

Claude Puel style of football left alot to be desired. I recall struggling to stay awake and that was before his post match interviews. There were a few good games - the Carabao cup final being one but overall the football was as dull as him. He is partly excused because we got to a final (which was a joy to experience) and finished 8th (though points wise we were still nearer to the relegation spots than the top 6?. You could also argue that Puel set the team up the way he did because he did not have the quality that his predecessors had had, but I am not sure. Pellegrino would definitely had taken us down if he remained. The Newcastle away game was the depths of despair. I actually think from day one people could see that he did not have it as a manager at this level.

But, it depends what you mean by worst ever manager. For duplicity and malevolence, Harry Redknapp wins hands down. He had an agenda, it seemed that he had joined us with the aim to take us down. It was never ever his fault.

Despite all his negatives (and I am neither a fan of him nor his style of play !!) Branfoot did manage to get us to a Wembley final !!

For me it has to be Redknapp, simply for getting us relegated.

Despite relegations and the quick turnover of managers between Burley and Pardew, at least we managed to regroup and bounce back to the Prem, which is a lot more than can be said about a certain other team.

TimSaint

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 13:38 - Mar 25 with 1895 viewsgrumpy

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 13:03 - Mar 25 by TimSaint

Despite all his negatives (and I am neither a fan of him nor his style of play !!) Branfoot did manage to get us to a Wembley final !!

For me it has to be Redknapp, simply for getting us relegated.

Despite relegations and the quick turnover of managers between Burley and Pardew, at least we managed to regroup and bounce back to the Prem, which is a lot more than can be said about a certain other team.

Redknapp

The way he left Pompey should have been a warning.
His smiles and waves to the Pompey fans when we put in such a pathetic display at Fratton.
Then to leave us as soon as we got relegated.
Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 13:48 - Mar 25 with 1888 viewssaints__fan__73

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 13:38 - Mar 25 by grumpy

Redknapp

The way he left Pompey should have been a warning.
His smiles and waves to the Pompey fans when we put in such a pathetic display at Fratton.
Then to leave us as soon as we got relegated.

'As soon' meaning mid-way through the next season, yes?

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 14:51 - Mar 25 with 1845 viewsPoirot

I dont view Redknapp as being the worst and really coming in as the third manager of the season, he really was mad to take take the job. The interference from Lowe was nuts and the whole Woodward thing was a financial disgrace.

I imagine some fans blame redknapp for relegation, when the detail shows it was Lowe that masterminded the mess with shambolic management.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2022 18:50]
Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 15:42 - Mar 25 with 1810 viewsBicester_North

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 14:51 - Mar 25 by Poirot

I dont view Redknapp as being the worst and really coming in as the third manager of the season, he really was mad to take take the job. The interference from Lowe was nuts and the whole Woodward thing was a financial disgrace.

I imagine some fans blame redknapp for relegation, when the detail shows it was Lowe that masterminded the mess with shambolic management.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2022 18:50]

It was Lowe that did the team talk before getting mauled at Fratton and not putting any fight up whatsoever v Man U then obviously

We had a manager that sucked our biggest rivals off while he was still here. That makes him our worst fit, even though we have had worse football managers.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 20:13 - Mar 27 with 1579 viewssaint68

It's an easy one...0-9....9-0....worst ever losing streak in club history.....Bow your head in Shame Ralph Hassntaclue...fuk him off pronto

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 08:43 - Mar 28 with 1489 viewsSonicBoom

Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 10:37 - Mar 23 by franniesTache

Ian Branfoot by a country mile, though i'd also throw Souness in the mix as he was bloody awful too

I agree Souness was awful. I remember being at Villa away near the end of the season and I think we won 1-0 which helped us stay up, and us fans were calling for Souness to come out. It took ages and he eventually stuck his head out the tunnel, gave a perfunctory wave and disappeared again. He really never wanted to here and you could tell his heart was never in it.
Worst Ever Southampton Manager on 22:02 - Apr 1 with 1261 viewsinthebox

Interesting take on Hughes
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024