Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR 10:43 - Aug 1 with 42343 viewsQuite_Possibly_Ropey

Can't see another 7-0 today but we will be there again to enjoy! From yesterday's starting lineup, we can already pick out some of the starters today:

GK - Ward
DEF - Mbengue, Morrison, Edwards, ? Maybe Esquerdinha, unless Larkeche gets more minutes?
MID - Varane, Vale Not sure who else?
FWD - Burrell, Poku, ?

Guessing there won't be any Kolli, Saito or Obikwu?
[Post edited 1 Aug 10:46]
0
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:16 - Aug 1 with 3729 viewsBeckenhamhoop

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:09 - Aug 1 by Lblock

Yep. That’s the fella.
Like I say, despite his ability to dazzle a goal in I’m still not feeling there’s a dominant midfielder in there.
EuroRanger agrees with you and not me.

I will say late in the game he did get back and toe poke the ball away to stop an AFC promising attack (Mbengue MIA) which is good to see.
Wish him well and I hope he’s the latest in a long line to prove me wrong


If the line is that long, maybe give up on judging a player 😂

Poll: Julian Stepháne…stick or twist

2
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:21 - Aug 1 with 3606 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Well that was interesting to watch. Big problems in CM as usual without Madsen, so no change there. We desperately need to bring in 2.
Ward looking like a more expensive Joe Walsh.

Morrison got absolutely skinned by their converted winger now a striker. For context he's never scored a goal in the EFL in 84 appearances.

Akindileni is taller, but now bigger built than Morrison.

Poll: How is Nourry cooking so far ? 🤣

0
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:22 - Aug 1 with 3588 viewsDWQPR

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:15 - Aug 1 by WestbourneR

Always said he was no good. Weak powder puff, slow, lacks aerial prowess, got a huge mistake in him every game.

Oddly rated by many for a while.

Think that’s done now


Wouldn’t be surprised if Morrison gets sold to a Scottish Prem team before the deadline. Akendilani I feel will be the one to have the ability to step up from what I’ve seen of him more than Smith.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

1
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:25 - Aug 1 with 3558 viewsStocktake

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:09 - Aug 1 by Lblock

Yep. That’s the fella.
Like I say, despite his ability to dazzle a goal in I’m still not feeling there’s a dominant midfielder in there.
EuroRanger agrees with you and not me.

I will say late in the game he did get back and toe poke the ball away to stop an AFC promising attack (Mbengue MIA) which is good to see.
Wish him well and I hope he’s the latest in a long line to prove me wrong


Thought he was ok today and definitely has a touch of class. But he does seem to disappear for long periods. Fingers crossed he pushes on .
0
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:28 - Aug 1 with 3494 viewsBig_Mac

Kolli arrived around the 70th/80th minute and sat in the crowd not far from me. Poor fella was bombarded with photo requests but didn’t turn anyone away.
6
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:32 - Aug 1 with 3413 viewsDorse

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:09 - Aug 1 by DaBurgh

Mbengue is looking more calm and under control, maybe the talking to's have finally come home to roost. I like the guy.


He has the makings of an excellent all-round defender as well as a bit of a cult hero. I think he's a great fit for The People's Republic of Shepherds Bush (no splitters).

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

6
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:35 - Aug 1 with 3376 viewsLogman

Just got back.

For the most part quite a sluggish game. Only Mbengue played with any real zip for any duration (I don't count the subs because they were only on the pitch for 20 - 30 minutes). Mbengue was hammering up the line right to the end, I was very impressed. He was our best player, with Ronnie behind.

No-one really stood out. Kone and Burrell did OK but they were more or less contained by their centre backs. Poku, when he was on threatened but I think Smyth probably edges him for all over product out wide.

I thought Varane was OK. We know he is not the most enterprising but he did what he does quite well. When he went off, Ronnie went to CDM and he played well there, sweeping the ball around well. That is definitely an option in the later stages of games.

We still need to buy a few players who are already fit for purpose and don't need to be developed.

Oh, and I'm not sure why we have got Ward in. Seems like a wasted signing.
7
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:40 - Aug 1 with 3280 viewsTwoHalves

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:32 - Aug 1 by Dorse

He has the makings of an excellent all-round defender as well as a bit of a cult hero. I think he's a great fit for The People's Republic of Shepherds Bush (no splitters).


The Shepherd’s Bush People’s Republic might have something to say about that.
4
Login to get fewer ads

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:41 - Aug 1 with 3265 viewsDavieQPR

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:21 - Aug 1 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Well that was interesting to watch. Big problems in CM as usual without Madsen, so no change there. We desperately need to bring in 2.
Ward looking like a more expensive Joe Walsh.

Morrison got absolutely skinned by their converted winger now a striker. For context he's never scored a goal in the EFL in 84 appearances.

Akindileni is taller, but now bigger built than Morrison.


Was that ignorance or bias?He has scored before in the EFL whilst playing as WB. He also scored 4 in their last friendly match.
0
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:47 - Aug 1 with 3183 viewsfrancisbowles

Observations from the stream.

Mbengue superb. MOM for me. The crossing meeting has had a positive effect.😁

Vale and Varane both did quite well at times but need to do a bit more. Varane now looking to pass toward when he can but AFC were very deep and spread across the pitch so difficult to find a player in space.

Morrison, didn't realise how slow he is. Sadly a really poor second half.

Ward poor for second goal, should he have come out quicker or further for the first?
Distribution pretty good but not upto Charles's level.

Kone good to see him, seems ok but not risked for too long. Burrell ran all afternoon but has to watch the offside traps.

Poku more minutes but quieter than other games, probably due their five at the back denying space.

Handsome Ronnie not a hair out of space. Nice attempt to lob Ward!😳. Otherwise very steady.

Saito, Scarlet and PEARMAN all good finishes. Leon isn't 17 until the 16th of this month. A big hope for the future. Hope he's going to sign that pro contract.

Esquerdinha and Larkeche were ok at lb. Akindelini was steady and fairly comfortable at lcb.
0
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:53 - Aug 1 with 3068 viewsSK_hoops

Hopefully Scarlett will be made captain one day.
[Post edited 1 Aug 17:53]
11
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:53 - Aug 1 with 3053 viewsDorse

Should Scarlett get the armband this season?
[Post edited 1 Aug 17:54]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

5
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:54 - Aug 1 with 3049 viewsSK_hoops

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:53 - Aug 1 by Dorse

Should Scarlett get the armband this season?
[Post edited 1 Aug 17:54]


Wow, great minds.
3
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:56 - Aug 1 with 3019 viewsJuzzie

How many R’s fans were there?
I went three years ago and we had a decent turnout then.
1
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:56 - Aug 1 with 3008 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:41 - Aug 1 by DavieQPR

Was that ignorance or bias?He has scored before in the EFL whilst playing as WB. He also scored 4 in their last friendly match.


Never scored in the EFL. Fact.

And he is also considered a bit of a joke by Wimbledon fans.

Poll: How is Nourry cooking so far ? 🤣

1
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:00 - Aug 1 with 2971 viewsBrianMcCarthy

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:35 - Aug 1 by Logman

Just got back.

For the most part quite a sluggish game. Only Mbengue played with any real zip for any duration (I don't count the subs because they were only on the pitch for 20 - 30 minutes). Mbengue was hammering up the line right to the end, I was very impressed. He was our best player, with Ronnie behind.

No-one really stood out. Kone and Burrell did OK but they were more or less contained by their centre backs. Poku, when he was on threatened but I think Smyth probably edges him for all over product out wide.

I thought Varane was OK. We know he is not the most enterprising but he did what he does quite well. When he went off, Ronnie went to CDM and he played well there, sweeping the ball around well. That is definitely an option in the later stages of games.

We still need to buy a few players who are already fit for purpose and don't need to be developed.

Oh, and I'm not sure why we have got Ward in. Seems like a wasted signing.


"I thought Varane was OK. We know he is not the most enterprising but he did what he does quite well. When he went off, Ronnie went to CDM and he played well there, sweeping the ball around well. That is definitely an option in the later stages of games."

I agree with you that we were sluggish today, Logman, and I think this paragraph maybe touches on why we were.

With the oppo playing two up front, three in centre-mid, and three centre-backs it was always going to be tough to play through the middle.

I thought - albeit only watching in a stream - that from the very off Varane didn't want to take the ball from the centre-backs or goalie. We have seen this before, of course, but in this pre-season he has shown signs that maybe he wants to change that. Today, he didn't. And to such an extent that I wondered if our tactics were to avoid playing through the middle where the oppo had the numbers and to go down the wings where we had the numbers.

So, when Edwards moved there, all eyes were on him. And I thought he didn't want that out ball either. You could actually see him trying to occupy an oppo player and take him away so that we could have an overload elsewhere.

So - even allowing for last year - I do wonder if today wasn't on Varane, but actually a tactical decision by Stéphan.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

1
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:02 - Aug 1 with 2940 viewsJezHoops

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:28 - Aug 1 by Big_Mac

Kolli arrived around the 70th/80th minute and sat in the crowd not far from me. Poor fella was bombarded with photo requests but didn’t turn anyone away.


I was really impressed by the fact that he stayed behind in the crowd for ages after the whistle for selfies with kids and adults.
My take is firstly he is a lovely guy given the way in which he interacted with everyone. Secondly he isn’t going to accept going out on a loan. He wants to stay and play.
8
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:06 - Aug 1 with 2893 viewsstevec

Enjoyable game for a friendly.

We’d have serious problems if Dunne wasn’t available, Mbengue rescuing us twice first half with headers when the CB’s had gone awol.

Don’t know much about Wimbledon no 29 but he was a handful.
1
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:07 - Aug 1 with 2883 viewsDavieQPR

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:56 - Aug 1 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Never scored in the EFL. Fact.

And he is also considered a bit of a joke by Wimbledon fans.


Aron Sasu who was playing striker today has 4 EFL goals. Real fact.
0
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:08 - Aug 1 with 2862 viewsLogman

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:00 - Aug 1 by BrianMcCarthy

"I thought Varane was OK. We know he is not the most enterprising but he did what he does quite well. When he went off, Ronnie went to CDM and he played well there, sweeping the ball around well. That is definitely an option in the later stages of games."

I agree with you that we were sluggish today, Logman, and I think this paragraph maybe touches on why we were.

With the oppo playing two up front, three in centre-mid, and three centre-backs it was always going to be tough to play through the middle.

I thought - albeit only watching in a stream - that from the very off Varane didn't want to take the ball from the centre-backs or goalie. We have seen this before, of course, but in this pre-season he has shown signs that maybe he wants to change that. Today, he didn't. And to such an extent that I wondered if our tactics were to avoid playing through the middle where the oppo had the numbers and to go down the wings where we had the numbers.

So, when Edwards moved there, all eyes were on him. And I thought he didn't want that out ball either. You could actually see him trying to occupy an oppo player and take him away so that we could have an overload elsewhere.

So - even allowing for last year - I do wonder if today wasn't on Varane, but actually a tactical decision by Stéphan.


Yes, I imagine JS had stressed the need to get the ball out wide given our 4-4-2 line-up. Another mitigating factor in relation to Varane was that he had Vale alongside him in centre mid and he (Vale) didn't really do the job as well as Madsen does and hence, it was not so easy for Varane to play it through the middle of the park. There simply wasn't the option. Vale was tidy enough but he's not really an option in a two man midfield. He's too much of a luxury for that.
2
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:13 - Aug 1 with 2785 viewsRsole

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:07 - Aug 1 by DavieQPR

Aron Sasu who was playing striker today has 4 EFL goals. Real fact.


Stop it !

Those possessed by devils, try and keep them under control a bit, can't you ?

0
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:14 - Aug 1 with 2775 viewsPlanetHonneywood

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 17:22 - Aug 1 by DWQPR

Wouldn’t be surprised if Morrison gets sold to a Scottish Prem team before the deadline. Akendilani I feel will be the one to have the ability to step up from what I’ve seen of him more than Smith.


He was absolutely roasted today by their lad. I also think when someone starts getting the better of him, he's done for the rest of the game, as he ain't going to pull it around.

Only saw a few minutes of Timmy A in Perpignan lat year and he looked very composed for an 18-year old lad. Might be a tall ask for him to be fourth choice CB at the moment, but of what I saw of Smith when he came on a few times last season, TA wouldn't be as rash.

But if cash were on the table for Morrison, I'd be tempted to take it and get in a gnarly warhorse for a season or two. Someone we can bring on to shore it up when needed and who the likes of Smith and TA could really learn from.

Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

2
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:14 - Aug 1 with 2768 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Tough day for Ward, but showed plenty of positives.

No passing options so distribution was always going to be a challenge.

Clearly at fault for the second goal where he misjudged the cross - Mbengue and Morrison failed to deal with the striker as well. He should have been screened off.

Their first goal is just an excellent finish imho. Nothing Ward can do about that. He should have been tracked by Vale, though, and floored by Morrison. And Mbengue's only trotting back. So, as with most goals, there's enough blame to go around.

And he made a decent save in the second half and dealt with a couple of backpasses well.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

5
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:15 - Aug 1 with 2770 viewsNorthantsHoop

Not reading too much into this as again only really half a Ist team out there. Couple of observations Poku still not asserting himself on games, especially when a starter, looked really good last week when he came on as sub. Agree with a couple of other posts, Charles looks the better all round option in goal. The team that started against Fiorentina last week is definately our best 11. Overall been a very good pre-season we look a lot sharper than in previous years.
[Post edited 1 Aug 18:19]
4
AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:25 - Aug 1 with 2643 viewsSuperhoops2808

AFC Wimbledon Vs QPR on 18:14 - Aug 1 by PlanetHonneywood

He was absolutely roasted today by their lad. I also think when someone starts getting the better of him, he's done for the rest of the game, as he ain't going to pull it around.

Only saw a few minutes of Timmy A in Perpignan lat year and he looked very composed for an 18-year old lad. Might be a tall ask for him to be fourth choice CB at the moment, but of what I saw of Smith when he came on a few times last season, TA wouldn't be as rash.

But if cash were on the table for Morrison, I'd be tempted to take it and get in a gnarly warhorse for a season or two. Someone we can bring on to shore it up when needed and who the likes of Smith and TA could really learn from.


I'd be tempted to take it and get in a gnarly warhorse for a season or two.

What, like Steve Cook you mean
6
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026