Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What to expect from Russell Martin 10:54 - May 20 with 7546 viewsresearchersaint

It sounds as though Russell Martin is the man that the board want and that an appointment could be imminent. I wrote here about his playing style, philosophy and what to expect if he does become manager. Hopefully it's helpful!

https://analyticsunited.co.uk/2023/05/20/what-to-expect-from-russell-martin/
What to expect from Russell Martin on 11:19 - May 20 with 5485 viewsIfonly

"However, when you consider his MK Dons side set a British record for passes leading to a goal — with 56 — it shows there is merit in keeping the ball moving."

No it doesn't. That's just one event. How about all the other times they passed the ball 50 times and went nowhere?

The only study that I'm aware of that looked at this was the famous one by Charles Hughes. From wiki:

Hughes presented his ideas in the magazine Match Analysis and concluded most goals were scored from three passes or fewer, therefore it was important to get the ball quickly forward as soon as possible. He based this analysis on over one hundred games at all levels, including games involving Liverpool and the Brazil national team, as well as many England youth games. His ideals were developed from those previously developed by World War II Wing Commander Charles Reep.[8] From his statistical analysis, Hughes emphasised the importance of particular areas of the field from where goals were most often scored. He called these areas the 'POMO' — Positions Of Maximum Opportunity — and asserted that players would score if the ball was played into the 'POMO' enough times. He stressed the importance of set plays and crosses into the penalty area.

That approach was taken to the extreme and ended up with England becoming the centre of long ball football before being ultimately rejected at the top level. Fashions come and fashions go ...

If you ask me, what works for Barcelona and City doesn't necessarily work for the likes of Brentford, Luton ... or Saints. We cannot afford the technically gifted players you need to make that style work.
What to expect from Russell Martin on 11:47 - May 20 with 5435 viewsdirk_doone

It would only be helpful if it put the club off appointing him as our manager.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

What to expect from Russell Martin on 13:36 - May 20 with 5350 viewsSaintandy66

Total suicide Ankersen look at the data who plays the most possession based football came up with Russell Martin doesn't matter about his record as a manager which is mediocre at best lost for words be gone by Xmas then we can move on to another date based manager
What to expect from Russell Martin on 13:48 - May 20 with 5336 viewsMytchettSaint

What to expect from Russell Martin on 11:19 - May 20 by Ifonly

"However, when you consider his MK Dons side set a British record for passes leading to a goal — with 56 — it shows there is merit in keeping the ball moving."

No it doesn't. That's just one event. How about all the other times they passed the ball 50 times and went nowhere?

The only study that I'm aware of that looked at this was the famous one by Charles Hughes. From wiki:

Hughes presented his ideas in the magazine Match Analysis and concluded most goals were scored from three passes or fewer, therefore it was important to get the ball quickly forward as soon as possible. He based this analysis on over one hundred games at all levels, including games involving Liverpool and the Brazil national team, as well as many England youth games. His ideals were developed from those previously developed by World War II Wing Commander Charles Reep.[8] From his statistical analysis, Hughes emphasised the importance of particular areas of the field from where goals were most often scored. He called these areas the 'POMO' — Positions Of Maximum Opportunity — and asserted that players would score if the ball was played into the 'POMO' enough times. He stressed the importance of set plays and crosses into the penalty area.

That approach was taken to the extreme and ended up with England becoming the centre of long ball football before being ultimately rejected at the top level. Fashions come and fashions go ...

If you ask me, what works for Barcelona and City doesn't necessarily work for the likes of Brentford, Luton ... or Saints. We cannot afford the technically gifted players you need to make that style work.

And if you don’t have the players that are technically gifted enough to make that style work, other teams press and press you when you are playing around with it at the back in the knowledge that an error is a near certainty, or you end up punting the ball upfield and giving away possession then.

I don’t particularly want to see route one football, but I am also fed up watch slow laborious, sideways/backways build up play that allows teams to reset and defend our toothless attacking play.

The spreadsheet gimps can do one if they think I’m in for another season of watching that dirge.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

What to expect from Russell Martin on 15:25 - May 20 with 5237 viewskingslandstand1

According to Adam Blackmore Martin now hasn't gone to the States to meet up with the owner as had been reported earlier, so maybe change of mind by someone
What to expect from Russell Martin on 15:33 - May 20 with 5229 viewsNinja9

What to expect from Russell Martin on 15:25 - May 20 by kingslandstand1

According to Adam Blackmore Martin now hasn't gone to the States to meet up with the owner as had been reported earlier, so maybe change of mind by someone

The Swansea owners .
Do try and keep up .
He was going to the states to meet the Swansea owners to discuss a new contract .
He cancelled the trip because he is obviously talking to Saints
[Post edited 20 May 2023 15:47]
What to expect from Russell Martin on 16:17 - May 20 with 5171 viewskingslandstand1

What to expect from Russell Martin on 15:33 - May 20 by Ninja9

The Swansea owners .
Do try and keep up .
He was going to the states to meet the Swansea owners to discuss a new contract .
He cancelled the trip because he is obviously talking to Saints
[Post edited 20 May 2023 15:47]

So all signed and sealed then I take it, or have I missed that as well

Now when's the first game we play sideways possession football?
What to expect from Russell Martin on 16:17 - May 20 with 5173 viewsIfonly

What to expect from Russell Martin on 13:48 - May 20 by MytchettSaint

And if you don’t have the players that are technically gifted enough to make that style work, other teams press and press you when you are playing around with it at the back in the knowledge that an error is a near certainty, or you end up punting the ball upfield and giving away possession then.

I don’t particularly want to see route one football, but I am also fed up watch slow laborious, sideways/backways build up play that allows teams to reset and defend our toothless attacking play.

The spreadsheet gimps can do one if they think I’m in for another season of watching that dirge.

It's not just a choice between route 1 and possession. For example, we could become a counter attacking team. Instead of pressing high we go with a low block and then counter attack in to the space. I think this would suit us well, both defensively and in scoring goals. If we keep the likes of Sulemana and Tella we would be a real threat with that pace.

My personal view is that we would have survived in the Prem if we had played that way. We wouldn't have given away so many easy goals and we'd have had space to break in to ourselves. The few times we managed to do that we scored some good goals.
Login to get fewer ads

What to expect from Russell Martin on 19:51 - May 20 with 4985 viewsUlsterBaz

Completely underwhelmed by this if it comes to fruition but we are where we are I suppose.
What to expect from Russell Martin on 20:04 - May 20 with 4949 viewssaintwizzler

What to expect from Russell Martin on 19:51 - May 20 by UlsterBaz

Completely underwhelmed by this if it comes to fruition but we are where we are I suppose.

Too true.
Another gamble that could go either way.
As with Hasenhüttl, Jones and Selles I will give whoever the manager is 100% support whilst the game is on.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

What to expect from Russell Martin on 20:07 - May 20 with 4954 viewsgrumpy

Please let this season end.
What to expect from Russell Martin on 20:09 - May 20 with 4942 viewsPatfromPoole

We will be playing this game again in November when Martin has been removed from his post.

We will be having more managers than Watford at this rate.2

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

What to expect from Russell Martin on 20:29 - May 20 with 4927 viewsSouthamptonfan

Reason for optimism?

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

What to expect from Russell Martin on 22:46 - May 20 with 4820 views1teeminants

FFS Swansea were 3 points off the play offs with very little money to spend. Who do you think we should go for ? Are you suggesting a premiership Manager or equivalent would like to manage in the championship ?

He maybe rubbish he maybe good. We are where we are .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

What to expect from Russell Martin on 00:31 - May 21 with 4736 viewsChesham_Saint

What to expect from Russell Martin on 22:46 - May 20 by 1teeminants

FFS Swansea were 3 points off the play offs with very little money to spend. Who do you think we should go for ? Are you suggesting a premiership Manager or equivalent would like to manage in the championship ?

We are where we are? Yes, but still should be able to attract a half decent manager. We got Pardew when we were in deeper shit than this. And he was a ‘name’.

We should be more than capable of enticing say, Potter, not this joker. We’re not the skates FFS.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

What to expect from Russell Martin on 06:51 - May 21 with 4668 views1teeminants

What to expect from Russell Martin on 00:31 - May 21 by Chesham_Saint

We are where we are? Yes, but still should be able to attract a half decent manager. We got Pardew when we were in deeper shit than this. And he was a ‘name’.

We should be more than capable of enticing say, Potter, not this joker. We’re not the skates FFS.

Who had heard of Adkins ?

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

What to expect from Russell Martin on 08:08 - May 21 with 4595 viewsPatfromPoole

What to expect from Russell Martin on 22:46 - May 20 by 1teeminants

We should be an attractive proposition for any manager at the moment except an in-work Prem manager.

There are plenty of managers available who have been promoted from the Championship.

I would seriously prefer Warnock; he knows what it takes to get a team promoted in this League; Russell Martin hasn’t come anywhere near.

What to expect from Russell Martin on 08:41 - May 21 with 4573 viewsCity_boy

What to expect from Russell Martin on 06:51 - May 21 by 1teeminants

Adkins at least had a promotion achievement on his CV, guiding Scunthorpe from Div 1 to Championship. Martin doesn't even have this.

When we took on Adkins we were a totally different proposition, being in Div 1, and just come through a financial/administration mess.

it would have be considerably harder to recruit a good manager at that time compared to just being relegated to the Championship, in receipt of parachute payments and inheriting a relatively large squad for that division. Some will obviously leave, which will also bring in funds to rebuild.

I believe we could do a lot better. I agree it's good to get these things sorted early, but this does smack of a panic decision.

Finally, if the club are so obsessed by Martins playing possession stats, a quick reminder would be to look at Arsenal yesterday against Forest where Arsenal had 82% possession and 3 shots on target ! Having all the possession and conceding 60+ goals a season will not work.
[Post edited 21 May 2023 8:42]
What to expect from Russell Martin on 09:08 - May 21 with 4527 viewssaintwizzler

What to expect from Russell Martin on 08:41 - May 21 by City_boy

Adkins at least had a promotion achievement on his CV, guiding Scunthorpe from Div 1 to Championship. Martin doesn't even have this.

When we took on Adkins we were a totally different proposition, being in Div 1, and just come through a financial/administration mess.

it would have be considerably harder to recruit a good manager at that time compared to just being relegated to the Championship, in receipt of parachute payments and inheriting a relatively large squad for that division. Some will obviously leave, which will also bring in funds to rebuild.

I believe we could do a lot better. I agree it's good to get these things sorted early, but this does smack of a panic decision.

Finally, if the club are so obsessed by Martins playing possession stats, a quick reminder would be to look at Arsenal yesterday against Forest where Arsenal had 82% possession and 3 shots on target ! Having all the possession and conceding 60+ goals a season will not work.
[Post edited 21 May 2023 8:42]

We could easily concede 70+ goals this season.
Is this another club record?

This is down to bad managerial appointments as we have a good squad.
Remember Fulham are no better than us.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

What to expect from Russell Martin on 09:12 - May 21 with 4522 viewsPatfromPoole

If anything sums up the idiocy of the appointment, it is on this link.

A British record for the number of passes leading to a goal; 56 passes by MK Dons leading to a goal against Gillingham.

The most important statistic here is that Gillingham won the game 3-2.

What to expect from Russell Martin on 09:20 - May 21 with 4528 viewsMytchettSaint

What to expect from Russell Martin on 09:12 - May 21 by PatfromPoole

If anything sums up the idiocy of the appointment, it is on this link.

A British record for the number of passes leading to a goal; 56 passes by MK Dons leading to a goal against Gillingham.

The most important statistic here is that Gillingham won the game 3-2.

Great!
At least we can look forward to more post match interviews where “we have dominated that game, just lacking a little bit more composure and quality in the final third, and today’s mistakes at the back really hurt us..”

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

What to expect from Russell Martin on 17:25 - May 21 with 4263 viewsChesham_Saint

What to expect from Russell Martin on 06:51 - May 21 by 1teeminants

We were far deeper in the shit then.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

What to expect from Russell Martin on 18:32 - May 21 with 4186 viewsBerber

Wenger like passing, but dropped players if the number of forward passes dropped below his desired level. It is the continual sideways and backward passing by sides not good enough that bores the fans to death, and ultimately results in defeat after defeat for the reasons already stated above.

Using recent posts regarding the Championship playoffs. Sunderland got to the semis by playing the Welsh Wanter way, press, press and more energy. But when it came down to out, they couldn’t even string 3 passes together with any consistency.

Wenger had the right philosophy on it IMHO.
What to expect from Russell Martin on 23:44 - May 21 with 4025 viewsdirk_doone

Based on his career so far, we can expect mid-table mediocrity, a lot of sloppy goals conceded to misplaced passses at the back and heavy defeats to the top teams in the division.

Why on earth are we choosing such a mediocre manager? We asked the same question when Nathan Jones was appointed. If you aspire to excellence, you don't embrace mediocrity.
[Post edited 21 May 2023 23:48]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

What to expect from Russell Martin on 06:32 - May 22 with 3939 viewsDorsetIan

What to expect from Russell Martin on 23:44 - May 21 by dirk_doone

Based on his career so far, we can expect mid-table mediocrity, a lot of sloppy goals conceded to misplaced passses at the back and heavy defeats to the top teams in the division.

Why on earth are we choosing such a mediocre manager? We asked the same question when Nathan Jones was appointed. If you aspire to excellence, you don't embrace mediocrity.
[Post edited 21 May 2023 23:48]

By doing the same thing and it hopefully working out this time, Ankersen wants to prove he was right about Jones.

Imagine how badly his vanity has been dented. He needs to try to remedy that.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024