Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First reaction for Millwall defeat 16:14 - Aug 8 with 22561 viewsOakR

Obviously the big negative is that we are out which ultimately is all that matters, and we gited them their goal in normal time.

Penalties were a mixture of not great pens from us but in fairness some great saves also from their keeper.

All that said we drew 1-1 with one of the best teams from last year, both playing pretty much full strength sides. We deserved a draw at least, created the most chances, pretty solid defensively and potentially moving the ball forwards quickly much faster.

Performance wise I think it was decent - plenty of moments of frustration, but I feel if we play like that and improve on the errors for last third we will be ok this season.

Hard to be positive after a loss, but I'm not all doom and gloom after that, frustrating as the result is.

Poll: Will we stay up?

12
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 19:11 - Aug 8 with 3344 viewsSteveB

79 mins of Mbengue was enough to tell me we won't be in the play offs this season whilst he is 1st choice. Liability.
0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 19:24 - Aug 8 with 3265 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 17:03 - Aug 8 by Wegerles_Stairs

Their keeper barely had anything to do until the penalties.


Neither did our GK so not sure what your point is.

Poll: How is Nourry cooking so far ? 🤣

0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 19:34 - Aug 8 with 3207 viewsed_83

Thought we looked decent overall: solid at the back, moved the ball quickly and with purpose, looked in good physical condition for the start of the season. Definitely the better team over the 90 minutes.

My main concern was our lack of cutting edge up front: Kone, Chair and Burrell were all disappointing, and we created next to nothing in the first half. Between the four penalties and Charles' clanger I feel like we lost focus or confidence at key moments, and gave the game away.

No reason for panic, but definitely plenty of things to work on ahead of next weekend I think.
4
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 20:09 - Aug 8 with 2996 viewsnix

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 19:34 - Aug 8 by ed_83

Thought we looked decent overall: solid at the back, moved the ball quickly and with purpose, looked in good physical condition for the start of the season. Definitely the better team over the 90 minutes.

My main concern was our lack of cutting edge up front: Kone, Chair and Burrell were all disappointing, and we created next to nothing in the first half. Between the four penalties and Charles' clanger I feel like we lost focus or confidence at key moments, and gave the game away.

No reason for panic, but definitely plenty of things to work on ahead of next weekend I think.


With regard to Burrell, he started slowly last season too. He only scored one in his first nine matches. Kone tended to be streaky, he’d score in three successive matches and then nothing for the next five and then a flurry again. So not scoring in one match against one of the stingiest defences in the Championship isn’t necessarily cause for massive concern.

Chair I think just needs to not try and do everything. He got so used to carrying the team that he’s still trying to do it rather than let his colleagues take some of the responsibility. I do think on the whole Madsen is better at dead ball situations so I’d rather he took more of the FKs and corners.

I’m very excited about Charles’ distribution. It really adds a dimension to our play. But maybe we’re still sensitive to last season’s attempts by our selection of goalies to find a variety of ways to let goals in. Hopefully today was a one off because I don’t thing I can live through another season on eggshells. One thing I do notice is our defence is quite comfortable passing back to him and they seem to have more confidence in him than our goalies last year.
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 20:12 - Aug 8 with 2987 viewsBeejnewark

and the one time they chose not to simply pass back to him, chaos ensued..
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 20:31 - Aug 8 with 2921 viewsBAWHoops

I thought we looked good. Millwall a v tough opponent and compared to last season we stood up well to them.
I'd like to see us stick with that midfield 3 at home this season if we can. It's very progressive and creative. Give Chair and Vale the chance to learn those roles and it could be a cracking season.
Back 4 looked solid (Mbengue brain farts aside).
Not sure about Burell on the right, but Poku did no better when he was on

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 20:37 - Aug 8 with 2911 viewsR_from_afar

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 16:47 - Aug 8 by bosh67

https://www.skysports.com/foot

Highlights. If you look at the Saito pen thing he's definitely fouled. It's definitely a penalty. But we probably would have missed it. The Charles error is so weird. He completely loses his balance. Penalty saves by both keepers were good, our pens were awful but very few actual pen takers still on at that point. Charles' final pen save is really brilliant.

Ultimately we have to be a lot better at taking our chances this season and hopefully learn a bit from this. Not awful but clearly work to do over the weeks ahead.


"Ultimately we have to be a lot better at taking our chances this season and hopefully learn a bit from this. Not awful but clearly work to do over the weeks ahead".

It might ultimately be beneficial to suffer this reality check at this early stage. Might...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 20:39 - Aug 8 with 2891 viewsdmm

Our set piece deliveries were atrocious today. Madsen must take them all because neither Chair nor Vale could do the job. The new set piece coach was on the touch line giving instructions every time we had a corner or free kick but he'd have seen little of his work during the week given a chance to work.

Come to that, a penalty is a set piece, and they were all atrocious too.

That said, it wasn't all bad. There were some encouraging play to build on as well.
7
Login to get fewer ads

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 20:51 - Aug 8 with 2826 viewsbaz_qpr

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 20:39 - Aug 8 by dmm

Our set piece deliveries were atrocious today. Madsen must take them all because neither Chair nor Vale could do the job. The new set piece coach was on the touch line giving instructions every time we had a corner or free kick but he'd have seen little of his work during the week given a chance to work.

Come to that, a penalty is a set piece, and they were all atrocious too.

That said, it wasn't all bad. There were some encouraging play to build on as well.


tbf we scored from a Chair corner and probably should have scored from one earlier, that's not to say there not some poor ones because there were plenty
3
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 21:12 - Aug 8 with 2736 viewsSK_hoops

QPR's 15,000th cup defeat. I couldn't watch the game today, but I doubt I'd be thinking of any positives. Only one thing matters in the cup. Winning. We failed.
4
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 21:36 - Aug 8 with 2619 viewsVancouverHoop

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 20:39 - Aug 8 by dmm

Our set piece deliveries were atrocious today. Madsen must take them all because neither Chair nor Vale could do the job. The new set piece coach was on the touch line giving instructions every time we had a corner or free kick but he'd have seen little of his work during the week given a chance to work.

Come to that, a penalty is a set piece, and they were all atrocious too.

That said, it wasn't all bad. There were some encouraging play to build on as well.


I agree totally. Madsen was just having a run out today I guess. You'd hope he'd be taking most corners, most offensive FKs, and be first up for any pen.

Otherwise first proper match of the season is always about players finding their sea legs and game face. Liked Kemper, think Lloyd maybe turning into a handy player, and Varane showed a few signs of maturity at last. The coming weeks will tell us more.
[Post edited 8 Aug 21:38]
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 21:58 - Aug 8 with 2519 viewsdaveB

we played some nice stuff at times, but decision-making around the box wasn't great, we took an extra pass or too many touches instead of crossing or shooting.

Not terrible but not great either against a patched up Millwall team.

Burrell out wide really didn't work
4
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 22:41 - Aug 8 with 2362 viewsNed_Kennedys

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 20:09 - Aug 8 by nix

With regard to Burrell, he started slowly last season too. He only scored one in his first nine matches. Kone tended to be streaky, he’d score in three successive matches and then nothing for the next five and then a flurry again. So not scoring in one match against one of the stingiest defences in the Championship isn’t necessarily cause for massive concern.

Chair I think just needs to not try and do everything. He got so used to carrying the team that he’s still trying to do it rather than let his colleagues take some of the responsibility. I do think on the whole Madsen is better at dead ball situations so I’d rather he took more of the FKs and corners.

I’m very excited about Charles’ distribution. It really adds a dimension to our play. But maybe we’re still sensitive to last season’s attempts by our selection of goalies to find a variety of ways to let goals in. Hopefully today was a one off because I don’t thing I can live through another season on eggshells. One thing I do notice is our defence is quite comfortable passing back to him and they seem to have more confidence in him than our goalies last year.


Chair hasn’t ’carried the team’ for at least three seasons though.
Really need Madsen taking all the set pieces so that Chair is freed up to create in other ways.
0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 22:47 - Aug 8 with 2362 viewsStainrod

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 20:09 - Aug 8 by nix

With regard to Burrell, he started slowly last season too. He only scored one in his first nine matches. Kone tended to be streaky, he’d score in three successive matches and then nothing for the next five and then a flurry again. So not scoring in one match against one of the stingiest defences in the Championship isn’t necessarily cause for massive concern.

Chair I think just needs to not try and do everything. He got so used to carrying the team that he’s still trying to do it rather than let his colleagues take some of the responsibility. I do think on the whole Madsen is better at dead ball situations so I’d rather he took more of the FKs and corners.

I’m very excited about Charles’ distribution. It really adds a dimension to our play. But maybe we’re still sensitive to last season’s attempts by our selection of goalies to find a variety of ways to let goals in. Hopefully today was a one off because I don’t thing I can live through another season on eggshells. One thing I do notice is our defence is quite comfortable passing back to him and they seem to have more confidence in him than our goalies last year.


think you are being v generous to Burrell there.

We all get off days/ things not working etc.

He was terrible today - just didn't seem bothered.
0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 22:50 - Aug 8 with 2342 viewsrottcodd

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 21:58 - Aug 8 by daveB

we played some nice stuff at times, but decision-making around the box wasn't great, we took an extra pass or too many touches instead of crossing or shooting.

Not terrible but not great either against a patched up Millwall team.

Burrell out wide really didn't work


Boy Kemper not only played well, but looked like he hated losing.

I thought Millwall's defending was excellent. We still edged the match comfortably.

Much too early to write off players based on one performance.
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 22:54 - Aug 8 with 2304 viewsWegerles_Stairs

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 19:24 - Aug 8 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Neither did our GK so not sure what your point is.


I was replying to a post that said we had 11 shots.
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 22:57 - Aug 8 with 2304 viewsStainrod

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 22:50 - Aug 8 by rottcodd

Boy Kemper not only played well, but looked like he hated losing.

I thought Millwall's defending was excellent. We still edged the match comfortably.

Much too early to write off players based on one performance.


Only one game so too early to tell, but looked pretty basic to me. Upgrade on Kenneth Paal?
0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 23:06 - Aug 8 with 2262 viewsBoston

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 19:34 - Aug 8 by ed_83

Thought we looked decent overall: solid at the back, moved the ball quickly and with purpose, looked in good physical condition for the start of the season. Definitely the better team over the 90 minutes.

My main concern was our lack of cutting edge up front: Kone, Chair and Burrell were all disappointing, and we created next to nothing in the first half. Between the four penalties and Charles' clanger I feel like we lost focus or confidence at key moments, and gave the game away.

No reason for panic, but definitely plenty of things to work on ahead of next weekend I think.


"Lack of cutting edge up front".

I came to the same general conclusions as most on here, but this was the main area of concern for me.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

2
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 23:47 - Aug 8 with 2161 viewsnumptydumpty

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 19:01 - Aug 8 by Big_Mac

I decided to treat myself and the Mrs to hospitality for the first time (cup game was cheaper than a league match) and Obikwu was sat there with Kolli, Larkeche, Morrison and Lamptey. Also saw Kevin Gallen and Richard Langley.


Langley and Gallen you say.

Well there is the mystery solved as to why numbers 8 & 9 are not assigned to any squad player as yet !


No Dembele or Kamara then - about the only squad members left ??


Hope you enjoyed hospitality. i upgraded to platinum seat today, which basically is a padded cushions on the back and the seat itself. No expense spared by the multi millionaires there then...
[Post edited 8 Aug 23:51]

"Walking in a Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Main Reason you started following QPR ??

0
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 00:27 - Aug 9 with 2084 viewsnix

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 22:47 - Aug 8 by Stainrod

think you are being v generous to Burrell there.

We all get off days/ things not working etc.

He was terrible today - just didn't seem bothered.


I don’t think I said he was good? What I said was he didn’t start with a bang last season either.

I’m not sure being underwhelming means you’re not bothered though, especially when he was clearly out of position.
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 00:30 - Aug 9 with 2075 viewsnix

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 22:41 - Aug 8 by Ned_Kennedys

Chair hasn’t ’carried the team’ for at least three seasons though.
Really need Madsen taking all the set pieces so that Chair is freed up to create in other ways.


I think I’m agreeing with you, that was my point really. He doesn’t carry the team but acts as if he still does and other players defer to him to the detriment of the team. Respect is all very well but I’d like Madsen to just grab the ball sometimes and take some of the corners and FKs on the days that every one of Chair’s seems to hit the first man.
4
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 00:55 - Aug 9 with 1997 viewsViewFrom165

Mixed feelings about the performance and learnings from the game for me.

Will start with a few positives. Charles' distribution was top, particularly to the full backs when pushed up high, he got us up the pitch and on the front foot on many occasions. We also progressed the ball well through the lines in midfield before Millwall made some changes and stopped that from happening in the 2nd half. Thought the Defence was good as a unit and individually throughout. Can't decide if it was to our credit or if Millwall just stood off us but felt like we were always in control and got in to the final third with relative ease for most of the game, but that's where the good stuff stopped.

Will start the negatives with Burrell being played out wide. He was so ineffective against Fiorentina I had hoped we wouldn't see it again, and today will hopefully put a swift end to that experiment. I think he's quite a limited Footballer but his main strengths (pace in behind and 6 yard box tap ins) when played to are hugely effective, however if we are to be a possession based 433 team I don't see a role for him in the starting XI. He has no technical ability and even more worryingly didn't see any of his explosivity today when he had the opportunity to use it.

Kone's hold up and back to goal game needs serious work, a few promising moves broke down because of his bad touches and poor link up play, he didn't work the Millwall CB's half as much as Coburn did ours. Smyth tried as he always does but it was one of those games for him where nothing came off, combined with my comments about Burrell it meant there was next to no service for Kone from wide areas. All 3 didn't play well at all and made us look toothless upfront.

Lastly, a very frustrating performance from Chair. We now have some players around him that he needs to learn to trust and not insist on everything going through him. At 28 he still hasn't learnt to take the ball on the half turn/back foot, his first touch still comes backwards and he slowed down the game and let Millwall get back in to shape way too much. He looked slow and heavy, didn't have the pace to buy himself more time when he was clean through, and the final ball for Kone stopped what should have been a certain goal.

Caveat to the negatives were that it was the first competitive game trying that new set up, still some rustiness, it was hot, and Millwall are no pushovers, but I personally think everyone should be held to the highest standards and we should expect better output.

I like alot of what I saw from the system, but was let down by some poor individual performances and players playing that aren't suited to it. At Home I still expect to see it, Away maybe we only play one 10 and a Varane or Kamara in a deeper role. Hopefully Stephan can see that too and isn't going to keep shoehorning some of the square pegs in.
[Post edited 9 Aug 1:05]
8
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 06:54 - Aug 9 with 1742 viewsGaryBannister86

First reaction for Millwall defeat on 00:55 - Aug 9 by ViewFrom165

Mixed feelings about the performance and learnings from the game for me.

Will start with a few positives. Charles' distribution was top, particularly to the full backs when pushed up high, he got us up the pitch and on the front foot on many occasions. We also progressed the ball well through the lines in midfield before Millwall made some changes and stopped that from happening in the 2nd half. Thought the Defence was good as a unit and individually throughout. Can't decide if it was to our credit or if Millwall just stood off us but felt like we were always in control and got in to the final third with relative ease for most of the game, but that's where the good stuff stopped.

Will start the negatives with Burrell being played out wide. He was so ineffective against Fiorentina I had hoped we wouldn't see it again, and today will hopefully put a swift end to that experiment. I think he's quite a limited Footballer but his main strengths (pace in behind and 6 yard box tap ins) when played to are hugely effective, however if we are to be a possession based 433 team I don't see a role for him in the starting XI. He has no technical ability and even more worryingly didn't see any of his explosivity today when he had the opportunity to use it.

Kone's hold up and back to goal game needs serious work, a few promising moves broke down because of his bad touches and poor link up play, he didn't work the Millwall CB's half as much as Coburn did ours. Smyth tried as he always does but it was one of those games for him where nothing came off, combined with my comments about Burrell it meant there was next to no service for Kone from wide areas. All 3 didn't play well at all and made us look toothless upfront.

Lastly, a very frustrating performance from Chair. We now have some players around him that he needs to learn to trust and not insist on everything going through him. At 28 he still hasn't learnt to take the ball on the half turn/back foot, his first touch still comes backwards and he slowed down the game and let Millwall get back in to shape way too much. He looked slow and heavy, didn't have the pace to buy himself more time when he was clean through, and the final ball for Kone stopped what should have been a certain goal.

Caveat to the negatives were that it was the first competitive game trying that new set up, still some rustiness, it was hot, and Millwall are no pushovers, but I personally think everyone should be held to the highest standards and we should expect better output.

I like alot of what I saw from the system, but was let down by some poor individual performances and players playing that aren't suited to it. At Home I still expect to see it, Away maybe we only play one 10 and a Varane or Kamara in a deeper role. Hopefully Stephan can see that too and isn't going to keep shoehorning some of the square pegs in.
[Post edited 9 Aug 1:05]


I found it hard to work out how good or bad we were, especially not knowing if that was Millwall at full power. We certainly weren't terrible and I liked the look of the back four even if Mbengue had a poor game. Chair just seems rusty to me - surely will only improve. Madsen did well and Vale blew as hot and cold as usual. Hoping that Kone and Burrell will also grow into the season quickly, especially with Burrell being out of position. Thought Lloyd gave us something different (and good) when he came on, which was nice to see.

Real shame for Charles what happened and I only hope it doesn't affect his confidence. What was doubly annoying was that the situation should never have arisen anyway, in our attack right before, Chair overhit a simple chance to play Kone in and then Mbengue did a very ordinary clearance. Argh.

My biggest annoyance was with the selection of penalty takers - with QPR being QPR I really feared our diminutive creatives babying it towards their giant keeper, personally I was advocating a more rumbustious approach of Dunne, Kemper, Edwards before reaching for the midget 10s. I mean, you feared Saito wouldn't even reach the goal really. Once their massive centre back delivered on the first and Chair did the stuttering run up we all knew the way this shootout was going to go. Only we could have a penalty shoot out where our keeper saves twice and we don't even get to the last penalty!

Finally, kudos to the manager and Nourry for picking our strongest XI for the first round of the cup. Absolutely the right thing to do and a given from now on, regardless of this defeat. Now to find that winning mentality from somewhere.
2
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 07:25 - Aug 9 with 1671 viewsBklynRanger

Burrell is out wide to allow Chair to play behind Kone I assume, in that 10 role. I can understand Julien wanting to get all 3 of those on the pitch at once but at some point he may need to make a decision.

You gain a lot from having Chair linking and covering behind Richard, but you also make Burrell far less effective running at a LB as opposed to a lumbering CB, and there are clear pros but also cons to Chair being the link man as covered above.

I think if he is wanting Chair in that role he's going to have to go with either Kone OR Burrell, and start Poku (or Dembele when fit). But I suppose that does highlight the current fitness issue on the right, so it's a tricky one.

If you take Chair out and go back to what was a very promising 2 up front there would be less cover in front of that new Madsen-Vale combo, so you might need to consider Varane or the new bloke beside Nico, possibly with Vale back on the right. I thought Vale played well yesterday but it still had a bit of a preseason feel about in terms of intensity, so there'll be far bigger tests of that ahead.
[Post edited 9 Aug 7:30]
1
First reaction for Millwall defeat on 07:35 - Aug 9 with 1634 viewsBushRanger82

Queen's Park Rangers, putting the TIN, into TINPOT, since 1886, and showing no sign whatsoever of letting up.
-1
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Online Safety Advertising
© FansNetwork 2026