Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The fine margins between success and failure 20:19 - Apr 1 with 1493 viewsfelly1

To many games this season have ended up as defeats or draws because of fine margins imo.
We have a goalkeeper who is too young, too small and not a great shot stopper.

We have players that create great chances with lovely flowing football.. But then miss or get saved.

Ipswich had a goalkeeper at crucial moments who saved their bacon.

Ipswich at crucial moments found a way to get the ball in the net.

Is this the managers fault?
Or recruitment?

The fine margins between success and failure on 20:22 - Apr 1 with 1458 viewskingslandstand1

Well recruitment is fkd now anyway if Wilcox is off
The fine margins between success and failure on 20:24 - Apr 1 with 1436 viewsgrumpy

I’d say it’s the Manager. Smallbone sub was unbelievable.
The fine margins between success and failure on 20:30 - Apr 1 with 1386 viewssaint22

I am not sure it’s fine margins it’s more basics I would say
And poor decisions from our manager
The fine margins between success and failure on 20:36 - Apr 1 with 1353 viewsmushinexile

Fine margins be fxcked. It has been obvious for months that our wins have been scraped while the better clubs have beaten their opponents by bigger mm margins. We have not been good enough and will not go up.
The fine margins between success and failure on 20:40 - Apr 1 with 1334 viewsTripleNiemi

The fine margins between success and failure on 20:22 - Apr 1 by kingslandstand1

Well recruitment is fkd now anyway if Wilcox is off

Wonder if they’ll come in for our manager……

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

The fine margins between success and failure on 20:42 - Apr 1 with 1314 viewsMrangry25

I think too many people blame our keeper for the losses we have incurred since our record breaking winning streak, however when we had a settled back four without our illustrious Captain Chaos in it our keeper was pretty adept and at times has kept us in the game. Unfortunately I don’t care if you had Peter Schmichael in goal behind our current defensive incumbents even he would struggle.
The fine margins between success and failure on 20:59 - Apr 1 with 1265 viewsDorsetIan

The fine margins between success and failure on 20:42 - Apr 1 by Mrangry25

I think too many people blame our keeper for the losses we have incurred since our record breaking winning streak, however when we had a settled back four without our illustrious Captain Chaos in it our keeper was pretty adept and at times has kept us in the game. Unfortunately I don’t care if you had Peter Schmichael in goal behind our current defensive incumbents even he would struggle.

We’re the 4th best team in the league, nicely clear of the 5th and not quite cutting it with the top 3.

I think our tippy-tappy style is just slightly at odds with the ‘fight’ needed to get out of this league automatically.

But we shouldn’t lose heart. We can play some lovely football and we can beat anyone on the right day.

And winning the play off final would be a day to remember.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

The fine margins between success and failure on 21:05 - Apr 1 with 1251 viewsInTimeAddedOn

Point well made felly1, I would say both are to blame and in addition SR also have to take some responsibility as they are the ones who decided we as a Club were going to adopt this new style / culture and that was the masterplan come what may. As a result, we have (or should I say had) Wilcox and RM singing from the same hymn sheet 'in alignment' with SR.
Wilcox is now on his bike
https://www.90min.com/posts/man-utd-swoop-director-football-offers-southampton-r
Martin is proving when the going gets tough his ever changing team selections, at times unfathomable substitutions, and a pig headed stubbornness to stick with Bazunu and tippy tappy is ultimately costing us points and even games. We were superb for two thirds of the game tonight yet come away with nowt. This is so frustrating because at times we are superb but then at other times get sussed out by opponents because of this single vision in the way we play.
If Wilcox has gone, then perhaps it is time for yet another reset in thinking? Maybe we shouild look at Clubs like Ipswich and ask what is it they do that we don't. Then put it right.
If we get promoted via the play-offs then we need a total reset to have any chance of staying up.
If we are in this division again next season I would change the mind-set, bring in a Manager that can get the best out of the talent we have at the Club. I would bring in the Rotherham keeper, yes, I know that sounds daft, he was superb against us twice and against other teams, he is far better than the team he is with. I would also bust a gut to bring in Szmodics from Blackburn and then get in Nick's much requested leader at the back.
Whilst on the face of it the loss of Wilcox is a huge blow, perhaps, just perhaps, some good might come of it if we get someone in who can see through RM and either enforce a change in style or if not, enforce a change of Manager. At least Wilcox going now allows us to finish off the season, know where we are going to be next season and then recruit accordingly, far better than haggling all summer with ManUre then being left high and dry in the middle of the summer recruitment process.
[Post edited 1 Apr 21:13]
Login to get fewer ads

The fine margins between success and failure on 21:30 - Apr 1 with 1208 viewssaintwizzler

The fine margins between success and failure on 21:05 - Apr 1 by InTimeAddedOn

Point well made felly1, I would say both are to blame and in addition SR also have to take some responsibility as they are the ones who decided we as a Club were going to adopt this new style / culture and that was the masterplan come what may. As a result, we have (or should I say had) Wilcox and RM singing from the same hymn sheet 'in alignment' with SR.
Wilcox is now on his bike
https://www.90min.com/posts/man-utd-swoop-director-football-offers-southampton-r
Martin is proving when the going gets tough his ever changing team selections, at times unfathomable substitutions, and a pig headed stubbornness to stick with Bazunu and tippy tappy is ultimately costing us points and even games. We were superb for two thirds of the game tonight yet come away with nowt. This is so frustrating because at times we are superb but then at other times get sussed out by opponents because of this single vision in the way we play.
If Wilcox has gone, then perhaps it is time for yet another reset in thinking? Maybe we shouild look at Clubs like Ipswich and ask what is it they do that we don't. Then put it right.
If we get promoted via the play-offs then we need a total reset to have any chance of staying up.
If we are in this division again next season I would change the mind-set, bring in a Manager that can get the best out of the talent we have at the Club. I would bring in the Rotherham keeper, yes, I know that sounds daft, he was superb against us twice and against other teams, he is far better than the team he is with. I would also bust a gut to bring in Szmodics from Blackburn and then get in Nick's much requested leader at the back.
Whilst on the face of it the loss of Wilcox is a huge blow, perhaps, just perhaps, some good might come of it if we get someone in who can see through RM and either enforce a change in style or if not, enforce a change of Manager. At least Wilcox going now allows us to finish off the season, know where we are going to be next season and then recruit accordingly, far better than haggling all summer with ManUre then being left high and dry in the middle of the summer recruitment process.
[Post edited 1 Apr 21:13]

Summer recruitment process??!!

With what?
Shirt buttons??!!

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

The fine margins between success and failure on 21:34 - Apr 1 with 1195 views1885_SFC

The fine margins between success and failure on 20:24 - Apr 1 by grumpy

I’d say it’s the Manager. Smallbone sub was unbelievable.

I'm not being mean, honest, I like the lad. But what does Smallbone bring to the party away at Ipswich?

He's one of RM's favourites, that's what. Same goes for Captain Jack, Manning, and Baz.

None of them are quite good enough (or consistent enough) at Championship level. The only thing they all have in common is a very brown nose.

Old School is Cool

The fine margins between success and failure on 21:42 - Apr 1 with 1173 viewsdirk_doone

In Bazunu's case it's more than a fine margin; he's the worst goalkeeper in the league by a country mile, the same as he was last year:

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The fine margins between success and failure on 21:47 - Apr 1 with 1155 viewsgrumpy

The fine margins between success and failure on 21:34 - Apr 1 by 1885_SFC

I'm not being mean, honest, I like the lad. But what does Smallbone bring to the party away at Ipswich?

He's one of RM's favourites, that's what. Same goes for Captain Jack, Manning, and Baz.

None of them are quite good enough (or consistent enough) at Championship level. The only thing they all have in common is a very brown nose.

Its all well going round clapping the fans and hugging the players,the players are there to earn their large salaries.Can you imagine Clough doing that?
The fine margins between success and failure on 22:59 - Apr 1 with 994 viewssaint22

The fine margins between success and failure on 21:42 - Apr 1 by dirk_doone

In Bazunu's case it's more than a fine margin; he's the worst goalkeeper in the league by a country mile, the same as he was last year:

Oh dear that is damning
Wussell likes his stats doesn't he, well maybe he should read that fkn one
The fine margins between success and failure on 23:10 - Apr 1 with 972 viewscocklebreath

He’s awful really awful but seemingly can never be dropped, I thought McCarthy was bad but this chump is a different level.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

The fine margins between success and failure on 23:11 - Apr 1 with 971 viewsInTimeAddedOn

The fine margins between success and failure on 21:30 - Apr 1 by saintwizzler

Summer recruitment process??!!

With what?
Shirt buttons??!!

I see where you are coming from SW but I think shirt buttons are probably what we will have for the 25/26 season if we are still in this Division. I would venture to suggest that there will be a recruitment process this summer, albeit quite probably based around more loan signings as much as paid-for transfers in. We will receive £39.1m in parachute payments next season (compared to £47.8m this season) plus chunks of extra cash on the big ticket sales from last summer (Lavia / JWP / Tella as examples) as nobody pays the full fee in one go. There will also be players returning from loan such as Ocanuchu as it now looks like the Turks won't pay the ransom to keep him. Said players will either be sold or re-loaned bringing in some money. Another season in the Championship if we fail the play offs could mean others wanting away. This will all need managing properly so yes, I think there will be a recruitment process this summer. If we spunk some of the £39m PP up the wall on more bad signings then that's it, after that we will, as you say, be trading in shirt buttons. The third and final season PP is a big drop to £17.4m and then nothing after that. I have already said if we do make it back up we will need to reset but if we are in this Division again next season I think there will be enough for one last decent punt. Szmodics market value is listed at £4m but would probably cost double that, perhaps up to £10m (fee sound familiar?) so I'd like to think we'd have a go for him out of the PP. Would also be tempted to go for Benson again if he will be a free agent.
I do see where you are coming from but if we are still in the Championship next season I'd like to think we'd have enough to have one last punt at getting back up, within reason, of course.
The fine margins between success and failure on 23:25 - Apr 1 with 950 views1885_SFC

One of the reasons RM was hired was because he was used to working with a tiny budget at Swansea. He'll be more at home next season when we've sold the best players & we're left with average joes and the nippers from the academy.

Old School is Cool

The fine margins between success and failure on 00:21 - Apr 2 with 878 viewsPatfromPoole

The keeper isn’t and has never been good enough.

When we have the inevitable penalties in the play-offs, we would be better off with Lumley in goal. He at least has more of a presence about him.

How many real chances did Ipswich have today? I would say 3 for their goals plus the one that hit the post. Pretty much every time the oppo get a clear chance at goal, they score.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

The fine margins between success and failure on 01:47 - Apr 2 with 830 viewssaint22

All joking aside this is astonishing reading and actually means we are doing remarkably well to be 4th
Supposedly football is a science now and managers likeRM dine out on stats? Well if true this should make him drop Baz asap and sign a new one this summer
How can you have a keeper rock bottom of the table and expect to succeed
The fine margins between success and failure on 05:56 - Apr 2 with 767 viewssaintwizzler

The fine margins between success and failure on 23:11 - Apr 1 by InTimeAddedOn

I see where you are coming from SW but I think shirt buttons are probably what we will have for the 25/26 season if we are still in this Division. I would venture to suggest that there will be a recruitment process this summer, albeit quite probably based around more loan signings as much as paid-for transfers in. We will receive £39.1m in parachute payments next season (compared to £47.8m this season) plus chunks of extra cash on the big ticket sales from last summer (Lavia / JWP / Tella as examples) as nobody pays the full fee in one go. There will also be players returning from loan such as Ocanuchu as it now looks like the Turks won't pay the ransom to keep him. Said players will either be sold or re-loaned bringing in some money. Another season in the Championship if we fail the play offs could mean others wanting away. This will all need managing properly so yes, I think there will be a recruitment process this summer. If we spunk some of the £39m PP up the wall on more bad signings then that's it, after that we will, as you say, be trading in shirt buttons. The third and final season PP is a big drop to £17.4m and then nothing after that. I have already said if we do make it back up we will need to reset but if we are in this Division again next season I think there will be enough for one last decent punt. Szmodics market value is listed at £4m but would probably cost double that, perhaps up to £10m (fee sound familiar?) so I'd like to think we'd have a go for him out of the PP. Would also be tempted to go for Benson again if he will be a free agent.
I do see where you are coming from but if we are still in the Championship next season I'd like to think we'd have enough to have one last punt at getting back up, within reason, of course.

We spent £18m on 2 players in the summer, both have been poor signings.
Stewart injured and Shea Charles well what can you say about him?
What makes you think we will spend anywhere near that this summer?
It will be a load of loan signings again.
Yes, the loans have been good apart from Holgate.
Downes, Rothwell, Brooks, Fraser and THB will possibly be snapped up by PL teams after impressing this season if WE don’t go up.

Adams will be gone. No loss.
KWP should be a PL player and will be.
Bednarek will wangle a move somewhere.

This season is the best chance we had of going back up and yes it may still happen via the playoffs but look at this Easter. 5 points dropped from what turned out to be winnable games.
Sums this manager up.

It is time some serious questions were asked about what is going on at Southampton Football Club.

I’m sure we’ll be asked for our Season Ticket money again very soon with the usual bullshit that goes with it.

What is it again…?? WE MARCH ON

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

The fine margins between success and failure on 06:51 - Apr 2 with 753 viewsTripleNiemi

The fine margins between success and failure on 05:56 - Apr 2 by saintwizzler

We spent £18m on 2 players in the summer, both have been poor signings.
Stewart injured and Shea Charles well what can you say about him?
What makes you think we will spend anywhere near that this summer?
It will be a load of loan signings again.
Yes, the loans have been good apart from Holgate.
Downes, Rothwell, Brooks, Fraser and THB will possibly be snapped up by PL teams after impressing this season if WE don’t go up.

Adams will be gone. No loss.
KWP should be a PL player and will be.
Bednarek will wangle a move somewhere.

This season is the best chance we had of going back up and yes it may still happen via the playoffs but look at this Easter. 5 points dropped from what turned out to be winnable games.
Sums this manager up.

It is time some serious questions were asked about what is going on at Southampton Football Club.

I’m sure we’ll be asked for our Season Ticket money again very soon with the usual bullshit that goes with it.

What is it again…?? WE MARCH ON

Ah, those serious questions ala the quality of wi-fi around St. Mary’s and when will the stadium expansion / Northam Kop be implemented……

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

The fine margins between success and failure on 08:53 - Apr 2 with 615 viewsSonicBoom

It' the mentality more than anything.
We are ok when it goes our way but we are so fragile once it doesn't.
That last goal was terrible. It went out to their left and our defender should have sprinted to get near the guy and stop him getting the ball in but he ambled toward him and never got within 10 feet of him. More concerned with holding his hands behind his back.
The ball came in to a player that also wasn't marked. that guy fell over and we still didn't close him down. He had time to get up, and scuff the ball into the net. How?
Where was the urgency??
The fine margins between success and failure on 10:21 - Apr 2 with 537 viewsIfonly

The fine margins between success and failure on 01:47 - Apr 2 by saint22

All joking aside this is astonishing reading and actually means we are doing remarkably well to be 4th
Supposedly football is a science now and managers likeRM dine out on stats? Well if true this should make him drop Baz asap and sign a new one this summer
How can you have a keeper rock bottom of the table and expect to succeed

What seems to be forgotten on this thread is why Baz is being picked. RM doesn't need to see those stats. I'm sure he knows already that Baz is hardly the best or most consistent shot stopper (he occasionally makes good saves). The reason he picks Baz anyway is because he can play with his feet (or so RM thinks).

In an RM team everything else takes second priority to possession. That's why he picks Baz so that we can "be brave" and play out from the back whenever possible. It's very difficult and very expensive to find a goalkeeper who can both be a traditional goalkeeper and play with his feet. We'll always have this problem as long as RM is in charge.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024