Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP David Armstrong 21:11 - Aug 21 with 3189 viewshedgeend61

Sad news, only 67, too young

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/2022/august/21/rip--david-armstrong/
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 21:11]
RIP David Armstrong on 21:18 - Aug 21 with 3127 viewsBuggalugs

Just seen this myself. Worked with him for several years in the 00’s.

RIP pal.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

RIP David Armstrong on 21:25 - Aug 21 with 3100 viewsSaintNick

RIP David Armstrong on 21:18 - Aug 21 by Buggalugs

Just seen this myself. Worked with him for several years in the 00’s.

RIP pal.

Middlesbrough have put it on their website but it hasn't appeared anywhere else

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

RIP David Armstrong on 21:39 - Aug 21 with 3046 views1teeminants

Very sad news . A legend for Southampton and Middlesbrough. Thanks for the memories David. RIP.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

RIP David Armstrong on 22:15 - Aug 21 with 2962 viewscocklebreath

Great player, first game I listened to on the radio he scored a hatrick, he instantly became my favourite player

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

RIP David Armstrong on 22:21 - Aug 21 with 2951 viewspjt50

So sad. Forever remembered for his hand in some fantastic goals — not least the 1984 winner at Fratton Park. RIP

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

RIP David Armstrong on 22:25 - Aug 21 with 2933 viewshedgeend61

RIP David Armstrong on 22:21 - Aug 21 by pjt50

So sad. Forever remembered for his hand in some fantastic goals — not least the 1984 winner at Fratton Park. RIP

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=steve+moran+goal+1984&docid=608039306517697

What a cross
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 22:27]
RIP David Armstrong on 23:04 - Aug 21 with 2864 viewspjt50

RIP David Armstrong on 22:25 - Aug 21 by hedgeend61

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=steve+moran+goal+1984&docid=608039306517697

What a cross

Especially with his wrong foot.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

RIP David Armstrong on 23:23 - Aug 21 with 2845 viewsA1079

I was shocked to hear this news.

A truly tremendous player who I was lucky to see play for Saints. David Armstrong either scored some great goals or was instrumental in great goals being scored none more memorable than the assist for Moran against Pompey. A brilliant midfielder.

Didn't get the recognition he deserved nationally because he did not play for a so called fashionable club but helped being a part of the best decade for Saints under McMenemy.
Login to get fewer ads

RIP David Armstrong on 23:26 - Aug 21 with 2847 viewsfranniesTache

My favourite player when i first started going and my first Saints "hero", funnily enough he scored a hatrick in the first every game i went to, Coventry at the Dell (Wallace also got a hatrick).

I've never understood why he's not talked about as one of our greatest midfielders, he had almost everything (well maybe he could've timed a tackle "a little" better at times).

And of course he's one of those involved in the second most iconic goal in our clubs history, and one of the most successful teams too.

RIP David.
RIP David Armstrong on 23:42 - Aug 21 with 2815 viewsSadoldgit

Very sad news. He was and always will be one of my favourite Saints players. A quality player and by all accounts a quality human being. RIP David.
RIP David Armstrong on 23:45 - Aug 21 with 2812 viewsCenturion

Totally dependable and a consummate professional.

David Armstrong was often overlooked but he did all the right things well, match after match.

RIP
RIP David Armstrong on 00:09 - Aug 22 with 2785 viewsBillyBlanco

Sad news. A top player who was a big part of a great era for us. Nice bloke too.
RIP David Armstrong on 00:28 - Aug 22 with 2773 viewsthissceptredsaint

Truly sad news, a wonderful player for saints, completely underrated
RIP David Armstrong on 07:11 - Aug 22 with 2629 viewsSalisburySaint

So sad

One of the star players of our golden period in the early 80s

RIP David
RIP David Armstrong on 11:56 - Aug 22 with 2438 viewsTimSaint

RIP David Armstrong on 23:26 - Aug 21 by franniesTache

My favourite player when i first started going and my first Saints "hero", funnily enough he scored a hatrick in the first every game i went to, Coventry at the Dell (Wallace also got a hatrick).

I've never understood why he's not talked about as one of our greatest midfielders, he had almost everything (well maybe he could've timed a tackle "a little" better at times).

And of course he's one of those involved in the second most iconic goal in our clubs history, and one of the most successful teams too.

RIP David.

I'm fairly sure he only got 1 goal that day v Coventry and it was Steve Moran that got the other hat trick to accompany Danny Wallace. I think Moran got the match ball as well, for getting his 3 before Danny !! I also went to the game 2 seasons earlier when we drew 5-5 at home to Cov !!

As a young fan In the early 80's, Armstrong was my 3rd favourite Saint, behind Channon and Williams, which was kind of leftfield at the time, as everyone at school was on the Keegan bandwagon. Armstrong played in the same position as me (the other left footer in our team already had the LB berth) and unlike me, had the knack of popping up to score some great and crucial goals. I think he averaged 10 goals a season from open play over his 6 years with us - oh to have a midfielder like that today !! I felt he should have had more England caps (3) as well, but perhaps that is me being biased, or him playing for an unfashionable club. Either way, his (large at the time) transfer fee was more than returned with performances and goals !!

RIP David and thank you for all the memories

TimSaint

RIP David Armstrong on 12:26 - Aug 22 with 2385 viewsfranniesTache

RIP David Armstrong on 11:56 - Aug 22 by TimSaint

I'm fairly sure he only got 1 goal that day v Coventry and it was Steve Moran that got the other hat trick to accompany Danny Wallace. I think Moran got the match ball as well, for getting his 3 before Danny !! I also went to the game 2 seasons earlier when we drew 5-5 at home to Cov !!

As a young fan In the early 80's, Armstrong was my 3rd favourite Saint, behind Channon and Williams, which was kind of leftfield at the time, as everyone at school was on the Keegan bandwagon. Armstrong played in the same position as me (the other left footer in our team already had the LB berth) and unlike me, had the knack of popping up to score some great and crucial goals. I think he averaged 10 goals a season from open play over his 6 years with us - oh to have a midfielder like that today !! I felt he should have had more England caps (3) as well, but perhaps that is me being biased, or him playing for an unfashionable club. Either way, his (large at the time) transfer fee was more than returned with performances and goals !!

RIP David and thank you for all the memories

Ah you might be right, turns out almost 40 years don't work well on the memory!
RIP David Armstrong on 12:41 - Aug 22 with 2366 viewsGRIM

He was quality.
A natural left sided midfield player.
He was still a young man who lived just up the road from me In Fair Oak.
Met him on numerous occasions & he was quality off the pitch as well.
A sad loss but some of us have very fond memories of watching him play for Saints & that sweet left peg of his.
RIP David Armstrong on 13:19 - Aug 22 with 2301 viewskingslandstand1

RIP David Armstrong on 22:25 - Aug 21 by hedgeend61

What a cross

Forever a legend for that cross!
RIP David Armstrong on 13:22 - Aug 22 with 2296 viewskingslandstand1

Genuine midfield genius and so many great memories from those golden years in the 80's. Dare I say another typical Laurie signing who people thought had seen his best years

When I read of his passing it really hit a chord

RIP indeed
RIP David Armstrong on 13:34 - Aug 22 with 2243 viewskingslandstand1

RIP David Armstrong on 23:26 - Aug 21 by franniesTache

RIP David.

Was that not the 8-2 win? I remember Wallace (D) and Steve Moran getting the hattricks as they had to fight (not literally I don't think) for the match ball and almost certainly David Armstrong who got one of the others as Tim Saint has said
RIP David Armstrong on 14:06 - Aug 22 with 2203 viewsfranniesTache

RIP David Armstrong on 13:34 - Aug 22 by kingslandstand1

Was that not the 8-2 win? I remember Wallace (D) and Steve Moran getting the hattricks as they had to fight (not literally I don't think) for the match ball and almost certainly David Armstrong who got one of the others as Tim Saint has said

Yup it was the 8-2, and my memory was playing tricks on me, turns out a game almost 40 years ago when i wasn't even 5 isn't quite as solid in my memory as i thought
RIP David Armstrong on 14:36 - Aug 22 with 2184 viewskingslandstand1

RIP David Armstrong on 14:06 - Aug 22 by franniesTache

Yup it was the 8-2, and my memory was playing tricks on me, turns out a game almost 40 years ago when i wasn't even 5 isn't quite as solid in my memory as i thought

My worry is that I can remember Ron Davies scoring 4 in a 6-2 trouncing of Villa as an 8 year old (think that was my first, but I know the sun was shining!) but only cos I've read about it and still have the Football Echo somewhere to prove it! Just don't ask me who made the crosses for big Ron to score from! Though I'm guessing it was Paine and Sydenham and he got some of the goals with his head .................

Dirk to the rescue please
RIP David Armstrong on 10:23 - Aug 26 with 1874 viewssaint68

A genuine nice guy, will be greatly missed by anyone who had the pleasure of seeing him play.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024