Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts 12:25 - Feb 3 with 4264 viewsUTS1885

Its something thats been mentioned in the past and now there is talk about doing it. I think its quite unique that we dont have named stands. Simply because history continues and where will legends in the future go ?

Names being considered, Liebherr , Le Tissier, Wallace, McMenemy, Paine, Lambert
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 13:45 - Feb 3 with 2639 viewsBridders2

It's got to be Le Tissier, Leibherr's name is already on the training ground.
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 14:42 - Feb 3 with 2589 viewskingslandstand1

Generally against this but of those you mention, Terry Paine or big Laurie. Le Tiss for what he gave us on the pitch and his loyalty to the club but (controvertial maybe), his weird and controvertial views of the last few years have made him a laughing stock in certain quarters including on here, could go against that?

Just a thinking out loud view
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 15:58 - Feb 3 with 2542 viewscocklebreath

Not for me but if we go only le tiss

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 17:13 - Feb 3 with 2475 viewsgrumpy

Le Tissier, those goals were unforgettable and kept us in the top flight, and he stayed loyal when he could easily moved to a big club.
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 17:21 - Feb 3 with 2459 viewsobelisk

Nah! Keep them as they are.
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 17:27 - Feb 3 with 2442 viewsgrumpy

Yep! I can understand people wanting them to stay the same.
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 17:31 - Feb 3 with 2429 viewscocklebreath

And don’t even think about changing the badge

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 17:48 - Feb 3 with 2409 viewsInTimeAddedOn

Hhmm, I can see why people would want it kept the same as it is now, the compromise would surely be to name the execuitive suites after the names mentioned, this is how it was when SMS first opened beofre the suites got the poncey re-branding / refurbishment accompanied by the inevitable price hikes in most areas. Another compromise would be to add a name to the existing stand name, so for example the Matthew le Tissier Kingsland Stand or the Terry Paine Northam Stand ect, ect.
Login to get fewer ads

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 17:54 - Feb 3 with 2400 viewsInTimeAddedOn

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 17:31 - Feb 3 by cocklebreath

Agree 100%. I think if that was going to happen then Nicola Cortese would have done it when he went on the rampage through SMS and threw most of our history in the bin. Cloughie and the Leeds United medals incident was nothing compared to Cortese by all accounts.
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 18:45 - Feb 3 with 2366 viewskernow

Stick with the geography .
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 18:52 - Feb 3 with 2361 viewsdirk_doone

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 17:31 - Feb 3 by cocklebreath

Too late. We already did that in the 1970s.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 21:18 - Feb 3 with 2276 viewsManhattan_Lynx

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 18:45 - Feb 3 by kernow

Stick with the geography .

Pat from Poole stand?
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 21:39 - Feb 3 with 2262 viewsUTS1885

Mind you i ask the question, but not sure fans will have any say in the matter.
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 07:22 - Feb 5 with 2008 viewsTripleNiemi

If Rupert and the sponsors at the time had of gotten their way we would still be calling the ground the ‘Friends Provident’ stadium. Whilst they may then have then included ‘St. Mary’s’ as an afterthought, it was the best thing to ditch a sponsor from the title right. It would now be called some other dodgy gambling site name no doubt.

Remember the twerp Rodney Marsh saying what sort of name was St. Mary’s??

Keep the stands as is for me personally but not anti either way.
[Post edited 5 Feb 7:24]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 09:56 - Feb 5 with 1942 viewsSaintNick

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 07:22 - Feb 5 by TripleNiemi

If Rupert and the sponsors at the time had of gotten their way we would still be calling the ground the ‘Friends Provident’ stadium. Whilst they may then have then included ‘St. Mary’s’ as an afterthought, it was the best thing to ditch a sponsor from the title right. It would now be called some other dodgy gambling site name no doubt.

In truth Rupert was never going to call it just the Friends Provident, when it was first announced it was just that, but on the day it came out I had a call from the CEO of Friends Provident who had been given my number by Lowe, he said hold fire and wait a few days and you will get a surprise.

It was a PR stunt to put FP in a good light, and that was the case, everyone thought what great people Friends Provident are (And Rupert) they are listening to the fans.

Stadium naming rights are costly these days and football clubs have to generate money so they don't get caught in financial fair play etc, yes I do like the fact we have just the ground name, but then again I would prefer a bit more money in the transfer kitty and if we have to trade off a bit of the name of the stadium to get that then thats the modern game and we have to accept it.

But I do think that if we do the stadium name has to be retained as it was with the Friends Provident St Mary's Stadium.

Likewise rename the stands but keep the name they have, so have the Le Tissier Northam End or the Lawrie McMenemy Itchen Stand etc

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 11:29 - Feb 5 with 1904 viewssaints__fan__73

MLT was a great player, but looking at what he is now I think the club would steer well clear of naming a stand after him.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 11:34 - Feb 5 with 1898 viewsSaintNick

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 11:29 - Feb 5 by saints__fan__73

MLT was a great player, but looking at what he is now I think the club would steer well clear of naming a stand after him.

you are possibly right there which is sad, personally I believe in free speech and that right is being eroded these days, I might not agree with what he is saying but I believe in his right to say it (Obvious taboos like racism etc aside)

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 11:40 - Feb 5 with 1895 viewsfranniesTache

Absolutely no need to rename the stands, they represent the names of the area of the city the stands face onto.

Also it's worth noting markus liebherr said he didn't want stands named after him so i'm not sure why people are pushing for that.

We already have a statue of Bates (arguably the most important person in the club's history) and "lounges" named after people like Paine etc.

As much as i love Le Tiss - and even with the stuff he goes on about now he'll always be a hero to me - I don't think naming a stand after him but not say bates; paine; channon etc. makes sense.
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 11:42 - Feb 5 with 1893 viewssaints__fan__73

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 11:34 - Feb 5 by SaintNick

you are possibly right there which is sad, personally I believe in free speech and that right is being eroded these days, I might not agree with what he is saying but I believe in his right to say it (Obvious taboos like racism etc aside)

Losing his job and then lockdown seemed to have a terrible effect on him. He doesn't appear a mentally well man and it's easy in today's world for people like that to get easily led by social media, etc. If you want a good laugh just type in vapour trails in Twitter and see the large number of people of genuinely believe that the lines planes have been making in the sky since they were invented is in fact the government spraying stuff at us!

The issue is for the club if they can't name a stand after MLT then they can't really name it after any former player given his importance as a player.

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 13:34 - Feb 5 with 1805 viewshedgeend61

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 11:40 - Feb 5 by franniesTache

Absolutely no need to rename the stands, they represent the names of the area of the city the stands face onto.

Also it's worth noting markus liebherr said he didn't want stands named after him so i'm not sure why people are pushing for that.

We already have a statue of Bates (arguably the most important person in the club's history) and "lounges" named after people like Paine etc.

As much as i love Le Tiss - and even with the stuff he goes on about now he'll always be a hero to me - I don't think naming a stand after him but not say bates; paine; channon etc. makes sense.

From the Rotherham programme they have the,

KMC RECYCLING NORTH
ERIC TWIGG PUKKA PIES WEST STAND and the
BEN BENNETT FAMILY STAND
so basically the North, West and Family stands, no one will use the those daft full names.

As for whatever they put in front of St Marys, fans won't use the sponsors name, like Hampshire CCC will always be the Rose Bowl, no one will call it the Ulitila Bowl, it's hard enough to even say Utilita
Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 14:04 - Feb 5 with 1772 viewssaints__fan__73

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 13:34 - Feb 5 by hedgeend61

From the Rotherham programme they have the,

KMC RECYCLING NORTH
ERIC TWIGG PUKKA PIES WEST STAND and the
BEN BENNETT FAMILY STAND
so basically the North, West and Family stands, no one will use the those daft full names.

As for whatever they put in front of St Marys, fans won't use the sponsors name, like Hampshire CCC will always be the Rose Bowl, no one will call it the Ulitila Bowl, it's hard enough to even say Utilita

Eric Twigg and Ben Bennett do I would think.

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 15:36 - Feb 5 with 1711 viewsLondonSaint76

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 07:22 - Feb 5 by TripleNiemi

Rodney Marsh - brother of Hackney 🙂

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 16:11 - Feb 5 with 1692 viewsTimSaint

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 18:52 - Feb 3 by dirk_doone

Too late. We already did that in the 1970s.

....and then changed the ball design on the badge around '97 ish.

TimSaint

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 17:26 - Feb 5 with 1651 viewsTripleNiemi

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 16:11 - Feb 5 by TimSaint

....and then changed the ball design on the badge around '97 ish.

I actually prefer the Saints crest / badge with the white ball…..also I much prefer the badge when it is one colour (like the away or third kit, or the gold version a few years back)
[Post edited 5 Feb 17:31]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 22:52 - Feb 5 with 1528 viewshedgeend61

Renaming Stands At St Marys - Your thoughts on 14:04 - Feb 5 by saints__fan__73

Eric Twigg and Ben Bennett do I would think.

Did, sadly they both passed away recently, fair play to them they probably put a bundle of money into the club, but naming stands after them?, who nobody outside Rotherham would have ever heard of them. I assumed they were ex players/ managers, not sponsors.

https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2022/january/obituary--eric-twigg/
https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2021/october/obituary--ben-bennett-jr---1941-2

I get the Bobby Moore/Brian Clough stand, forever legends, but sponsors change all the time, imagine if we called ours the, Kenny Kingfisher Krap Lager Kingsland Stand.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024