Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election Thread 17:46 - May 22 with 123611 viewsloftboy

This will be the first election that I have no idea who to vote for, will never vote Tory again after the lies during covid where my dad lost his life, don’t trust starmer, would never vote for a bunch of racists like reform , anyone give me a clue?

This post has been edited by an administrator

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 12:12 - May 28 with 2516 viewsderbyhoop

General Election Thread on 09:17 - May 28 by LowerloftLad

I wont be voting and I just switch TV off the moment I hear the words general election.

One thing everyone can agree on is that they all lie and the country is pretty much f£%ked now as it is and they are in it to line their own pockets.

So go ahead and vote for whoever you want but you will get the same outcome unfortunately.
[Post edited 28 May 9:20]

No vote = no say. You can't then complain if what follows is not to your taste.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 12:19 - May 28 with 2461 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 12:12 - May 28 by derbyhoop

I don’t really buy into this, especially with FPTP and binning FPTP would improve turnout.
General Election Thread on 12:29 - May 28 with 2394 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 12:19 - May 28 by Watford_Ranger

I don’t really buy into this, especially with FPTP and binning FPTP would improve turnout.

We had a referendum on voting reform in 2011. Less than 50% of eligible voters bothered to vote. 2 out of 3 voted no.

I don't really buy the "We need to bin FPTP" sentiment given we had an opportunity to do it in recent history, and passed on it. For context, I was a Yes. AV was not ideal, but surely still better than FPTP/2 party (But both basically the same) system. Apparently not when both major parties like things the way they are.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

General Election Thread on 12:56 - May 28 with 2349 viewsessextaxiboy

If you are/ were anti Brexit but in favour of PR it worth remembering that under PR, UKIP would have won 83 seats in 2015 having out polled all of the smaller parties added together and therefore holding the balance of power.
General Election Thread on 12:59 - May 28 with 2322 viewsClive_Anderson

General Election Thread on 11:52 - May 28 by Esox_Lucius

Without appearing to be pedantic; both sides were fined for expense related excesses that breached the government's spending rules. Only one was charged with illegalities. I will be more than happy to see both the major parties drop out of existence as getting richer seems to be more important than serving the country to the current incumbents.
Incidentally, PoliticsHome is a conservative owned publication with Michael Ashcroft as the major shareholder. Unlikely to be an unbiased news source.
[Post edited 28 May 11:55]

Well ok they both broke the rules but leave also broke the law (I thought the rules were the law but ok).

Are you also prepared to admit the extra £9m remain got to spend off the books was unfair and undemocratic and more than negated the wrong doing of the leave side?
General Election Thread on 13:08 - May 28 with 2284 viewsessextaxiboy

General Election Thread on 12:12 - May 28 by derbyhoop

Which of course applies to the 18-30 age group after the Brexit vote
General Election Thread on 13:09 - May 28 with 2277 viewsWatford_Ranger

General Election Thread on 12:29 - May 28 by SheffieldHoop

We had a referendum on voting reform in 2011. Less than 50% of eligible voters bothered to vote. 2 out of 3 voted no.

I don't really buy the "We need to bin FPTP" sentiment given we had an opportunity to do it in recent history, and passed on it. For context, I was a Yes. AV was not ideal, but surely still better than FPTP/2 party (But both basically the same) system. Apparently not when both major parties like things the way they are.

A lot changes in 13 years. I think there’s a lot more appetite for something more representative now after the nonsense we’ve had in that time. Young people who would benefit more from a different system are far more politically engaged than I was at that age in 2011.
General Election Thread on 13:44 - May 28 with 2193 viewsJevlar

I don’t think the conservatives have had long enough.
Login to get fewer ads

General Election Thread on 13:45 - May 28 with 2189 viewsCamberleyR

Can we steer the topic away from the B word guys and stick to the General Election?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

General Election Thread on 14:01 - May 28 with 2154 viewsderbyhoop

General Election Thread on 13:08 - May 28 by essextaxiboy

Which of course applies to the 18-30 age group after the Brexit vote

No argument from me on that.
If you can't be bothered to vote you can't complain too much about the outcome.
I've never subscribed to claims of 37% approval in Brexit vote. It was 52:48 for those who could be ars3d.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

General Election Thread on 14:03 - May 28 with 2125 viewsSheffieldHoop

General Election Thread on 13:09 - May 28 by Watford_Ranger

A lot changes in 13 years. I think there’s a lot more appetite for something more representative now after the nonsense we’ve had in that time. Young people who would benefit more from a different system are far more politically engaged than I was at that age in 2011.

Meh, I still think that both major parties would whip their MPs and grassroots to campaign for a 'No', and 'No' would win.

General Election Thread on 14:05 - May 28 with 2127 viewsQPR_John

General Election Thread on 11:25 - May 28 by QPR_Hibs

" Which will lead to every state pensioner with no other income having to fill in a self assessment form with the extra burden on the IR at the end of the tax year. "

A small point, but I'm pretty sure that there will be no requirement to fill out self assessment forms. If your income exceeds your tax code the government will know!

But the problem stems from the fact while taxable the state pension is not taxed at source. That is no tax is paid during the tax year and will have to be paid as a lump sum should the state pension exceed the tax free allowance. So its self assessment or the IR sending payment demands to all receiving only the state pension.
[Post edited 28 May 14:11]
General Election Thread on 14:23 - May 28 with 2056 viewsessextaxiboy

General Election Thread on 10:15 - May 28 by QPR_John

The tax allowance is £12750 and the state pension is about £11500. Now while the state pension is taxable it is not taxed at source (like PAYE). Hence any pensioner receiving only the state pension does not in effect pay any tax. Without any change the state pension will eventually exceed the free pay allowance. Which will lead to every state pensioner with no other income having to fill in a self assessment form with the extra burden on the IR at the end of the tax year. Unless the free pay allowance increases in the near future this plan was inevitable whoever gets in.

The tax free allowance is frozen until 27/28
General Election Thread on 15:41 - May 28 with 1940 viewskensalriser

General Election Thread on 14:23 - May 28 by essextaxiboy

The tax free allowance is frozen until 27/28

It is and it isn't. It can be changed in any budget.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

General Election Thread on 16:04 - May 28 with 1872 viewsdmm

General Election Thread on 11:09 - May 28 by SheffieldHoop

UKIP eating into the Conservative vote forced the referendum. Cameron wouldn't have got his majority in 2015 without including that referendum commitment in the manifesto. It's a rare case of democracy actually working and giving the Government no option but to listen to us, and we should be proud of that.

More referendums, more democracy.

So you like direct democracy? Okay then, let's have another referendum on Brexit.
General Election Thread on 16:21 - May 28 with 1822 viewsrbee

General Election Thread on 16:04 - May 28 by dmm

So you like direct democracy? Okay then, let's have another referendum on Brexit.

I wonder how the European Union would treat us slinking back with our tail between our legs. I doubt it would be a painless process.

With regard to the General Election seeing as whoever is in power makes little difference nationally I will be voting locally.
[Post edited 28 May 16:28]
General Election Thread on 16:31 - May 28 with 1790 viewsQPR_Hibs

General Election Thread on 14:05 - May 28 by QPR_John

But the problem stems from the fact while taxable the state pension is not taxed at source. That is no tax is paid during the tax year and will have to be paid as a lump sum should the state pension exceed the tax free allowance. So its self assessment or the IR sending payment demands to all receiving only the state pension.
[Post edited 28 May 14:11]

Fair enough.

It would therefore make sense (and save a load of administration) for the tax free allowance to be raised to match the state pension amount in the future.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

General Election Thread on 16:43 - May 28 with 1731 viewsQPR_John

You obviously think you will win even with the knowledge that we will be in the Schengen area and will be forced to adopt the Euro should we be allowed to re-join. It seems to me that those wanting a return to the EU not only think it was a bad idea to leave but in reality believe there is no circumstance where we could leave no matter what Brussels inflicted on us with majority voting. Is such an organisation a little dangerous. We voted to join the Common Market not what the organisation became and when given the choice we voted out. The EU like any other such organisation wants more and more power until it will eventually kill itself.
General Election Thread on 16:44 - May 28 with 1721 viewsQPR_John

General Election Thread on 16:31 - May 28 by QPR_Hibs

Fair enough.

It would therefore make sense (and save a load of administration) for the tax free allowance to be raised to match the state pension amount in the future.

Agree
General Election Thread on 16:56 - May 28 with 1674 viewsSheffieldHoop

I've always expected we would be asked again. Standard EU tactic. A second referendum was always going to come eventually, regardless of whether anybody is seriously asking for it or not. And atm I can't see that many people seriously are.

I'm not sure this country has been sufficiently engineered and propagandized to prevent another "leave" vote, although it does seem to be in the works. I can't see that many people in Sunderland or Sheffield or any other Brexity town have changed their view on it. These people were abandoned while we were very much in the EU and nothing has changed since we left. The EU migrants have been replaced by Non-EU migrants. It's now time for those abandoned people to come to terms with a managerial elite that hates them (and basically wants them substituted for a more compliant slave class)

General Election Thread on 17:14 - May 28 with 1624 viewsLblock

General Election Thread on 16:43 - May 28 by QPR_John

You obviously think you will win even with the knowledge that we will be in the Schengen area and will be forced to adopt the Euro should we be allowed to re-join. It seems to me that those wanting a return to the EU not only think it was a bad idea to leave but in reality believe there is no circumstance where we could leave no matter what Brussels inflicted on us with majority voting. Is such an organisation a little dangerous. We voted to join the Common Market not what the organisation became and when given the choice we voted out. The EU like any other such organisation wants more and more power until it will eventually kill itself.

Well put

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

General Election Thread on 18:24 - May 28 with 1521 viewswillesdenr

It's worth pointing out that FPTP is not exactly democratic. In the 2019 election the current Tory government received only 43.6% of the popular vote, yet ended up with an 80 seat majority. Nationally the SNP received 3.9% of the vote and gained 48 seats, while the Greens received 2,7% and only 1 seat.

Putin wouldn't have to murder his opponents with that voting system.
General Election Thread on 18:34 - May 28 with 1487 viewsloftupper

General Election Thread on 16:56 - May 28 by SheffieldHoop

I've always expected we would be asked again. Standard EU tactic. A second referendum was always going to come eventually, regardless of whether anybody is seriously asking for it or not. And atm I can't see that many people seriously are.

I'm not sure this country has been sufficiently engineered and propagandized to prevent another "leave" vote, although it does seem to be in the works. I can't see that many people in Sunderland or Sheffield or any other Brexity town have changed their view on it. These people were abandoned while we were very much in the EU and nothing has changed since we left. The EU migrants have been replaced by Non-EU migrants. It's now time for those abandoned people to come to terms with a managerial elite that hates them (and basically wants them substituted for a more compliant slave class)

I honestly enjoy reading your hyperbole. 'compliant slave class'
General Election Thread on 19:52 - May 28 with 1396 viewsloftboy

General Election Thread on 11:40 - May 28 by colinallcars

I was alarmed by Starmer wishing to lower the voting age to 16.
I would raise it to 53 and smoking a pipe.

Oxymoron that one by Kier, I left school at 16 and 1 month, straight into work paying taxes but couldn’t vote until I was 18, now kids can’t leave until they’re 18 but will be able to vote whilst still at school. 🤷‍♂️

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

General Election Thread on 20:32 - May 28 with 1342 viewsnumptydumpty

General Election Thread on 19:52 - May 28 by loftboy

Oxymoron that one by Kier, I left school at 16 and 1 month, straight into work paying taxes but couldn’t vote until I was 18, now kids can’t leave until they’re 18 but will be able to vote whilst still at school. 🤷‍♂️

I am guessing the lowest percentage of actual votes cast is lowest in the youngest age range ie 18 to 24.

I was reasonably intelligent as a 16 to 18 year old but most of my views around politics at the time came from Spitting Image and I was far from responsible.

But I guess a great percentage of voters dont look deeply into what is promised and what is expected anyhow

But then also there is the question as to what we are actually voting for and who exactly we are voting for, to implement their specific policies and who we actually believe will do what they say

Its almost like we are voting for who we dont like the least !!!

Not great options

But if you are legally allowed to engage in sexual intercourse with the responsibility of birth control, then voting isnt really that much of a responsibility by way of comparison.
[Post edited 28 May 20:34]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024