Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early days but 21:56 - Oct 25 with 4370 viewskingslandstand1

Just looked at the league table and of the "big six" there's only one of them in the top 8!!

Ok,that could (will) change with game in hand etc, but does it not show why the Prem is the best league in the world for competition
Early days but on 22:09 - Oct 25 with 2704 viewsSadoldgit

As you say though it is early days. It wasn’t long ago that they didn’t bother publishing league tables until 6 games had been completed.
Early days but on 22:12 - Oct 25 with 2700 viewsdirk_doone

It is wide open. Nobody has any idea who is going to win it but it will probably be the 7th different team in 9 years. We have as much of a chance as Leicester did in 2016 and possibly more of a chance than we did in 1984, when Liverpool were so dominant.

We need to stay injury-free like Leicester did in 2016 because we don't have the quality backups that the rich clubs have. We just need to stay lucky.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2020 22:21]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Early days but on 22:20 - Oct 25 with 2674 viewsbornonthemiltonroad

Early days but on 22:12 - Oct 25 by dirk_doone

It is wide open. Nobody has any idea who is going to win it but it will probably be the 7th different team in 9 years. We have as much of a chance as Leicester did in 2016 and possibly more of a chance than we did in 1984, when Liverpool were so dominant.

We need to stay injury-free like Leicester did in 2016 because we don't have the quality backups that the rich clubs have. We just need to stay lucky.

Absolutely the best league. And if it ain’t broke ..............
Early days but on 22:25 - Oct 25 with 2661 viewsdirk_doone

Of course, we could fall flat on our faces and end up in 14th place but like several other teams, we are in with a shot at the title. Last week, Everton looked like the best team in the league. This week Saints totally bossed them. Who knows what will happen next?

Early days but on 22:28 - Oct 25 with 2652 viewsPatfromPoole

We don’t have a big enough squad ultimately.

We don’t have sufficient cover for either full-back or for The King.

But for people to be talking us up as contenders for the title shows what an astonishing job Ralph has done.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Early days but on 22:34 - Oct 25 with 2648 viewsSaintNick

Early days but on 22:28 - Oct 25 by PatfromPoole

But for people to be talking us up as contenders for the title shows what an astonishing job Ralph has done.

Im not quite sure we are serious title contenders, we have to be realistic, Liverpool are still joint top without breaking sweat, Chelsea, Spurs and Man City are only just behind us, they all have big squads and can see a season through.

The title will go to one of the big six

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Early days but on 22:36 - Oct 25 with 2645 viewsdirk_doone

The squad will be big enough if, like Leicester in 2016, we don't get injuries to key players. Remember, many of our rivals have European competitions to contend with and, therefore, are likely to pick up more injuries.

If the gods shine on us, we have a chance. I know it could all go wrong and we could end up in the bottom half of the table but, I just have a hunch that this year could be our year.

Early days but on 22:40 - Oct 25 with 2642 viewsInsideOut

Tottenham won't get a better chance for a while, if they can manage to be less Spursy for a change. Wide open like you say, but a lot of teams know they haven't got it in them this term. But the sky's the limit for any settled team playing well at the moment, including Saints.

I noticed us playing the ball around very confidently in tight spaces against Chelsea last week and they continued that with an almost nonchalant air about them today. I wouldn't say we played Everton off the park, but psychologically we were unperturbed throughout. Amazing for Saints really.

I'm not sure how we got here and who knows how long it will last but Ralph and his team are doing a great job, shining brightly in an otherwise dark period.

Poll: WTF is a little pompey ?

Login to get fewer ads

Early days but on 22:47 - Oct 25 with 2624 views1885_SFC

Should I be renewing my passport in readiness?

Just our luck; we'll make the Champions League for the first time EVER in our history... only for the pandemic to rule out all travel & all fans.

Old School is Cool

Early days but on 22:51 - Oct 25 with 2618 viewsdirk_doone

Early days but on 22:34 - Oct 25 by SaintNick

Im not quite sure we are serious title contenders, we have to be realistic, Liverpool are still joint top without breaking sweat, Chelsea, Spurs and Man City are only just behind us, they all have big squads and can see a season through.

Who are the big six anyway? They are always changing. Currently, Spurs look like the biggest and best team in the land.

As we have been one of the best 4 teams in the league since the restart last season, we are contenders. Remember Leicester's year in 2016. Let's have some optimism on here for a change and view it like that.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 7:14]

Early days but on 22:58 - Oct 25 with 2603 viewsSaintNick

Early days but on 22:51 - Oct 25 by dirk_doone

Who are the big six anyway? They are always changing. Currently, Spurs look like the biggest and best team in the land.

As we have been one of the best 4 teams in the league since the restart last season, we are contenders. Remember Leicester's year in 2016. Let's have some optimism on here for a change and view it like that.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 7:14]

Im all for optimism, but we have to be reallisticly cautious, we dont want to sound like our near neighbours who useevery win to tell everyone they will be world champions withing 3 years

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Early days but on 23:17 - Oct 25 with 2578 viewsdirk_doone

Early days but on 22:58 - Oct 25 by SaintNick

Im all for optimism, but we have to be reallisticly cautious, we dont want to sound like our near neighbours who useevery win to tell everyone they will be world champions withing 3 years

The difference is that we are 6th in the league and dreaming of what we might achieve while Little Pompey are 49th and still dreaming.

As I said, we could fall flat on our faces and end up 14th but, when there is a chance to dream, grasp it. Seasons like this don't come up often in a lifetime.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 9:47]

Early days but on 23:44 - Oct 25 with 2544 viewsSaintsforeverj

You heard it here first. Southampton to win the league.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Early days but on 00:06 - Oct 26 with 2528 viewsChesham_Saint

Agreed. Pretty much nothing would make me happier (given that Jennifer Anniston won’t be sitting on my face any time soon) but we aren’t going to win the league or come close. First two games people are pissing their pants as we lost. 3 wins later and now we’re possible champions?

What are we - collectively bi-polar, FFS?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Early days but on 07:15 - Oct 26 with 2437 viewskernow

Early days but on 00:06 - Oct 26 by Chesham_Saint

Agreed. Pretty much nothing would make me happier (given that Jennifer Anniston won’t be sitting on my face any time soon) but we aren’t going to win the league or come close. First two games people are pissing their pants as we lost. 3 wins later and now we’re possible champions?

What are we - collectively bi-polar, FFS?

Schizophrenic.
Early days but on 07:40 - Oct 26 with 2419 viewsdirk_doone

Our form since the restart last season:

P 15 W 8 D 4 L 3

Over a whole season that would leave us with 71 points, which would usually be good enough for a top 4 place. William Hill have us at 20/1 for a top 4 finish this season, which are realistic odds. As for actually winning the league I have to admit, at this stage, it looks far more likely to be Spurs, especially after their big win against us. But, we are not completely out of the frame yet.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 7:42]

Early days but on 07:44 - Oct 26 with 2413 viewsVagina_Dentata

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Early days but on 07:47 - Oct 26 with 2409 viewsdirk_doone

Early days but on 07:44 - Oct 26 by Vagina_Dentata

Leicester's goal difference the season before they won the league was -9.

Early days but on 07:51 - Oct 26 with 2396 viewsSalisburySaint

not getting carried away, but our best start to a season since 2014/15, when we got to 10 points after 5 games.

in most of past few seasons since then its taken 8 or 9 games to get to 10pts, last year it was 14 games, year before 17 games so much improved start.

Lets hope it can continue, but no easy games in next 4 matches, with Villa, Newcastle, Wolves and Man U coming up.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 7:52]
Early days but on 07:53 - Oct 26 with 2387 viewsJaySaint

Interesting that despite the hype of signing the greatest CM in the history of sport, Arsenal lost with Partey making his first start..

Not supposed to happen was it.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Early days but on 08:00 - Oct 26 with 2375 viewsdirk_doone

Early days but on 07:53 - Oct 26 by JaySaint

Interesting that despite the hype of signing the greatest CM in the history of sport, Arsenal lost with Partey making his first start..

Not supposed to happen was it.

Spurs' fans are saying that Hojbjerg has made the difference for them this season and that Mourinho was right in saying he was the final piece in the jigsaw. In a recent poll, they voted him one of their 4 best players so far this season, along with Son, Kane and Lloris. I don't regret us selling him, as he just didn't fit in here like he does there, while Walker-Peters does, and has been one of our 4 best players, so the exchange has worked out well for both clubs.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 8:02]

Early days but on 08:15 - Oct 26 with 2345 viewssolent_toffee

Last week on the Everton site, they were all getting giddy saying they were title contenders. This week, Saints fans are saying the same. I think both of them will be fighting for the 6th to 10th place, depending on injuries.

It’s such a strange season, no fans is having an impact, stupid kick off times, players missing games due to Covid, players living with the Covid situation like everyone else, referees seemingly getting worse and VAR a joke.

I think once Bale gets fit, he will have a massive impact. Think it will be Spurs and Liverpool fighting it out for the title.
Early days but on 08:25 - Oct 26 with 2327 viewsdirk_doone

Early days but on 08:15 - Oct 26 by solent_toffee

Last week on the Everton site, they were all getting giddy saying they were title contenders. This week, Saints fans are saying the same. I think both of them will be fighting for the 6th to 10th place, depending on injuries.

It’s such a strange season, no fans is having an impact, stupid kick off times, players missing games due to Covid, players living with the Covid situation like everyone else, referees seemingly getting worse and VAR a joke.

I think once Bale gets fit, he will have a massive impact. Think it will be Spurs and Liverpool fighting it out for the title.

It is very unpredictable and there have been some crazy results like Liverpool's 7-2 defeat to Villa, Man City's 5-2 home defeat to Leicester and Man United's 6-1 home defeat to Spurs.

Last week I thought it would be Everton; this week I think it will be Spurs. But, as you say, it is such a funny season, next week it could be someone completely different again. Saints are probably the 12th of the 12 teams in with a a chance.

Early days but on 09:50 - Oct 26 with 2260 viewssaint22

If we keep this form up then Ralph needs big backing in January then who knows what will happen.....?
Maybe that takeover will now be more attractive?
Early days but on 09:57 - Oct 26 with 2253 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

You know what will happen.

Saints will "do a Leicester" and sit clearly at the top in Jan/Feb or something. Then we'll have a national lockdown and sport will be banned again, but there will be SO many people with Coronavirus that this season they'll decide to cancel the league instead of restarting it.

Next season Saints will be therefore be 18th and dreadful. Mark Hughes will come back to steady the ship and take the club to 16th.

We are Saints, you just know it ...

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024