Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
“Stay Alert” 09:32 - May 10 with 11313 viewsPatfromPoole

Well, there’s a “how long is a piece of string?” slogan if ever I heard one.......

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

“Stay Alert” on 21:17 - May 10 with 675 viewsOccasional_Showers

“Stay Alert” on 21:14 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

yup - so remove the ambiguity. either unlock, or don't unlock.

the ambiguity / obfuscation is just creating uncertainty.

It’s not ambiguous. Details will be forthcoming. Work will ring me if I’m required to go in.

I think you’re just looking for something to criticise them for. Whatever they did you’d find fault.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

“Stay Alert” on 21:19 - May 10 with 675 viewscynicalsaint

“Stay Alert” on 21:17 - May 10 by Occasional_Showers

It’s not ambiguous. Details will be forthcoming. Work will ring me if I’m required to go in.

I think you’re just looking for something to criticise them for. Whatever they did you’d find fault.

is it unreasonable to ask for our leaders to lead?

jam tomorrow isn't a great story when people's livelihoods are at stake.
“Stay Alert” on 21:20 - May 10 with 665 viewsBicester_North

“Stay Alert” on 21:19 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

is it unreasonable to ask for our leaders to lead?

jam tomorrow isn't a great story when people's livelihoods are at stake.

People’s livelihoods have been kept alive by the balance, as has capacity within NHS critical care

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

“Stay Alert” on 21:23 - May 10 with 658 viewscynicalsaint

“Stay Alert” on 21:20 - May 10 by Bicester_North

People’s livelihoods have been kept alive by the balance, as has capacity within NHS critical care

people's livelihood has been kept alive via govt intervention. buying time. in the meantime the policy and the action have been dis-located.

what are the next steps as, from here, they are far from clear.
[Post edited 10 May 2020 21:26]
“Stay Alert” on 21:28 - May 10 with 651 viewsBicester_North

“Stay Alert” on 21:23 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

people's livelihood has been kept alive via govt intervention. buying time. in the meantime the policy and the action have been dis-located.

So the government has maintained livelihoods the best they can.

The next steps are as outlined providing the R rate is in check. Everything else worldwide, not just here, is constantly evolving.

“Stay Alert” on 21:31 - May 10 with 632 viewsOccasional_Showers

“Stay Alert” on 21:20 - May 10 by Bicester_North

Precisely. Cast your mind back and the objective all along has to make sure the NHS isn’t overwhelmed. As it is there is capacity for a slight rise in cases.

“Stay Alert” on 21:31 - May 10 with 639 viewsgrumpy

“Stay Alert” on 21:11 - May 10 by Bicester_North

So we stay in lockdown and manufacturing and construction and thousands of other small businesses could possibly collapse beyond repair, or could possibly not, but who knows? It’s trying to predict the future.
We all know people working on sites in London will use public transport, but what can you do?
Office staff can all work remotely so no excuse for them.

Its true manufacturing etc are suffering but if we have as they put it a' second spike'that would really be devastating.
Maybe we should watch the statistics of fatalities and numbers of new cases and make a decision from that.
I'm not saying I know any answers to this and I am sure the Government are trying their best to sort things out,but these latest measures are too vague.
[Post edited 10 May 2020 21:33]
“Stay Alert” on 21:32 - May 10 with 636 viewscynicalsaint

“Stay Alert” on 21:31 - May 10 by Occasional_Showers

Precisely. Cast your mind back and the objective all along has to make sure the NHS isn’t overwhelmed. As it is there is capacity for a slight rise in cases.

yup - they have capacity for a spike.

do they want one?
Login to get fewer ads

“Stay Alert” on 21:34 - May 10 with 620 viewsOccasional_Showers

“Stay Alert” on 21:23 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

Turn the taps on, if the NHS looks like being overwhelmed turn them off. And repeat until we achieve herd immunity. That’s got to be the plan. If we discover a vaccine great, but that’s just a hope. Much like people hoped the First World War would be over by Christmas.

“Stay Alert” on 21:38 - May 10 with 610 viewsOccasional_Showers

“Stay Alert” on 21:32 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

yup - they have capacity for a spike.

do they want one?

The term “spike” is wrong. A spike is when something shoots up then shoots back down just as quickly. That isn’t a characteristic we have seen or one that we will see.

“Stay Alert” on 21:38 - May 10 with 616 viewscynicalsaint

“Stay Alert” on 21:34 - May 10 by Occasional_Showers

Turn the taps on, if the NHS looks like being overwhelmed turn them off. And repeat until we achieve herd immunity. That’s got to be the plan. If we discover a vaccine great, but that’s just a hope. Much like people hoped the First World War would be over by Christmas.

so make that the explicit strategy then. stop f***** about with soft soap / rope a dope messaging.

that's what a real leader would do.
“Stay Alert” on 21:40 - May 10 with 607 viewscynicalsaint

“Stay Alert” on 21:38 - May 10 by Occasional_Showers

The term “spike” is wrong. A spike is when something shoots up then shoots back down just as quickly. That isn’t a characteristic we have seen or one that we will see.

found that quote yet?
“Stay Alert” on 21:47 - May 10 with 587 viewsOccasional_Showers

“Stay Alert” on 21:38 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

so make that the explicit strategy then. stop f***** about with soft soap / rope a dope messaging.

And have people like you having a meltdown. The strategy is very very clear, it’s been clear all along, and it’s the right strategy for a simple reason - there is no other strategy available. They can’t openly say they are going to unlock until the hospitals fill up, but if no vaccine is ever going to be available (which must be the working assumption) we need to get the economy going and keep the hospitalization level manageable while we build a naturally immune population.

This is the hard truth, but it’s not a hard truth the public (or the left who would fan the flames of panic) can hear in plain words.

“Stay Alert” on 21:50 - May 10 with 589 viewsBicester_North

“Stay Alert” on 21:38 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

The only country with similar density and industry as the Uk that has got on top of this is South Korea, and even they have “advised” the public what to do, rather than going all or nothing as you suggested.
What other “real leaders” have smashed it?

“Stay Alert” on 21:52 - May 10 with 585 viewscynicalsaint

“Stay Alert” on 21:47 - May 10 by Occasional_Showers

And have people like you having a meltdown. The strategy is very very clear, it’s been clear all along, and it’s the right strategy for a simple reason - there is no other strategy available. They can’t openly say they are going to unlock until the hospitals fill up, but if no vaccine is ever going to be available (which must be the working assumption) we need to get the economy going and keep the hospitalization level manageable while we build a naturally immune population.

This is the hard truth, but it’s not a hard truth the public (or the left who would fan the flames of panic) can hear in plain words.

i'm not having a meltdown.

i would just like our elected officials to provide a clear / coherent strategy thats all.

at the moment it appears they are reacting to events rather than planning ahead (14 day quarantine for incoming flights is the latest example) and managing via populist approval rather than making the tough calls that the situation, potentially, warrants (whether or not they play well to the masses).

Thats all i'm asking for.

Oh, and some evidence to support your assertion that i'm a tory.
“Stay Alert” on 21:56 - May 10 with 578 viewsBoris_

“Stay Alert” on 21:52 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

i would just like our elected officials to provide a clear / coherent strategy thats all.

at the moment it appears they are reacting to events rather than planning ahead (14 day quarantine for incoming flights is the latest example) and managing via populist approval rather than making the tough calls that the situation, potentially, warrants (whether or not they play well to the masses).

The airport quarantine coming in now rather than earlier makes sense to me. What is the point stopping a couple of hundred infected people coming in and having to police a quarantine when at the peak, hundreds of thousands of people were infected concurrently.

It’s all about focusing resource.

Now the virus is under control, it makes sense that we can try and drive the amount of people infected down even more.

Poll: Claude Puel

“Stay Alert” on 21:57 - May 10 with 574 viewsBicester_North

Clear and coherent means one extreme or the other for you, that’s not what they are going to do and it requires people to keep their distance as much as humanly possible without overly killing the economy.
The 2 big ifs are the public does their part and the testing and tracing is done properly as in South Korea which is the government’s biggest test.

“Stay Alert” on 22:04 - May 10 with 561 viewscynicalsaint

“Stay Alert” on 21:57 - May 10 by Bicester_North

Clear and coherent means one extreme or the other for you, that’s not what they are going to do and it requires people to keep their distance as much as humanly possible without overly killing the economy.
The 2 big ifs are the public does their part and the testing and tracing is done properly as in South Korea which is the government’s biggest test.

not quite. my stance is...

'doing their part' is now subjective. how do you expect individuals to balance their need to earn money (post furlough) and gain for the economy as a whole? that shouldn't be something any one individual needs to balance. and...

we dont have a credible test / trace strategy (others do as you note)

the govt is drifting when it needs to provide real leadership.
“Stay Alert” on 22:05 - May 10 with 559 viewskingslandstand1

Pt, I think yo umust have one of the records for starting the longest threads!!!!

Don't think Nck will be too worried about number of posts in this one
“Stay Alert” on 22:05 - May 10 with 551 viewsOccasional_Showers

You would have a faux meltdown, as would the entire left wing.

I would love it if the government could be completely honest, but when there’s people like you on the one side looking to make political gains, and the stupid masses who would listen to you and panic, the government need to play down the harsh realities.

“Stay Alert” on 22:07 - May 10 with 552 viewscynicalsaint

“Stay Alert” on 22:05 - May 10 by Occasional_Showers

I would love it if the government could be completely honest, but when there’s people like you on the one side looking to make political gains, and the stupid masses who would listen to you and panic, the government need to play down the harsh realities.

so now i am left wing?

make your mind up dune? you were quizzing me on who my favourite conservative PM was a minute a go.

tw4t
[Post edited 10 May 2020 22:08]
“Stay Alert” on 22:10 - May 10 with 548 viewsBicester_North

“Stay Alert” on 22:04 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

not quite. my stance is...

'doing their part' is now subjective. how do you expect individuals to balance their need to earn money (post furlough) and gain for the economy as a whole? that shouldn't be something any one individual needs to balance. and...

we dont have a credible test / trace strategy (others do as you note)

the govt is drifting when it needs to provide real leadership.

“Doing their part” was subjective in a lot of the countries that have successfully contained it.

No it shouldn’t be something any individual needs to balance, but this is a completely unprecedented situation in our generation which nobody in the world has an answer to at this point.

As I said, the testing is what the government must sort.

“Stay Alert” on 22:13 - May 10 with 546 viewsSadoldgit

Just read an interesting comment from a teacher. The government are using teachers as baby sitters again.

Johnson isn’t big on detail is he? He is really great on the big picture either. Blister and waffle cut it normally with him, but these aren’t normal times and all he is doing is confusing people even more. Why is it important to stay at home in Scotland, NI and Wales but not here (as long as we are alert)?

My boss sent me a text tonight and asked me what it meant. We can go back to work as we can’t work from home but he runs a shop and there was no mention of non essential shops opening from tomorrow.

The whole point of being PM is to properly articulate information. All the way through this so far Johnson has made a real pig’s ear of imparting information. It’s almost as if he doesn’t have a mental grasp on what is going on.
“Stay Alert” on 22:14 - May 10 with 544 viewskernow

“Stay Alert” on 22:05 - May 10 by Occasional_Showers

Are these the "stupid masses" that elected, by a landslide, the less than "completely honest" people's government?
We're in big trouble.

A bird needs a left wing and a right if it wants to straighten up and fly right.
“Stay Alert” on 22:15 - May 10 with 532 viewsOccasional_Showers

“Stay Alert” on 22:07 - May 10 by cynicalsaint

so now i am left wing?

make your mind up dune? you were quizzing me on who my favourite conservative PM was a minute a go.

tw4t
[Post edited 10 May 2020 22:08]

I don’t think anyone actually believed you ever voted Tory, but it was something you mentioned when you appeared (notice I didn’t say reappeared...).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024