Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brilliant England 12:58 - Aug 16 with 2534 viewsgrumpy

England’s lionesses 😀😀😀
Brilliant England on 13:14 - Aug 16 with 2138 viewssaint901

Such a refreshing contrast to the whinging and whining of the mens' team.

Brilliant performance and Hemp by far the best player on the pitch.
Brilliant England on 15:51 - Aug 16 with 2014 viewssolent_toffee

Brilliant England on 13:14 - Aug 16 by saint901

Such a refreshing contrast to the whinging and whining of the mens' team.

Brilliant performance and Hemp by far the best player on the pitch.

I’ve really enjoyed watching them over the past few years. Genuine team work, very competitive and in it to win it and not for personal fame or glamour. A cracking example to youngsters, lads or girls.

The complete opposite of the Me, Me, Me attitude of the men’s game.
Brilliant England on 18:16 - Aug 16 with 1929 views1teeminants

Brilliant England on 15:51 - Aug 16 by solent_toffee

I’ve really enjoyed watching them over the past few years. Genuine team work, very competitive and in it to win it and not for personal fame or glamour. A cracking example to youngsters, lads or girls.

The complete opposite of the Me, Me, Me attitude of the men’s game.

Yes agree Toffee, really enjoyed it and some of the finishing today together with the quality of the penalties that we despatched in the last round was top notch . They are producing a lot more quality than many( especially insecure blokes) give them credit for.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Brilliant England on 21:58 - Aug 16 with 1841 viewsSaintNick

Brilliant England on 18:16 - Aug 16 by 1teeminants

Yes agree Toffee, really enjoyed it and some of the finishing today together with the quality of the penalties that we despatched in the last round was top notch . They are producing a lot more quality than many( especially insecure blokes) give them credit for.

I just cant get into it, I just feel this and the Womans game is being forced on us and we are being ordered to say its on a same level as the mens game.

It can be entertaining, but then again so can a Sunday League game on the park, a lot of people I know including women think it is being artificially hyped up.

England have one person of colour in the side, imagine the uproar if that was the case in the mens team.

Im sorry but it has all been forced down my throat and i it has made me rile against it because of that

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Brilliant England on 22:17 - Aug 16 with 1827 viewskingolaf

Brilliant England on 21:58 - Aug 16 by SaintNick

I just cant get into it, I just feel this and the Womans game is being forced on us and we are being ordered to say its on a same level as the mens game.

It can be entertaining, but then again so can a Sunday League game on the park, a lot of people I know including women think it is being artificially hyped up.

England have one person of colour in the side, imagine the uproar if that was the case in the mens team.

Im sorry but it has all been forced down my throat and i it has made me rile against it because of that

I tend to agree. Part of me thinks it’s part of our woke culture.

Another part of me is pleased that it will encourage more girls into sport.
Brilliant England on 23:28 - Aug 16 with 1788 viewsBazza

Don’t feel it’s been forced down anybody’s throat. It’s an England team and natural to follow their success. No one expects it to be the same level as men. But thank goodness there’s little diving, posturing and arrogance you see in the men’s game.
Certainly the Saints strikers could learn something from the England attempts and our defence could note the energy and resilience of the defenders.
As far as the cheap shot about colour, all players should be picked according to talent Are you suggesting otherwise?
Brilliant England on 23:42 - Aug 16 with 1780 viewsSouthamptonfan

Nick, I agree with you here and feel the same. I will probably watch the final (if it's a reasonable time) and wish the lionesses well, but it just isn't the same. It's like watching the reserves or a neutral team. It's friendly, well behaved, and decent because there is nowhere near the same passion or pressures and they are women I suppose and much better behaved than the men 😲. Same with the Saints, the men's team is what is the most important to 99% of us, and none of us care if the women are playing in the top league or the third division as long as the men's team are doing well. Although again, I wish them well but like you I can't get into it. The women's game catching up with the men's game and growing to be as popular is a complete lie. It won't, well not any time soon.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2023 23:49]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Brilliant England on 07:28 - Aug 17 with 1706 views1teeminants

I don’t think it’s being forced on anybody, you can choose to watch it or you don’t. I don’t know any man that would say it’s on the same level either.

I personally like supporting my country men or women in any sport . Why would you like to see english women do well in say cricket, rugby , tennis , athletics, netball etc but take no interest when they play football ? All very strange. People think it’s strange just because it’s fairly new and rising fast although there have been women’s teams around at some level for a while now.

As for the skill level of course it’s not the same but study all four goals from yesterday’s match then tell me there was not a high level of skill and determination there, also the penalties in the last round. Many people won’t of course because they don’t like seeing women play football and they refuse to watch it . It goes against the grain but in 2 or 3 years most wont find it a problem as it will be part of the norm.

Login to get fewer ads

Brilliant England on 08:56 - Aug 17 with 1648 viewsChesham_Saint

Brilliant England on 07:28 - Aug 17 by 1teeminants

I don’t think it’s being forced on anybody, you can choose to watch it or you don’t. I don’t know any man that would say it’s on the same level either.

I personally like supporting my country men or women in any sport . Why would you like to see english women do well in say cricket, rugby , tennis , athletics, netball etc but take no interest when they play football ? All very strange. People think it’s strange just because it’s fairly new and rising fast although there have been women’s teams around at some level for a while now.

As for the skill level of course it’s not the same but study all four goals from yesterday’s match then tell me there was not a high level of skill and determination there, also the penalties in the last round. Many people won’t of course because they don’t like seeing women play football and they refuse to watch it . It goes against the grain but in 2 or 3 years most wont find it a problem as it will be part of the norm.

It is being forced on us in certain quarters. Take the BBC sports pages. I go there for transfer updates and see something like “Arsenal sign huge star” only to find out that it’s WSL. It’s not the same thing - it’s the assumption of equivalent interest that’s wrong.

Why can’t they differentiate more clearly? Yes, it’s great for women and great for the minority who are interested. But to try and argue that say, West Ham women v Chelsea ladies is anywhere near the same as the men’s equivalent fixture is completely false.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Brilliant England on 09:05 - Aug 17 with 1636 viewsPatfromPoole

Possible Bank Holiday if England win….

That might focus minds….

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Brilliant England on 09:31 - Aug 17 with 1622 viewsBazza

Brilliant England on 08:56 - Aug 17 by Chesham_Saint

It is being forced on us in certain quarters. Take the BBC sports pages. I go there for transfer updates and see something like “Arsenal sign huge star” only to find out that it’s WSL. It’s not the same thing - it’s the assumption of equivalent interest that’s wrong.

Why can’t they differentiate more clearly? Yes, it’s great for women and great for the minority who are interested. But to try and argue that say, West Ham women v Chelsea ladies is anywhere near the same as the men’s equivalent fixture is completely false.

Your final sentence, who has ever argued that women’s football is equivalent to men’s in speed and strength levels? Certainly in terms of endeavour, commitment and energy though it is arguably as good. The diving and whinging is certainly more common in mens at all levels.
Brilliant England on 12:39 - Aug 17 with 1555 viewssaint901

No end of falsehoods and pettiness displayed above.

I think nobody is suggesting that the game played by women is the same as that played by men. Women are not small men and therefore they play the game differently.

Different does not mean better or worse, it just means different.

As to being "forced" to watch women's football on TV etc, here's a tip.

Your remote control has an "off" button or access to several hundred other channels.

Sad to see a thread that began by celebrating something the men have failed to do since 1966, drift into that achievement being belittled just because it was done by women.

And that's not "woke", it's just being a sports fan who is also a human being.
Brilliant England on 13:34 - Aug 17 with 1516 viewsSonicBoom

Im not a fan and as people said above, I just don't watch it. I've tried but it's just not for me. but then I watch a lot of the PL teams these days and that's not much better. It's not the game (or culture) I fell in love with. The Championship is much better but unfortunately the price of success will be to get promoted.

I only have two issues. Firstly the constant calling them "Lionesses" is just ridiculous to me. As is calling the 11 in the mens team "3 lions". Cringey nonsense.
Secondly comparing their achievements to the men. Saying they are doing something the men haven't done is nonsense. They have done but the level of competitiveness within the womens game is many many years behind the men. They are doing great but the media coverage is daft.
Brilliant England on 14:43 - Aug 17 with 1476 viewsSouthamptonfan

Brilliant England on 12:39 - Aug 17 by saint901

No end of falsehoods and pettiness displayed above.

I think nobody is suggesting that the game played by women is the same as that played by men. Women are not small men and therefore they play the game differently.

Different does not mean better or worse, it just means different.

As to being "forced" to watch women's football on TV etc, here's a tip.

Your remote control has an "off" button or access to several hundred other channels.

Sad to see a thread that began by celebrating something the men have failed to do since 1966, drift into that achievement being belittled just because it was done by women.

And that's not "woke", it's just being a sports fan who is also a human being.

Absolutely, there is an off button, but I think you are missing the point. At the fans' forum the other night, we were forced to listen about the women's team for a total of about 25 minutes. If you switch the off button, we would miss the questions about the men. How about having a separate men's forum and women's forum? Or would only about 5 turn up to the women's one? It's the pretending that they are equally popular, and therefore having both at the same time. So in some situations, it is forced. You were forced to listen to the panel go on about the women's team, otherwise you would miss the men's questions, so that was forced.

If you like the women's team, go to that forum. If you.likebthe men's go to that. If you like both, go to both. But people are forced to listen to both when they aren't interested in both. It's not the fact that women are playing football and competing, good luck to them. It's forcing people to listen about them, when they aren't interested. Same with sky Sports and everything else. Why not have separate channels?
[Post edited 17 Aug 2023 15:04]

Brilliant England on 14:55 - Aug 17 with 1457 viewsGRIM

It's taken me a while to come to terms with watching Women's football.
But I can honestly say I've watched the last couple of our games in the World Cup & thoroughly enjoyed them.
Technically the skill levels have improved dramatically & there is a lot less theatrics in the Women's matches compared to the grossly overpaid / overrated mens matches.
Alright we all understand that you cannot compare Women's football to the men's game but let's give credit where its due.
This Women's team show a real desire to win & play the game without fear.
What is noticeable is that there are very few offsides in Women's football (none in the semi against the Aussies).
That is because their defenders play a very deep back line, this ultimately creates more space in midfield & up front which gives each player more space & time on the ball.
That is the big difference between Women's & mens football.
Brilliant England on 16:07 - Aug 17 with 1408 viewssaint901

Brilliant England on 14:43 - Aug 17 by Southamptonfan

Absolutely, there is an off button, but I think you are missing the point. At the fans' forum the other night, we were forced to listen about the women's team for a total of about 25 minutes. If you switch the off button, we would miss the questions about the men. How about having a separate men's forum and women's forum? Or would only about 5 turn up to the women's one? It's the pretending that they are equally popular, and therefore having both at the same time. So in some situations, it is forced. You were forced to listen to the panel go on about the women's team, otherwise you would miss the men's questions, so that was forced.

If you like the women's team, go to that forum. If you.likebthe men's go to that. If you like both, go to both. But people are forced to listen to both when they aren't interested in both. It's not the fact that women are playing football and competing, good luck to them. It's forcing people to listen about them, when they aren't interested. Same with sky Sports and everything else. Why not have separate channels?

And what has any of that got to do with England getting to a World Cup final?

If you have a point about a fan forum including news and discussion on the women's team and that - in your opinion - this is unwelcome or in some manner detracts from the value of that meeting, you can of course make it but why on this thread?
Brilliant England on 16:13 - Aug 17 with 1404 viewsSouthamptonfan

Brilliant England on 16:07 - Aug 17 by saint901

And what has any of that got to do with England getting to a World Cup final?

If you have a point about a fan forum including news and discussion on the women's team and that - in your opinion - this is unwelcome or in some manner detracts from the value of that meeting, you can of course make it but why on this thread?

Because this thread became a debate about interest in women's football, starting with Nick the site owner, who said about it being forced on us and "forced down his throat". So I have added to that debate, agreeing with him, on the same thread that the site owner started it on. The point relates to it being forced down our throats, with the recent fans' forum being a great example of his point.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2023 16:17]

Brilliant England on 17:48 - Aug 17 with 1334 viewskingslandstand1

Brilliant England on 09:31 - Aug 17 by Bazza

Your final sentence, who has ever argued that women’s football is equivalent to men’s in speed and strength levels? Certainly in terms of endeavour, commitment and energy though it is arguably as good. The diving and whinging is certainly more common in mens at all levels.

Well aren't they looking for similar pay packets and tv deals etc. I see we already have the first millionaire WSL player
Brilliant England on 17:56 - Aug 17 with 1328 views1teeminants

I think this sums it up nicely for me . This is from a die hard saints fan who runs a saints supporters club in Australia.A top bloke who I’ve met and others on here May know .

“Disappointing for the Matildas not to make the big dance, but the legacy they leave will remain long after their playing careers have finished.

The whole tournament has been incredible and it’s great to see, if only briefly, what a unified Australia can look like. And for those who said nobody is interested in watching women’s sport, there’s now 11.15 million reasons why your views belong in the past.”

Thank you Tillies :)

Brilliant England on 17:57 - Aug 17 with 1322 viewskingslandstand1

Brilliant England on 09:05 - Aug 17 by PatfromPoole

Possible Bank Holiday if England win….

That might focus minds….

Errr, but when??? Please no, we don't want another one
Brilliant England on 17:58 - Aug 17 with 1314 viewsSFC_Referee

Brilliant England on 23:28 - Aug 16 by Bazza

Don’t feel it’s been forced down anybody’s throat. It’s an England team and natural to follow their success. No one expects it to be the same level as men. But thank goodness there’s little diving, posturing and arrogance you see in the men’s game.
Certainly the Saints strikers could learn something from the England attempts and our defence could note the energy and resilience of the defenders.
As far as the cheap shot about colour, all players should be picked according to talent Are you suggesting otherwise?

Definitely agree with you around how the games a lot less dirty and more professional, as many of us refs joke about getting womens games for how much easier and relaxing they are to officiate, as genuinely you can do national league womens games and yet they’re still miles easier to officiate than the blooming Hampshire prem! As it does set a much better examples for anyone watching, although unfortunately I do see it as only a matter of time until that all changes…

But irrelevant of all that, it is getting forced down the throats of many, and as much as nobody necessarily expects it to be to the same level of the mens, for how there’s been loads of changing and complains around unequal pay and prize money etc… between the womens CL, SL, WC to the mens, which has lead to many getting just as much as the mens. Which just isn’t right for how much they make in revenue compared to the mens games.
As some womens teams are having players paid juts as much, if not more, than Eastleigh’s mens team, yet for how much those two teams generate wholly based upon those two squads, Eastleigh probably make more than some of those womens teams do. Yet many can’t seem to understand that wages, prize money, expenses etc… should all correlate to the revenue brought in, and that’s why there’s a major difference as to why soo many womens players and tournaments are now getting to a point where sponsors, TV deals and footballing organisations aren’t necessarily going along with it, as it’s making them loose money (like what happened with the TV deals for this World Cup a month or so before it started).

And for the forcing it down the throat, well you see loads on the media around all this, and it’s very much getting front page news even in the group stage, yet I’m sure that if you looked at the English tv viewings of most of the games, I’d probably say that all the live prem games so far have had more than most of the womens WC games, yet those games weren’t all necessary front page news like all the womens ones have been. And the same goes for the amount of advertising and such around it. As I think as time goes on it’ll be less like this, but for certainly for the past and very much for the present, womens football is very much being given a lot more attention than it’s “earned”.

As I’m all for equal pays, respect, games etc… but I think the womens games gotten a bit too far ahead of itself and the gap it’s created between the quality of the games, compared to the much smaller money involved in the games is what’s made a fair few a bit annoyed by it all.

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

Brilliant England on 18:10 - Aug 17 with 1306 viewsSFC_Referee

Brilliant England on 07:28 - Aug 17 by 1teeminants

But it kinda is, as the likes of the BBC, ITV Talksport etc., are talking about it almost as much as they do when the mens is on, yet for how popular the two are and in the differences in quality and audience sizes etc… it’s just not correlated whatsoever. As let’s say the finals on at a stupid time of 4am in the morning. You’d get a few going to watch it at pubs and home, but most pubs wouldn’t be open and a majority of people would just watch the highlights in the morning. Yet if it’s the mens, it’s completely the opposite, yet the amount of attention the tournament’s have gotten isn’t anywhere near as big of a gap.

And nobody on here’s saying that they don’t want the womens team to do well, as if I’m not doing anything, then yeah I’ll probably watch it and irrelevant of whether I do or don’t, will want the lionesses to win. But the difference is that if I’m refereeing a game when it’s on, I won’t pull out of that for this final, just the same as most other players and refs, yet if it were the men that were playing, it would’ve been called off/postponed before they even announced of which refs doing what.

And you talk about the quality of the game, and as much as I do agree it’s definitely getting better, there’s still some major gaps between the mens and womens teams. Like it wasn’t announced publicly, but last season the saints U16’s beat the womens team in a behind closed doors friendly, 14-0… says it all really. And the goalies, again are getting better, but they’re still quite poor, and if McCarthy or Bazunu were female, they’d be the Neuer and Courtois of the game. Yet many female goalies are getting paid more than male ones down at Sholing, totten, Eastleigh etc… who are miles better than them. But are getting paid more just because of their gender (so in a way is kinda sexist against men).
As it’s just how it’s all been very rushed and forced which is why many aren’t exactly treating it the same way as the mens game, but with time it’ll get better and be a lot less “rushed” leading to many more getting a lot more into it, male or female alike.

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

Brilliant England on 21:44 - Aug 17 with 1245 viewsChesham_Saint

+1

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Brilliant England on 22:29 - Aug 17 with 1211 viewsGRIM

Brilliant England on 21:44 - Aug 17 by Chesham_Saint

+1

It's not just Women's football it's Sky & the media that are very guilty of overloading us with analysis both pre match & post match
Am I the only one that is sick of seeing & hearing those ex (very average) footballers Gary Neville & Jamie Carragher telling us how the game should be played.
Can someone tell them that football is not played on a computer.
I do know where the "off button" is & I hit it as soon those two come on.
Brilliant England on 22:34 - Aug 17 with 1198 viewsHeisenberg

Brilliant England on 22:29 - Aug 17 by GRIM

It's not just Women's football it's Sky & the media that are very guilty of overloading us with analysis both pre match & post match
Am I the only one that is sick of seeing & hearing those ex (very average) footballers Gary Neville & Jamie Carragher telling us how the game should be played.
Can someone tell them that football is not played on a computer.
I do know where the "off button" is & I hit it as soon those two come on.

Turn the match on at kick off. Don’t watch the half time nonsense then turn it off as soon as the game ends. And don’t listen to talk sport or football phone ins. Job done. I occasionally listen to Radio 5s Monday night discussion but they have now got Clinton innit Morrison on it so that one’s gone as well. It’s all bollox.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024