Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 10:06 - May 1 with 1635 viewsSaintNick

At this very moment 45 years ago I would be on a train to London, we were at Wembley by about 11 and after a quick look around we decided to go back a few tube shops for a couple of hours until the gates opened, there weren't many Saints fans around and with thousands of ticketless Man United fans looking to get in by any means it wasn't the safest place to be and I had been to Bradford lol

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 10:27 - May 1 with 1604 viewsdirk_doone

I was in the middle of our end, just behind where a Saints fan battered a Man United fan over the head with a banner. To be honest, I enjoyed the semi-final and the Mick Channon Testimonial more. For me, in those days, Saints' fans were what mattered and if you wanted Saints' support to dominate a ground, the last team you wanted to get drawn against was Man United. Although we certainly made ourselves heard.

At Stamford Bridge, Saints' fans ruled and the atmosphere was brilliant but at Wembley, just about every neutral ticket in the ground seemed to have found its way into the hands of a Man United fan. The atmosphere at the '79 League Cup Final was better.

As I recall, it was a hot sunny weekend. I stayed the night with a Spanish girlfriend who worked in a London hotel and so missed out on the open top bus tour the next day. I celebrated the win with a bunch of foreign hotel workers.

Of course, the result was great.
[Post edited 1 May 2021 10:36]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 11:53 - May 1 with 1555 viewsTimSaint

I was only a nipper back then and it would be a few more years before I went to my first game. So I was at home watching the whole build up on the TV from early morning, right through to the end (the done thing on cup final day). I was really hoping that I would get a glimpse of my Granddad and his brother, somewhere in the crowds.

I remember everyone being so happy we had won - the whole of our street was out and cars were beeping their horns etc.

I was desperate to wait up for my Granddad to return back, as he said he was going to get me a scarf and rosette, but obviously at that age I had no chance and he didn't get home til about 3am :-)

TimSaint

Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 13:39 - May 1 with 1498 viewsA1079

I was 15 years old at the time and neither of my parents had any interest in football and they went shopping as usual on a Saturday, so I watched the game at my Grandparents house with my Uncle's. After the game and we had won it felt like anyone who was Hampshire born and bred were celebrating (clearly that would not have been the case especially in that little corner down the road).
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 16:03 - May 1 with 1460 viewskernow

Napier New Zealand. Had been 3 weeks loading lamb and seafood for the west coast of North America when they decided to set sail for Auckland that Saturday night (12 hours ahead).
I wasn't moving from the TV in the hotel bar.
Missed the ship and had to catch the bus up to Auckland next day. Even turned down the opportunity of one last night of passion with my girlfriend.
Got back on board eventually for tea and tabnabs with skipper. Logged and fined two days pay.
Was it worth it? What do we think!?
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 16:28 - May 1 with 1438 viewsChesham_Saint

On a coach direct to Wembley. Afterwards the car park was like the Wild West. Kicking off everywhere, but we’d won!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 17:24 - May 1 with 1409 viewskingslandstand1

Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 16:03 - May 1 by kernow

Napier New Zealand. Had been 3 weeks loading lamb and seafood for the west coast of North America when they decided to set sail for Auckland that Saturday night (12 hours ahead).
Missed the ship and had to catch the bus up to Auckland next day. Even turned down the opportunity of one last night of passion with my girlfriend.
Got back on board eventually for tea and tabnabs with skipper. Logged and fined two days pay.

You sir deserve man of the day award
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 17:27 - May 1 with 1408 viewsSalisburySaint

Went by car, was 17, and parked away from ground.

it was really worrying getting too and from car, and also waiting outside the ground for gates to open with loads of United fans threatening us and trying to get tickets from us.

No trouble inside ground and once we got back to car we could relax, and stopped off at Pub in Camberley for a celebratory Steak and Chips on way home, unforgettable day.
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 19:33 - May 1 with 1336 viewsBazza

Watched the game on tv in Putney with a mate who was a WHam fan and he got totally pissed ( both ways) when we won because he thought the Saints were a bunch of yokels who didn’t merit a place in the Final instead of his flashy team. To be fair I did take some good money off him.
Login to get fewer ads

Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 20:14 - May 1 with 1311 views1576

Enjoying my 6th birthday party, strangely there were a lot of drunnk adults around?
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 21:25 - May 1 with 1282 viewskernow

Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 17:24 - May 1 by kingslandstand1

You sir deserve man of the day award

Think that award belonged to Bobby Stokes.
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 21:55 - May 1 with 1259 viewsgrumpy

Coached up to Wembley with a very lively lot.
Coach left Wembley very quickly so didn't see all the action in the coach park.
One United fan decided to run along the coach for whatever reason for about 2 miles.
Bridges over the motorway were crowded with well-wishers.
Me and my mates took our wives round town on a pub crawl to beat all pub crawls that night.
All seems like a dream now.
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 07:52 - May 2 with 1156 viewsCity_boy

My father was in the forces and we were based in Germany. BFBS (Forces TV) did't show anything live in those days and it wasn't on German TV. We got highlights a week later, so it was BBC radio for me.
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 19:19 - May 3 with 914 viewsGasGiant

Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 16:03 - May 1 by kernow

Were you with the Blue Star Line?
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 21:15 - May 3 with 878 viewskernow

Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 19:19 - May 3 by GasGiant

Were you with the Blue Star Line?

Guilty
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 21:07 - May 4 with 771 viewsGasGiant

Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 21:15 - May 3 by kernow

Guilty

Did you ever serve under a Captain Daubeny Kernow? He was a friend of the family.
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 21:51 - May 4 with 757 viewskernow

Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 21:07 - May 4 by GasGiant

Did you ever serve under a Captain Daubeny Kernow? He was a friend of the family.

His name is not familiar sir. I served under the following gentlemen:
Captain Easton - Ulster Star.
Captain Young - Buenos Aires Star
Captain Harland - Fremantle Star (1st time)
Captain Atkinson - Auckland Star
Captain Cheshire - Fremantle Star ( 2nd time)
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 09:46 - May 5 with 669 viewsSouthSeaSaint

So many good things to reflect upon not only the game itself but the great feeling afterwards.

A couple of random thoughts, having escaped the random groups of Man Utd sore losers, I managed to get back to the car I came up in with 4 mates somewhere in the backstreets of Wembley.
Got chatting to a lad who was also waiting for his mates to return to the car and remembered him as a fan from Bournemouth who sat next to me at Villa Park in the 3rd Rd replay.
1976 was a great summer and I went camping with my girlfriend at the time down through France with a Saints pennant proudly displayed in the back window of my car.
We were in Biarriz and someone wrote 'Sir Michael de Channon' on the dusty paint work!!
Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 10:18 - May 5 with 664 viewsGasGiant

Where Were You On May 1st 1976 on 09:46 - May 5 by SouthSeaSaint

So many good things to reflect upon not only the game itself but the great feeling afterwards.

A couple of random thoughts, having escaped the random groups of Man Utd sore losers, I managed to get back to the car I came up in with 4 mates somewhere in the backstreets of Wembley.
Got chatting to a lad who was also waiting for his mates to return to the car and remembered him as a fan from Bournemouth who sat next to me at Villa Park in the 3rd Rd replay.
1976 was a great summer and I went camping with my girlfriend at the time down through France with a Saints pennant proudly displayed in the back window of my car.
We were in Biarriz and someone wrote 'Sir Michael de Channon' on the dusty paint work!!

That was indeed the start to a great summer - I don't think anybody around at that time will ever forget the euphoria and the months of beer, blondes and blue skies that followed it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024