Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leeds 22:32 - Aug 20 with 1859 viewsSaintNick

Premier league shock side or relegation battlers ?

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Leeds on 22:49 - Aug 20 with 1851 viewsWints76

I think they'll be OK. The sides I am banking on struggling are:

Palace
Fulham
WBA
Villa
Burnley
Sheff Utd

Hopefully West Ham obviously, and see what happens at Newcastle

Our aim is surely to get to 40 points ASAP and hopefully do something in either cup. None of us are getting any younger
Leeds on 22:53 - Aug 20 with 1844 viewsSaintsforeverj

I reckon Leeds will be ok. Huge club and they will want to make sure they stay in the big time, even if they need to spend. Bielsa is also hugely experienced and successful.

I also think WBA will be ok. Slaven Bilic seems like a sound manager to me with experience.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 22:57]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Leeds on 22:57 - Aug 20 with 1840 viewsSaintNick

Leeds on 22:53 - Aug 20 by Saintsforeverj

I reckon Leeds will be ok. Huge club and they will want to make sure they stay in the big time, even if they need to spend. Bielsa is also hugely experienced and successful.

I also think WBA will be ok. Slaven Bilic seems like a sound manager to me with experience.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 22:57]

Are Leeds a huge club out of the last 38 years they have only spent 14 years in the top flight,

Leeds on 23:01 - Aug 20 with 1831 viewsSaintsforeverj

Leeds on 22:57 - Aug 20 by SaintNick

Are Leeds a huge club out of the last 38 years they have only spent 14 years in the top flight,

They are huge in terms of history and fan base. (Virus restrictions aside), they will fill their ground 40 000 no problem and could probably fill it to 60 000 (and have in their history). Their record attendance is 57 000.To me, that is a big club.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 23:03]

Leeds on 23:57 - Aug 20 with 1779 viewsPatfromPoole

I think Leeds will be OK if they get a striker, as I don’t think Bamford will get the goals they need.

They’re a good side who play at a pretty high tempo.

I don’t think playing behind closed doors will help them though.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Leeds on 07:11 - Aug 21 with 1705 viewsdirk_doone

Leeds on 23:01 - Aug 20 by Saintsforeverj

They are huge in terms of history and fan base. (Virus restrictions aside), they will fill their ground 40 000 no problem and could probably fill it to 60 000 (and have in their history). Their record attendance is 57 000.To me, that is a big club.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 23:03]

The season they got their record league gate of 56,766, their average home gate was 17,114 and their smallest gate that season was 7,971. In this century we have usually had bigger gates than they have.

When I was a boy, they were a mediocre second division club, playing in a half-empty ground, whose greatest achievement was reaching the 6th round of the FA Cup once in their history. Then Don Revie arrived. He really made that club and all of their honours, bar one, were won when he was their manager.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/leeu.htm
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 11:44]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Leeds on 08:00 - Aug 21 with 1662 viewsA1079

I think they will do ok. Under Bielsa they have a history of starting well and then hitting poor form.

I am not sure what defines a big club - is it crowd size, history, trophies, etc? I just hope when we play them we don't lose to them as it will be painful for me living here.

Living down south I hated Leeds because of the arrogant obnoxious nature of their fans and their behaviour. I have to admit, the ones at work here (of which there are many) seem pretty level headed and realistic and at least they support their local club and not Man U or Liverpool which I really find perverse in Yorkshire given their supposed disdain for anything from the other side of the Penines.
Leeds on 08:31 - Aug 21 with 1627 views1teeminants

Yes massive club imo with a huge fan base. You see fans wearing their shirts everywhere, they always fill their big ground , big history, winning big trophies .I know people judge the size of a club differently and maybe I’m basing it on the fact they were massive in the 70’s when I was growing up and it made a lasting impression on me but I think if you ask most older football fans they would say Leeds are a huge club.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11715/10676765/leeds-united-englands-13t
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 8:46]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Login to get fewer ads

Leeds on 09:15 - Aug 21 with 1594 viewsarfurdent

thuggish northern inbred t0ssers

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Leeds on 09:40 - Aug 21 with 1569 viewsSonicBoom

I see no real reason they won't struggle.
Goalscoring will be an issue and even with Bielsa it's a big leap into the PL.
Norwich played good football and won the championship then came up and were dreadful. Villa came up, spent a hundred million quid and survived by the skin of their teeth.
Sheffield United did well but I woudn't bet against them struggling next season.

I think West Brom will struggle as they don't seem to have improved that much since they went down, and now they have Charlie Austin....
Leeds on 09:52 - Aug 21 with 1562 viewsSaintNick

Leeds on 07:11 - Aug 21 by dirk_doone

The season they got their record league gate of 56,766, their average home gate was 17,114 and their smallest gate that season was 7,971. In this century we have usually had bigger gates than they have.

When I was a boy, they were a mediocre second division club, playing in a half-empty ground, whose greatest achievement was reaching the 6th round of the FA Cup once in their history. Then Don Revie arrived. He really made that club and all of their honours, bar one, were won when he was their manager.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/leeu.htm
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 11:44]

Dirk has a point here, before the 60's Leeds was a big city but not a big football club, the likes of Huddersfield were bigger, record attendance of 67,000 and title wins, Leeds were big in the 60's and 70's and a brief spell in the 90,s but historically that is about it.

Someone said you see Leeds shirts around, there are the odd ones here and there, a throwback to the fact they have a few 60 ish year olds who jumped on the bandwagon back then, but in the main you dont see many kids wearing their shirt or it for sale in sports shops as you do the big six.

In terms of honours they have 3 league titles, same as Huddersfield and 1 FA Cup again same as Huddersfield, you could say that Huddersfield's glory years were 90 years ago and that is a long time, but aside from their title win 29 seasons ago, their glory years were 50 years ago.

Yes they have a big fanbase as Leeds is a big city and surrounded by big towns like Wakefield with no football teams, but not sure that makes them a big club, Sunderland, Everton, Newcastle, West Ham and Villa would all claim to be bigger

Leeds on 10:00 - Aug 21 with 1554 viewsChesham_Saint

By what sane measure are they remotely huge? If they are then so are Derby, Forest and Wolves, FFS, all of whom have had significant success in the past.

Man U, Liverpool, Barcelona, Milan et al are huge. I wouldn’t even class Arsenal, Chelsea, the NLYs or Man City as huge (they’d be in the group just below - i.e. fvcking big) whilst Leeds with their couple of patches of significant success are “just” a ‘big club ‘. But huge? Nah.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Leeds on 10:12 - Aug 21 with 1543 viewssolent_toffee

Leeds on 08:00 - Aug 21 by A1079

I think they will do ok. Under Bielsa they have a history of starting well and then hitting poor form.

I am not sure what defines a big club - is it crowd size, history, trophies, etc? I just hope when we play them we don't lose to them as it will be painful for me living here.

Living down south I hated Leeds because of the arrogant obnoxious nature of their fans and their behaviour. I have to admit, the ones at work here (of which there are many) seem pretty level headed and realistic and at least they support their local club and not Man U or Liverpool which I really find perverse in Yorkshire given their supposed disdain for anything from the other side of the Penines.

I watch a lot of Leeds due to mates and family who support them. think they will surprise a few in the PL next season in a similar way to Sheff Utd, but with better players IMO.

Under Bielsa they will take the game to the opposition a lot more than most promoted teams.

They defo need a centre forward though, Bamford is a championship player, no more.
Leeds on 12:33 - Aug 21 with 1465 viewskingslandstand1

Leeds on 09:52 - Aug 21 by SaintNick

Dirk has a point here, before the 60's Leeds was a big city but not a big football club, the likes of Huddersfield were bigger, record attendance of 67,000 and title wins, Leeds were big in the 60's and 70's and a brief spell in the 90,s but historically that is about it.

Someone said you see Leeds shirts around, there are the odd ones here and there, a throwback to the fact they have a few 60 ish year olds who jumped on the bandwagon back then, but in the main you dont see many kids wearing their shirt or it for sale in sports shops as you do the big six.

In terms of honours they have 3 league titles, same as Huddersfield and 1 FA Cup again same as Huddersfield, you could say that Huddersfield's glory years were 90 years ago and that is a long time, but aside from their title win 29 seasons ago, their glory years were 50 years ago.

Yes they have a big fanbase as Leeds is a big city and surrounded by big towns like Wakefield with no football teams, but not sure that makes them a big club, Sunderland, Everton, Newcastle, West Ham and Villa would all claim to be bigger

Weren't Liverpool as well?
Leeds on 12:40 - Aug 21 with 1455 viewsSalisburySaint

I think they’ll be fine, great Manager, and i think the club will support him well in the transfer market.

Think West Brom and Fulham will struggle however
Leeds on 12:47 - Aug 21 with 1434 viewsJaySaint

Leeds will be fine. May have a dip and fight to be outside of the drop zone, but will be fine

their manager is better than many....will probably make some decent signings

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Leeds on 13:56 - Aug 21 with 1378 viewsSaintsforeverj

The question about whether they are huge or not is up for debate, but with a 40 000 capacity, that they would fill, they are a big club imo. Put it this way, forgetting the virus restrictions, I bet they will bring 3000 noisy fans to St Mary's. West Brom probably won't, Burnley won't, Fulham won't, Wigan never did, Swansea never did, Sunderland didn't and even Newcastle didn't for some games, so I mean they are in the bracket of being one of the bigger clubs, with big fanbase.

I would say Sheff Wednesday are also a big club. Forest too. Whereas Fulham, WBA, Wigan, Swansea are not so big. Don't have a clue about their trophies history, just that their fanbase is much smaller, smaller grounds etc.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 14:00]

Leeds on 13:59 - Aug 21 with 1374 viewsSonicBoom

Leeds on 10:12 - Aug 21 by solent_toffee

I watch a lot of Leeds due to mates and family who support them. think they will surprise a few in the PL next season in a similar way to Sheff Utd, but with better players IMO.

Under Bielsa they will take the game to the opposition a lot more than most promoted teams.

They defo need a centre forward though, Bamford is a championship player, no more.

I think a lot of teams who come up take the game to the opposition because they are used to winning. If it goes well then they go on to have a good season like Sheffield did. However the PL can be unforgiving and they may find that pushing up they get punished way more than they are used to. A few early defeats could take the wind out of their sails and scoring could be a problem.
That said Bielsa is a wise old bird, I'm sure he won't be going gung-ho and leaving them wide open.
Leeds on 16:55 - Aug 21 with 1298 views1teeminants

Leeds on 10:00 - Aug 21 by Chesham_Saint

By what sane measure are they remotely huge? If they are then so are Derby, Forest and Wolves, FFS, all of whom have had significant success in the past.

Man U, Liverpool, Barcelona, Milan et al are huge. I wouldn’t even class Arsenal, Chelsea, the NLYs or Man City as huge (they’d be in the group just below - i.e. fvcking big) whilst Leeds with their couple of patches of significant success are “just” a ‘big club ‘. But huge? Nah.

England’s 12 th biggest club . Ask people that went in the 70’s

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11715/10676765/leeds-united-englands-13t

Leeds on 16:59 - Aug 21 with 1294 views1teeminants

Leeds are a big club as are the other teams you mentioned . Huddersfield are not a big club . Leeds fans are animals probably the worst around but to say Leeds aren’t big is just daft .
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 17:03]

Leeds on 17:10 - Aug 21 with 1280 viewsPatfromPoole

Leeds on 16:59 - Aug 21 by 1teeminants

Leeds are a big club as are the other teams you mentioned . Huddersfield are not a big club . Leeds fans are animals probably the worst around but to say Leeds aren’t big is just daft .
[Post edited 21 Aug 2020 17:03]

Agreed.

Leeds have fans all across the country; they have a huge following in the south of England. I’m not aware that Huddersfield or any other club in Yorkshire have that.

They are a massive club.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Leeds on 17:33 - Aug 21 with 1265 viewsSaintsforeverj

Leeds on 17:10 - Aug 21 by PatfromPoole

Agreed.

Leeds have fans all across the country; they have a huge following in the south of England. I’m not aware that Huddersfield or any other club in Yorkshire have that.

They are a massive club.

Exactly. It's a silly discussion. They are one of England's big clubs. Not the biggest, maybe not "huge", but they are a big English club with a very large fan base.

Leeds on 17:59 - Aug 21 with 1251 viewsChesham_Saint

Leeds on 16:55 - Aug 21 by 1teeminants

England’s 12 th biggest club . Ask people that went in the 70’s

Ask people that went in the 50s and they’ll have a different answer...

Leeds are NOT huge in a worldwide context, and I’d argue not even from a European perspective: Juventus, Turin, AC, Inter, PSG, Ajax, Bayern, Benfica, Sporting, Real Madrid, Rangers, Celtic, Barcelona, Atletico and Real Madrid are huge.

Even in England there are still a shedload of teams larger than them. So yes, they’re big, but Not huge.

Leeds on 16:43 - Aug 22 with 1092 viewsarfurdent

Leeds on 17:59 - Aug 21 by Chesham_Saint

Ask people that went in the 50s and they’ll have a different answer...

Leeds are NOT huge in a worldwide context, and I’d argue not even from a European perspective: Juventus, Turin, AC, Inter, PSG, Ajax, Bayern, Benfica, Sporting, Real Madrid, Rangers, Celtic, Barcelona, Atletico and Real Madrid are huge.

Even in England there are still a shedload of teams larger than them. So yes, they’re big, but Not huge.

are we talking mammary glands?

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Leeds on 16:51 - Aug 22 with 1085 viewsChesham_Saint

Leeds on 16:43 - Aug 22 by arfurdent

are we talking mammary glands?

Tits maybe.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024