Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match day thread 16:21 - Jul 29 with 4036 viewsButty101

Listening to it on radio Solent and it sounds like dull tippy tappy nothing happening game. Shame as I liked the look of the lineup and thought it looked exciting .
Can we get a clean sheet ?

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Match day thread on 16:31 - Jul 29 with 3642 viewsButty101

No we can’t keep a clean sheet

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Match day thread on 16:45 - Jul 29 with 3592 views10i

Same old Problems, Not getting the Ball in the net and marking mistakes while definding counter attacks...
When Stephens (who would have been Red carded after a few Minutes if it hadn't been a friendly) and Adam Armstrong get such prominent roles in a Team you really have to worry how that should lead to Promotion in the end...
Match day thread on 17:33 - Jul 29 with 3438 viewsSouthamptonfan

I went to the game. It was a good start with lots of possession and there seemed to be intent to get forward, it wasn't too bad. But then it all petered out. They scored and we lost our way. They were strong and physical and we tried to pass it into the net. It was very disappointing in the end and the same old problems looked to be there. Lots of good play but again we lost because we couldn't score and a defender switched off for their goal.

Tella looks handy but had little service. Alcarez had a few shots but apart from that just pass, pass, pass to nothing. We really need a top quality strong striker to be honest.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 17:36]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Match day thread on 17:37 - Jul 29 with 3421 views1teeminants

I was at the game and I’ve got to say it was pretty dull with nothing really created.It was just possession football where we never looked like scoring but also never looked like conceding either. Nobody really stood out and I left dissapointed but it was just a friendly I guess.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Match day thread on 18:04 - Jul 29 with 3343 viewsgrumpy

Desperately need a Goalkeeper and Striker.
Match day thread on 18:07 - Jul 29 with 3332 viewsRon11

Match day thread on 17:33 - Jul 29 by Southamptonfan

I went to the game. It was a good start with lots of possession and there seemed to be intent to get forward, it wasn't too bad. But then it all petered out. They scored and we lost our way. They were strong and physical and we tried to pass it into the net. It was very disappointing in the end and the same old problems looked to be there. Lots of good play but again we lost because we couldn't score and a defender switched off for their goal.

Tella looks handy but had little service. Alcarez had a few shots but apart from that just pass, pass, pass to nothing. We really need a top quality strong striker to be honest.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 17:36]

'Had little service'.
That was our strikers' problem last season, so nothing's changed.
Match day thread on 18:18 - Jul 29 with 3314 viewsIfonly

I didn't go. I have a question for those that did.

One positive might be that we didn't give any stupid goals away by trying to pass it around at the back. Was that because Alkmaar didn't really press hard or was it because we were good enough to pass it through the press?
Match day thread on 18:22 - Jul 29 with 3295 viewsSouthamptonfan

Match day thread on 18:07 - Jul 29 by Ron11

'Had little service'.
That was our strikers' problem last season, so nothing's changed.

Having seen some of Tella's goals for Burnley, there was a lot of killer quick passes that Tella got on the end of and sprinted towards goal and scored. With Saints, it just seems so congested, no space and nobody creating any clear chances. Maybe who we played today had something to do with it, they seemed like a defensively sound, well organised team, but again we just couldn't find a way through, even with Tella up front, who scored for fun last year. We really do need an Ings type player that just turns on a sixpence on the edge of the box and scores a a cracker to open up the game. It's all too predictable.

Login to get fewer ads

Match day thread on 18:24 - Jul 29 with 3278 viewsSouthamptonfan

Match day thread on 18:18 - Jul 29 by Ifonly

One positive might be that we didn't give any stupid goals away by trying to pass it around at the back. Was that because Alkmaar didn't really press hard or was it because we were good enough to pass it through the press?

Good question. We did pass it around the back, but AZ didn't really press us too much. It worked more effectively today, because AZ just didn't press too much. It worked in terms of having more of the ball and there was some good football in the first half, but we couldn't score. AZ were definitely more of a defensive unit and were happy to watch us pass it around, especially when they got the goal. They just sat deep and watched us pass it to death in front of them. They were deep so there was nowhere to pass it, other than sideways and backwards. They marked up Tella and Armstrong, and we couldn't create any clear cut chances.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 18:30]

Match day thread on 19:47 - Jul 29 with 3099 viewsIfonly

Match day thread on 18:24 - Jul 29 by Southamptonfan

Good question. We did pass it around the back, but AZ didn't really press us too much. It worked more effectively today, because AZ just didn't press too much. It worked in terms of having more of the ball and there was some good football in the first half, but we couldn't score. AZ were definitely more of a defensive unit and were happy to watch us pass it around, especially when they got the goal. They just sat deep and watched us pass it to death in front of them. They were deep so there was nowhere to pass it, other than sideways and backwards. They marked up Tella and Armstrong, and we couldn't create any clear cut chances.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 18:30]

Thanks. This is what RM has to sort out if he is going to make his system work. Our passing game isn't good enough at the moment, so when teams press us high, we give away stupid goals and when they sit deep so as to not leave gaps, we are not good enough to create chances. We need to get to a point where we can play against either style, but at the moment we struggle against both. It's not surprising because as others have said, this is much the same as last season. To make his system work, RM has to take one of the weakest aspects of our game and turn it in to the strongest.
Match day thread on 20:29 - Jul 29 with 3007 viewsSFC_Referee

Match day thread on 18:04 - Jul 29 by grumpy

Tbf as much as I agree that we do need a new keeper, there’s not exactly much Bazunu could’ve done about their goal. Although I wasn’t watching the game that seems to be the only major stuff he had to deal with

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

Match day thread on 22:24 - Jul 29 with 2865 viewsFlamingbankers

In all honesty , having watched today's game, I can't see much difference from last year. We're still trying to play out from the back - and getting caught occasionally. We're still getting caught out on the wings when teams counterattack and play simple one twos. We're still relying on Alcarez to produce a bit of magic. The midfield are still ineffective with creative impetus. The forwards are still under-supplied, unaggressive and ineffective.

Presently, I think Alcarez and Smallbone in the centre of midfield would provide the best option. Although Smallbone does seem a bit lightweight for my liking. JWP seemed slow and laboursome - time to go I think, I only hope we get a fair price.

Must mention some good points though: Edozie and Tella are willing to take on defenders; Ryan Manning seems a reasonable left-back,; Charles is a steady player; and Bazunu had a steady game. I did predict we'd get second place this year but on this performance, and with the loss of several players to come, I realise I may have been too optimistic.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 22:25]
Match day thread on 00:16 - Jul 30 with 2767 viewsChesham_Saint

A week or so away and I’m already dreading the new season. Hope this guy isn’t as big a tvvat as I feared….

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Match day thread on 00:33 - Jul 30 with 2750 viewsSteveMoron

Looked ok to me.
When it matters, they'll be fine.
Match day thread on 07:34 - Jul 30 with 2628 viewskernow

When did we last win at home?
Got my Norwich ticket, ever hopeful.
Match day thread on 09:15 - Jul 30 with 2505 viewsMattFinish

Spot on Grumps. We’ve had one decent striker since Pelle left and I think that’s 4 pre season games where a shot straight at our keeper has gone under his body
Match day thread on 09:37 - Jul 30 with 2481 viewssaint22

Ad nauseum
As I have posted countless times we will never fkn learn
We haven’t sorted keeper defence or striker for seasons and that’s why we are where we are
If we ignore it again it will be league 1
Match day thread on 10:34 - Jul 30 with 2399 viewscocklebreath

Match day thread on 00:16 - Jul 30 by Chesham_Saint

A week or so away and I’m already dreading the new season. Hope this guy isn’t as big a tvvat as I feared….

Can’t wait for the new season, cheer up you old fooker

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Match day thread on 11:16 - Jul 30 with 2361 viewsChesham_Saint

Match day thread on 10:34 - Jul 30 by cocklebreath

Can’t wait for the new season, cheer up you old fooker

😇

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Match day thread on 11:36 - Jul 30 with 2326 viewskingslandstand1

Match day thread on 07:34 - Jul 30 by kernow

When did we last win at home?
Got my Norwich ticket, ever hopeful.

I'd be happy with a draw in that one against a team that appear settled, maybe were hopeful to bounce back up last season so will try harder this one. They probably know their starting line up and we're still selling and buying and have players that want to go or don't know where they will be in a few weeks time. They'll take their full allocation of tickets and be vociferous. Let's hope we all get behind the team as well

But a win on Friday and you never know what's gonna happen!
Match day thread on 13:04 - Jul 30 with 2233 viewskernow

Got my ticket for that one too.
Hope I'm not a jinx.
Match day thread on 18:00 - Jul 30 with 2057 viewsLondonSaint76

Match day thread on 18:18 - Jul 29 by Ifonly

This is what the AZ captain Jordi Classie said after the game in answer to your question:

“It’s always nice to be back, I have seen some nice people who I had worked with so it’s always nice to be back,” he said.

“I think Saints are really well, we didn’t expect they are that good – how they play with the short passes and combinations, I give them a good chance to play at the top of the league this season.

“It was difficult for us physically but also with how they play and press. The communications between the centre-backs and midfielders, the triangles, it was really good,” Clasie added.

“I have not seen that many times, you have Barcelona and Man City – and of course, it is a different level with Southampton – but the way they tried to play I really loved.

“I hope that they come back into the top league and get promoted again. Especially the first half was difficult for us, our team want to press always.

“But it was difficult because when we tried to press, they broke our lines constantly. In the first 45 minutes, it was tough for us – we’ll have to learn from this.”

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Match day thread on 18:10 - Jul 30 with 2045 viewsRon11

Match day thread on 18:00 - Jul 30 by LondonSaint76

This is what the AZ captain Jordi Classie said after the game in answer to your question:

“It’s always nice to be back, I have seen some nice people who I had worked with so it’s always nice to be back,” he said.

“I think Saints are really well, we didn’t expect they are that good – how they play with the short passes and combinations, I give them a good chance to play at the top of the league this season.

“It was difficult for us physically but also with how they play and press. The communications between the centre-backs and midfielders, the triangles, it was really good,” Clasie added.

“I have not seen that many times, you have Barcelona and Man City – and of course, it is a different level with Southampton – but the way they tried to play I really loved.

“I hope that they come back into the top league and get promoted again. Especially the first half was difficult for us, our team want to press always.

“But it was difficult because when we tried to press, they broke our lines constantly. In the first 45 minutes, it was tough for us – we’ll have to learn from this.”

They still managed to win though!
Match day thread on 19:55 - Jul 30 with 1952 viewsUTS1885

We need CBs and obviously goalscorers
Match day thread on 21:22 - Jul 30 with 1884 viewsgrumpy

We need help
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024