Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“Stay Alert” 09:32 - May 10 with 11297 viewsPatfromPoole

Well, there’s a “how long is a piece of string?” slogan if ever I heard one.......

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

“Stay Alert” on 18:34 - May 10 with 666 viewskentsouthampton

“Stay Alert” on 18:01 - May 10 by Boris_

Who said it was no worse than flu?

It's what you're implying, you're saying it's not that bad and we should all get on with it, since when has something with a comparable mortality rate to Ebola been 'not that bad'?
“Stay Alert” on 18:35 - May 10 with 664 viewssolent_toffee

“Stay Alert” on 16:15 - May 10 by Vagina_Dentata

I know a few teachers in the Romsey area too. Honestly, the work evasion you’re talking about isn’t happening.

My nephew is a primary school teacher, 23 year old and in his second year of teaching. He’s working full hours including evenings and weekends going into school for key worker and vulnerable kids as well as preparing and delivering online classes and dropping off and marking other work. He’s also constant contact to support parents, many of whom are two or three times as old as he is.

I couldn’t be more proud of him, cracking lad doing a great job. My God daughter works in the same school and is doing the same.

People go into teaching because they are passionate about teaching and developing kids not to sit at home.

Boris’ experience of teachers is the exception not the norm.
“Stay Alert” on 18:45 - May 10 with 650 viewsBoris_

“Stay Alert” on 18:34 - May 10 by kentsouthampton

It's what you're implying, you're saying it's not that bad and we should all get on with it, since when has something with a comparable mortality rate to Ebola been 'not that bad'?

No, I wasn't comparing ( although you definitely could compare flu and Covid in child cases, but not adult ones ) - I was giving an example of a contagious virus which can kill children. Pneumonia being another one which hospitalises 50,000 children each year.

You have linked adult cases which is not what we are discussing, the point I am making is that:

a) All current global evidence suggests that Children are unlikely to transmit the disease to adults - so it's not as dangerous as teachers and unions are trying to make out.

b) The likelyhood of a child becoming critically ill and dying of Covid-19 who has no underlying medical conditions is almost non-existent, a child is more likely to be killed in an RTA or struck by lightening on the way to school.

Poll: Claude Puel

“Stay Alert” on 18:46 - May 10 with 647 viewsRednWight

“Stay Alert” on 16:14 - May 10 by Boris_

I am lucky that we have a great team of staff, most of which are proactively asking to come back and I don't expect any of them to complain when they are called back off furlough.

I can see real issues in many businesses though with staff refusing to come back off furlough as they have become used to free money for sitting at home and will invent 'dangers' to justify them not returning which HR departments will have to navigate through.

So far in this thread you’ve displayed incredible psychic abilities by knowing the professions of people on Twitter you’ve suggested better knowledge of how the virus spreads than the best brains in the world and apparently your children are in their twenties but your friends children are at primary school Your a little strange aren’t you ?

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

“Stay Alert” on 18:49 - May 10 with 638 viewsSaintsforeverj

“Stay Alert” on 18:35 - May 10 by solent_toffee

My nephew is a primary school teacher, 23 year old and in his second year of teaching. He’s working full hours including evenings and weekends going into school for key worker and vulnerable kids as well as preparing and delivering online classes and dropping off and marking other work. He’s also constant contact to support parents, many of whom are two or three times as old as he is.

I couldn’t be more proud of him, cracking lad doing a great job. My God daughter works in the same school and is doing the same.

People go into teaching because they are passionate about teaching and developing kids not to sit at home.

You are absolutely right. I know a few teachers in the family. They are dedicated, hard working people who yes, are always working, reading through papers, planning lessons, writing reports, contacting troubled families etc etc. One of them has been attacked from a parent for suggesting that their child should stop using racist language and one has been on a restraint course as they have to restrain a violent autistic child daily as well as trying to teach. Constantly has bite marks etc up her arm. This is as well as sometimes yes it is true, 15 hour days. They tell me they are stressed out but do it for the kids they teach.

But you know what, if you have a degree, especially in maths, science, English, you can earn triple what teachers earn in other jobs. This applies to a few jobs of course but the TV adverts for teachers is because most go and earn a lot more as an accountant, translator or whatever with far less hassle. The majority of teachers do a great job and don't deserve the lazy label that a few people apply.
[Post edited 10 May 2020 18:53]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

“Stay Alert” on 18:49 - May 10 with 638 viewsBoris_

“Stay Alert” on 18:46 - May 10 by RednWight

So far in this thread you’ve displayed incredible psychic abilities by knowing the professions of people on Twitter you’ve suggested better knowledge of how the virus spreads than the best brains in the world and apparently your children are in their twenties but your friends children are at primary school Your a little strange aren’t you ?

I don't have any knowledge on how the virus spreads, I am just quoting the experts. It's not me that is arguing against the facts, I am simply quoting them mush.

And yes, I had my kids in my teens mush when in the army. An early starter. Is that strange?

“Stay Alert” on 18:53 - May 10 with 633 viewsBoris_

“Stay Alert” on 18:35 - May 10 by solent_toffee

OK mush, there's one question I still can't find the answer to.

Supermarket workers know the dangers, they are willing to go to work and accept the risks.

Bin Men know the risks, they just get on with it.

Care Workers are under incredible stress and danger, in many cases for minimum wage - their duty of care comes before their own health.

Postmen/women are extremely at risk, however they know this country is at war and people need their mail more than ever so they carry on.

Question: Why is it that Teachers are the only ones who are unwilling to take a risk? ( even though scientific evidence suggests they are least at risk from the above groups )
[Post edited 10 May 2020 18:54]

“Stay Alert” on 19:04 - May 10 with 612 viewssolent_toffee

“Stay Alert” on 18:53 - May 10 by Boris_

OK mush, there's one question I still can't find the answer to.

Supermarket workers know the dangers, they are willing to go to work and accept the risks.

Bin Men know the risks, they just get on with it.

Care Workers are under incredible stress and danger, in many cases for minimum wage - their duty of care comes before their own health.

Postmen/women are extremely at risk, however they know this country is at war and people need their mail more than ever so they carry on.

Question: Why is it that Teachers are the only ones who are unwilling to take a risk? ( even though scientific evidence suggests they are least at risk from the above groups )
[Post edited 10 May 2020 18:54]

Who says they are unwilling to take a risk? As I’ve said before the teachers I know are still going to school, whether it’s for 5 kids or 30 kids they are still going to school, still putting themselves at risk.

It’s not their decision to close the schools, it’s the governments.

As I said people don’t go into teaching to stay at home.
Login to get fewer ads

“Stay Alert” on 19:27 - May 10 with 572 viewsdirk_doone

= End of lockdown in all but name.

People should go back to work on Monday and there will be ulimited outdoor activity allowed from Wednesday.

As Boris has said, the only exception appears to be schools, which won't be allowed to resume full classes until next month and as Toffee has said, that delay is not a decision made by teachers so I don't really understand why Boris is blaming them for it rather than the government which made that decision.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

“Stay Alert” on 19:35 - May 10 with 556 viewsOccasional_Showers

I’m confused, what shops are reopening?

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

“Stay Alert” on 19:36 - May 10 with 553 viewscocklebreath

“Stay Alert” on 19:04 - May 10 by solent_toffee

Who says they are unwilling to take a risk? As I’ve said before the teachers I know are still going to school, whether it’s for 5 kids or 30 kids they are still going to school, still putting themselves at risk.

It’s not their decision to close the schools, it’s the governments.

As I said people don’t go into teaching to stay at home.

Boris has a bee in his bonnet about teachers because although he is now a successful businessman he feels his teachers failed him, he could have got to the top quicker with good teaching.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

“Stay Alert” on 19:36 - May 10 with 551 viewsSaintsforeverj

“Stay Alert” on 19:35 - May 10 by Occasional_Showers

Shops are not opening until June 1st.

“Stay Alert” on 19:37 - May 10 with 544 viewsOccasional_Showers

“Stay Alert” on 19:36 - May 10 by Saintsforeverj

Shops are not opening until June 1st.

Does that include car dealerships? Garden centres?

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

“Stay Alert” on 19:38 - May 10 with 544 viewsdirk_doone

I don't think the government has worked out the fine details yet. There was just the general message that people should go back to work on Monday. I've just heard a reporter say that 'hospitality' won't be allowed until July - presumably that means pubs and restaurants.

[Post edited 10 May 2020 19:42]

“Stay Alert” on 19:39 - May 10 with 539 viewsgrumpy

“Stay Alert” on 19:37 - May 10 by Occasional_Showers

I think the finer details will be put forward tomorrow in parliament.
“Stay Alert” on 19:43 - May 10 with 521 viewscynicalsaint

that;s YOUR prime minister.

absolute cluster***
“Stay Alert” on 19:43 - May 10 with 520 viewsSaintsforeverj

“Stay Alert” on 19:37 - May 10 by Occasional_Showers

I think we will get more detail in parliament tomorrow. General shops will all open June 1st, if safe. Some will open this week like garden centres as they can be managed with socially distancing etc.

“Stay Alert” on 19:43 - May 10 with 519 viewsdirk_doone

“Stay Alert” on 19:39 - May 10 by grumpy

I think the finer details will be put forward tomorrow in parliament.

I agree.

“Stay Alert” on 19:44 - May 10 with 516 viewsBoris_

Not sure I understand the social restrictions from Boris' statement.

Technically now it's legal ( or more to the point not illegal ) to meet family and friends outdoors as long as you're 2 metres apart.

“Stay Alert” on 19:46 - May 10 with 510 viewsBicester_North

“Stay Alert” on 19:43 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

that;s YOUR prime minister.

absolute cluster***

Why’s that? What would you do?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

“Stay Alert” on 19:48 - May 10 with 499 viewscynicalsaint

“Stay Alert” on 19:46 - May 10 by Bicester_North

Why’s that? What would you do?

i would have the courage of my convictions. either go hard on herd immunity or lockdown properly. from the off the government have just followed / reacted and been more worried about polls than results. too scared to make a call for themselves.
“Stay Alert” on 19:51 - May 10 with 494 viewsBicester_North

“Stay Alert” on 19:48 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

i would have the courage of my convictions. either go hard on herd immunity or lockdown properly. from the off the government have just followed / reacted and been more worried about polls than results. too scared to make a call for themselves.

As we still don’t fully understand the virus from a scientific point of view that is an impossible decision. A fine balance between reducing covid deaths and keeping the economy going as much as possible to avoid deadly social and economic ruin.

“Stay Alert” on 19:54 - May 10 with 485 viewscynicalsaint

“Stay Alert” on 19:51 - May 10 by Bicester_North

As we still don’t fully understand the virus from a scientific point of view that is an impossible decision. A fine balance between reducing covid deaths and keeping the economy going as much as possible to avoid deadly social and economic ruin.

agreed. personally i would adopt the precautionary principle. this is potentially a ruin scenario.

but the government don't have a position - they are playing to the gallery. either lock it down hard and assume the worst possible outcome (my preference) or have the courage of your convictions and do it Sweden style.

I don't know who's right. but i know that indecision and a lack of conviction isn't delivering any sort of outcome.
“Stay Alert” on 19:58 - May 10 with 481 viewsBicester_North

“Stay Alert” on 19:54 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

agreed. personally i would adopt the precautionary principle. this is potentially a ruin scenario.

but the government don't have a position - they are playing to the gallery. either lock it down hard and assume the worst possible outcome (my preference) or have the courage of your convictions and do it Sweden style.

I don't know who's right. but i know that indecision and a lack of conviction isn't delivering any sort of outcome.

Nobody does know, so how can people be so sure that the government stance of allowing some freedom and continuation of construction and manufacturing and smaller businesses, which are vital to our economy, while still advising social distancing must be respected, wrong?

“Stay Alert” on 20:00 - May 10 with 474 viewscynicalsaint

“Stay Alert” on 19:58 - May 10 by Bicester_North

Nobody does know, so how can people be so sure that the government stance of allowing some freedom and continuation of construction and manufacturing and smaller businesses, which are vital to our economy, while still advising social distancing must be respected, wrong?

but they are deliberately being obtuse in the guidance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024