Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Recruitment 21:42 - Feb 12 with 1610 viewskingslandstand1

Just been reading this. Doesn't seem too bad a strategy and may explain lack of movement in January, but what do the cynics among you think?

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18228012.southampton-wait-till-summer-bring-ne
Recruitment on 22:17 - Feb 12 with 1320 viewsthis_charming_man

Same old bullsh1t. Wait until the summer when the transfer window is so they have no chance to work in the strategy before the window! Seems like a ridiculous strategy.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Recruitment on 03:52 - Feb 13 with 1227 viewsRipleys_revenge

Yes fundamentally a sound and considered strategy in an era of quick fixes and loose financing arrangements. However the only sticking point is that this has been the case for the past several seasons. I feel like I have been waiting for real squad investment every year since I’ve been a saints fan. To me this just sounds like more spin. “Wait until the summer” should be our motto rather than we march on
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 3:53]
Recruitment on 10:25 - Feb 13 with 1104 viewsdirk_doone

The real strategy, as always, will be to make a profit. Only part of the money made from player sales will be spent on replacements. This means that it will be highly unlikely we'll be able to afford anyone who'll significantly strengthen the squad.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 10:29]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Recruitment on 11:08 - Feb 13 with 1064 viewsSaintNick

Recruitment on 10:25 - Feb 13 by dirk_doone

The real strategy, as always, will be to make a profit. Only part of the money made from player sales will be spent on replacements. This means that it will be highly unlikely we'll be able to afford anyone who'll significantly strengthen the squad.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 10:29]

Until we stop bringing up the past all the time and start looking to the future we are always going to spread a negative vibe around the club and that does not help player recruitment.

Whatever industry you are in when looking at a new employer you look at what is said about them on relevant websites, if you go on holiday you check reviews of hotels etc on trip advisor and it would be naive to think that are potential recruits whether they are players or staff dont look at various social media platforms when considering joining us or another club.

The continued slating of everything concerned with the club by some even when it is good news means we can never leave the past behind and start to think about the future.

Even back in 2014-2016 people continually moaned about Kat being an asset stripper and selling our best players, the likes of Mane & Pelle were hated by a large vocal minority of the crowd who were on there back in every game until they left and where then put up as a case of just why Saints were run badly selling their best players.

If we want success then we have to be positive, Gao is what he is, he has made it clear that he is here to build the club as a business not just plunge money in it whenever times are hard.

No one gives him credit for letting the club run and making it succeed by using the tools it has to hand and not just throwing cash at the problem when you don't solve it you merely create more.

We have spend badly over the past couple of years, maybe Gao will put money in when he sees the recruitment is back to what it should be, but he probably has no incentive to do so when the supporters are giving him so much stick purely for not spending his money and lets face it a large proportion of those slagging him off arent willing to put there own money in and go to a game these days.

Yes we are here to make a profit as a business, but to say only a percentage of player sales is ploughed back into new signings is wrong and misleading, over the years most of it has gone back in, it has just gone in badly, Elyounoussi, Carrillo, Lemina, Hoedt even 4 players who have a collective transfer fee of around £60 m all out on loan, that shows we have spent money but spent it badly.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Recruitment on 12:10 - Feb 13 with 1026 viewsthis_charming_man

Recruitment on 11:08 - Feb 13 by SaintNick

Until we stop bringing up the past all the time and start looking to the future we are always going to spread a negative vibe around the club and that does not help player recruitment.

Whatever industry you are in when looking at a new employer you look at what is said about them on relevant websites, if you go on holiday you check reviews of hotels etc on trip advisor and it would be naive to think that are potential recruits whether they are players or staff dont look at various social media platforms when considering joining us or another club.

The continued slating of everything concerned with the club by some even when it is good news means we can never leave the past behind and start to think about the future.

Even back in 2014-2016 people continually moaned about Kat being an asset stripper and selling our best players, the likes of Mane & Pelle were hated by a large vocal minority of the crowd who were on there back in every game until they left and where then put up as a case of just why Saints were run badly selling their best players.

If we want success then we have to be positive, Gao is what he is, he has made it clear that he is here to build the club as a business not just plunge money in it whenever times are hard.

No one gives him credit for letting the club run and making it succeed by using the tools it has to hand and not just throwing cash at the problem when you don't solve it you merely create more.

We have spend badly over the past couple of years, maybe Gao will put money in when he sees the recruitment is back to what it should be, but he probably has no incentive to do so when the supporters are giving him so much stick purely for not spending his money and lets face it a large proportion of those slagging him off arent willing to put there own money in and go to a game these days.

Yes we are here to make a profit as a business, but to say only a percentage of player sales is ploughed back into new signings is wrong and misleading, over the years most of it has gone back in, it has just gone in badly, Elyounoussi, Carrillo, Lemina, Hoedt even 4 players who have a collective transfer fee of around £60 m all out on loan, that shows we have spent money but spent it badly.

I very much doubt Jean-Clair Todibo rejected us and joined Shalke because he checked what the TUI posters were saying about the club.

Recruitment on 12:31 - Feb 13 with 1008 viewssaints__fan__73

Recruitment on 12:10 - Feb 13 by this_charming_man

I very much doubt Jean-Clair Todibo rejected us and joined Shalke because he checked what the TUI posters were saying about the club.

Nick's just trolling us now. Even by his standards that's the most absurd post he has ever made! :)

Let's all just post happy thoughts as we never know when a potential new signing may be looking at a mongboard!!!!

We have finally reached Keith Legg levels of ludicrousness like when we bared any mention a trialist's name being mentioned in a game thread unless another club was viewing the board and nipped in and signed him.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Recruitment on 12:31 - Feb 13 with 1010 viewsSaintNick

Recruitment on 12:10 - Feb 13 by this_charming_man

You would be surprised just what is seen by who, ultimately money talks, but players want to play for positive clubs and we are getting a reputation as a bunch of moaners.

Pompey on the other hand are seen as passionate fans because they sing a lot, so players like to go there because they dont seem to give individual players as much stick

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Recruitment on 12:43 - Feb 13 with 996 viewsButty101

Recruitment on 12:31 - Feb 13 by SaintNick

You would be surprised just what is seen by who, ultimately money talks, but players want to play for positive clubs and we are getting a reputation as a bunch of moaners.

Pompey on the other hand are seen as passionate fans because they sing a lot, so players like to go there because they dont seem to give individual players as much stick

Is it April the 1st?

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Login to get fewer ads

Recruitment on 12:59 - Feb 13 with 986 views1ASIN12

Have you had a bang on the head?

I'm not sure a player has or has not joind a club for what they read on social media.

You are corect though, we have wasted what money we have received from player sales on poor recruitment. Tha doesn't answer the quastion though why we have to sell to buy - or so it seems.

For the last 3 or 4 windows the board (Or boards) have failed to strenghen the team in key areas (Centre back for example) .
Recruitment on 13:04 - Feb 13 with 981 viewsthis_charming_man

Recruitment on 13:06 - Feb 13 with 978 viewsthis_charming_man

Recruitment on 12:31 - Feb 13 by saints__fan__73

Nick's just trolling us now. Even by his standards that's the most absurd post he has ever made! :)

Let's all just post happy thoughts as we never know when a potential new signing may be looking at a mongboard!!!!

We have finally reached Keith Legg levels of ludicrousness like when we bared any mention a trialist's name being mentioned in a game thread unless another club was viewing the board and nipped in and signed him.

It definitely tops the

“Where is the evidence the owner wants to make a profit from transfers?”

Comment from a few weeks ago

Recruitment on 13:53 - Feb 13 with 949 viewsMarcus_y

So having negative posts on here about the club and owners leads to bad vibes? Did that same view not occur when u constantly slated cortese?

You're nothing but a lot of talk n'a' badge.

Recruitment on 14:09 - Feb 13 with 943 viewsRipleys_revenge

Nick I love this site, and I have a lot of respect for you for putting in your time and effort to keep it running. I'm sure I speak for a lot of Saints fans when I say that beneath all the shouting and screaming on here sometimes, I am truly thankful for the content you put out. As a lifelong Saints fan and someone now living away from the UK its one of the best ways I can keep up with everything going on at the club.

Having said that I can't quite understand where you're coming from on this. Yes I know Saints are never going to be a big spending club. I have never had that expectation, and thats why its such a pleasure supporting the team in a way - being the underdog brings such a great feeling when we really stick it to one of the bigger boys. But its a bit unreasonable to start having a go at fans for stating exactly how it is. Look at the facts: we have chronically failed to address glaring holes in our squad for the past three or four seasons. We have struggled recently in large part because of terrible recruitment. There is simply no other way of looking at it. We're only slightly better off this season than the last few seasons because of the fantastic manager we currently have - and in my opinion I wouldn't begrudge him leaving before the end of his contract if this under investment continues.

This has got nothing to do with bringing up a 'negative vibe' or any other of the strange things that you've thrown around. I expect us to not spend billions, but in the age of the premier league as it is now we simply have got to spend to survive, much less move forward. I accept we have spent money on shoddy players and so that has hamstrung us to a certain extent. But its the spin of the club that I think a lot of fans object to. I remember hearing the EXACT SAME message at this stage last season - wait until summer and then we'll really invest. As it happened, we signed Adams and Djenepo and then literally stopped any further signings. Oh apart from Danso...

I dont buy it that that is all part of the strategy. Following your logic of applying this situation to other industries (which makes no sense, football is utterly, unfathomably, uniquely insane), if my boss said one thing, failed to do it, then trotted out the same old rhetoric he would be sacked pretty sharpish. Its also laughable to suggest that Gao is doing a good job because he hasn't come out and made any big noises. If saying nothing and avoiding scrutiny is the sign of good leadership then I suspect we really are on very different pages. When you say 'No one gives him credit for letting the club run and making it succeed by using the tools it has to hand and not just throwing cash at the problem' are you sure you can reasonably say he had that much foresight when we were a Swansea meltdown away from getting relegated? Or last season when for a long time we looked doomed? I'd say it suggests more a complete lack of ownership beyond his name on the deeds.

Under investment is one thing, and can be understood better in the context of previous poor player recruitment. However it is quite galling to be told repeatedly that everything is right on track and just where we are planning to be. It is screaming everyone in the face there is no leadership from the owner - just listen to the way Semmens et al answer questions when asked about his intentions. They don't know themselves! So how are fans expected to have any faith in the set up when the senior executive management don't know what is going on themselves? This isn't negativity, and if influential people really do read this board and it somehow does influence their decisions about the club then I hope they read it and understand where fans are coming from! Somehow however I won't hold my breath
Recruitment on 14:57 - Feb 13 with 898 viewssaints__fan__73

Recruitment on 13:06 - Feb 13 by this_charming_man

It definitely tops the

“Where is the evidence the owner wants to make a profit from transfers?”

Comment from a few weeks ago

He's either on a wind-up, lost it completely or else is being dangled a free trip to pre-season sitting in the car next to Semmens.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Recruitment on 15:54 - Feb 13 with 855 viewsBuggalugs

At least we all now know why Umtiti never joined. Shame on those of you that ruined that deal

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Recruitment on 16:27 - Feb 13 with 836 viewsIngskneeslide

Nick’s war against Saints fans continues. The latest pearl of wisdom is that it’s not the club’s fault we’re not buying anyone, it’s ours. Still, hopefully this will spell the end for saint22 and i_would on this forum. We can’t have the likes of them stopping SFC from progressing
Recruitment on 16:42 - Feb 13 with 816 viewsthis_charming_man

Recruitment on 16:27 - Feb 13 by Ingskneeslide

Nick’s war against Saints fans continues. The latest pearl of wisdom is that it’s not the club’s fault we’re not buying anyone, it’s ours. Still, hopefully this will spell the end for saint22 and i_would on this forum. We can’t have the likes of them stopping SFC from progressing

this was a bizarre and ill informed statements

"Pompey on the other hand are seen as passionate fans because they sing a lot, so players like to go there because they dont seem to give individual players as much stick "

When even their own local paper ran an article about the pompey boo boys last month and their manager has even had to stick up for one of their players against them

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/what-portsmouth-boo-bo
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/jackett-defender-can-beat-pompey-boo

He's obviously on a wind up, been a quiet few days on here I guess.

Recruitment on 16:50 - Feb 13 with 804 viewsfranniesTache

Nick has 130 stolen your login? Because that's a Ratners moment if not.
Recruitment on 17:19 - Feb 13 with 777 viewsSaintsforeverj

If the invisible man Gao spoke one word to the fans it might help! It's not just any old business. SFC is our club, and we want to hear our owner speak. Not very polite is it to completely ignore us. It's not OK to just sit in China watching the money roll in. It's our club and we all know he is not here for the fans or to enjoy winning games (does he ever attend?) He is here for himself to make money. That's the key point isn't it really. We know.

Nobody expects us to spend millions. Just an owner who cares about us, the club and maybe just maybe sanctions buying the centre back that we have needed for 4 long years.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 17:23]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Recruitment on 17:32 - Feb 13 with 758 viewsPatfromPoole

I think it’s fair to say the likes of Sol Campbell, David James, Diarra, Muntari, Mendes, Defoe etc were attracted to Fratton by the huge amount of £££££’s on offer, which the club had absolutely no means of being able to afford.

Anything else would have been immaterial. They barely had their own training ground FFS.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Recruitment on 17:34 - Feb 13 with 754 viewsthis_charming_man

Recruitment on 17:32 - Feb 13 by PatfromPoole

I think it’s fair to say the likes of Sol Campbell, David James, Diarra, Muntari, Mendes, Defoe etc were attracted to Fratton by the huge amount of £££££’s on offer, which the club had absolutely no means of being able to afford.

Anything else would have been immaterial. They barely had their own training ground FFS.

Surely it was down to their fans posting nice things on their forums?

Recruitment on 17:38 - Feb 13 with 746 viewsPatfromPoole

Recruitment on 17:34 - Feb 13 by this_charming_man

Surely it was down to their fans posting nice things on their forums?

In which case my posts about Vestergaard have been in vain. He’s still bloody with us.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Recruitment on 17:42 - Feb 13 with 745 viewsIngskneeslide

Recruitment on 16:42 - Feb 13 by this_charming_man

this was a bizarre and ill informed statements

"Pompey on the other hand are seen as passionate fans because they sing a lot, so players like to go there because they dont seem to give individual players as much stick "

When even their own local paper ran an article about the pompey boo boys last month and their manager has even had to stick up for one of their players against them

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/what-portsmouth-boo-bo
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/jackett-defender-can-beat-pompey-boo

He's obviously on a wind up, been a quiet few days on here I guess.

It’s bad enough reading him saying that we should be more like fùcking Liverpool fans all the time, but that flock of cûnts down the road too? He’s got to walk for that surely?
Recruitment on 18:25 - Feb 13 with 701 viewsHappy_Jack

When the club made that audacious swoop for Keegan in 1980 the player himself was rumoured to have been swayed by positive comments in the Daily Echo's letters to the Editor section. This sort of thing has been going on for years.

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Recruitment on 19:17 - Feb 13 with 659 viewsSonicBoom

Firstly I agree with nick, we have spent money. We just got the recruitment badly wrong.
That brings me to my second point. The club are doing what every business does. When there was one guy in charge of recruitment, and it was going well we were lauded as an example of prudence and good planning. Eventually too many bad choices cost Reed his job.
So the club then take the opposite view and seem to in the process of loading up with a bewildering array of execs all of whom will have some responsibility for recruitment but none of them will be entirely to blame if it goes wrong.
If it does we will no doubt swing back to clearing the managerial decks again and bringing in one recruitment supremo.

Regardless of name badges any club needs someone with an eye for a player, whether he be 30 million from europe or showing promise in the championship. There is no substitute for being a great talent spotter. Software helps of course but the main skill is the ability to see potential, and the charisma to sell the club to that player.
No amount of blue sky meetings, complicated job titles or decision making committees, change the basic skill of good recruitment whether its ten blokes or just one who does it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024