Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our fans 17:24 - Apr 3 with 6153 viewsPatfromPoole

Just awful yesterday.

3,000 up there, should have been great. But it really wasn’t.

Surrounded by clowns who had no intention of supporting the team. They were either filming it on their phones (see how many have posted our goal on Twitter) or just slating Leeds and their fans. Most of them would have run a mile if a Leeds fan had dared to breathe on them.

One pillock in particular spent about 10 minutes in the second-half shouting “YORKSHIRE COONTS” non-stop. Probably thought he was hilarious. He would have got a pasting outside the ground shouting that.

Leeds fans showed us yesterday what support is all about. We just sing a couple of songs after we score and that’s about it.

I couldn’t believe how many people travelled all that way and just stood there all afternoon.

A lot of these people probably go to more games than me. Hold my hands up at that one. I don’t know why they bother though.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Our fans on 17:35 - Apr 3 with 2897 viewsBicester_North

Our fans are what put me off going to most games. It’s depressing to be grouped in with so many weird people who don’t seem to have much idea about football but just view it as some sort of day trip and placidly stand there and film or try and have ridiculous bantz all game.

We seem to have 3 or 4 good away followings a season, and often the higher the number the worse it is. Would rather have half the numbers but proper fans going.

England was similar in the Euros, the lower turnouts at Wembley like the Germany match were proper followings but when it’s a sell out you get all the day tripper types.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Our fans on 17:39 - Apr 3 with 2882 viewsJaySaint

The range of songs we have (home or away) is terrible.

Our version of OWTSGMI is awful. Pompey Get battered 4-0 home and Only 1 Marcus Liebherr.

That is it

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Our fans on 17:39 - Apr 3 with 2875 viewsBicester_North

Having said that though we aren’t alone, Leeds and Wolves are the exception with their consistently good support.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Our fans on 17:40 - Apr 3 with 2871 viewsPatfromPoole

Our fans on 17:35 - Apr 3 by Bicester_North

Our fans are what put me off going to most games. It’s depressing to be grouped in with so many weird people who don’t seem to have much idea about football but just view it as some sort of day trip and placidly stand there and film or try and have ridiculous bantz all game.

We seem to have 3 or 4 good away followings a season, and often the higher the number the worse it is. Would rather have half the numbers but proper fans going.

England was similar in the Euros, the lower turnouts at Wembley like the Germany match were proper followings but when it’s a sell out you get all the day tripper types.

Have to agree.

Yesterday made me glad that I don’t have a season ticket and that I didn’t get a Brighton ticket.

Not bothered about Brentford either. Most people seem excited about it being a new ground. Again this is where I struggle to fit in with most of our fans, doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Our fans on 17:44 - Apr 3 with 2849 viewsPatfromPoole

I met This Charming Man (once of this parish but sadly alas no more) outside the ground before the game.

He was in the Leeds section yesterday with friends; same stand as us but to the left. He said after the game he hardly heard our lot all game.

Our fans on 17:57 - Apr 3 with 2811 viewsSaintsforeverj

It was poor yesterday. Some games our away support is good, some it isn't. Poor excuse, but is it because our fans are bored, nothing to play for, no tension, just meaningless games? In high pressured games, our fans do turn up. But yes, the atmosphere at Elland Road was loud and intense from the Leeds fans. We just seem to have our fair share of fair weather fans, but to be fair, as said above, the atmosphere is poor at most grounds in the PL. It was good at Leeds, Wolves, Palace, and Burnley last year. Otherwise it's just silent at most grounds.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2022 17:59]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Our fans on 17:58 - Apr 3 with 2810 viewskingslandstand1

It is embarrassing that we only have one song, other than the 4-0 battering, asked my mother and players names, but do other clubs have that many songs? Utd seem to have a few and the Geordies maybe (though not right now - good to see them getting stuffed, just a shame it's against a team that have taken over OWTS), but where do these new songs come from? There's not exactly a hymn sheet given out on arrival!!

I've only been to 3 or 4 away this season but found that there appeared to be a fair amount of continuous noise, probably morer so that at SMS except when we score and then last 10 mins when looking like winning and OWTS comes from all 4 sides
Our fans on 18:07 - Apr 3 with 2785 viewsPatfromPoole

Our fans on 17:58 - Apr 3 by kingslandstand1

It is embarrassing that we only have one song, other than the 4-0 battering, asked my mother and players names, but do other clubs have that many songs? Utd seem to have a few and the Geordies maybe (though not right now - good to see them getting stuffed, just a shame it's against a team that have taken over OWTS), but where do these new songs come from? There's not exactly a hymn sheet given out on arrival!!

I've only been to 3 or 4 away this season but found that there appeared to be a fair amount of continuous noise, probably morer so that at SMS except when we score and then last 10 mins when looking like winning and OWTS comes from all 4 sides

I don’t think a lack of songs is that big a deal.

A fanbase can be passionate and fervent without having many songs. Just make some noise. It’s not hard.

A lot of our fans are only interested in singing when we are winning though. You can tell Ralph is pissed off at the lack of help from the fans.

Login to get fewer ads

Our fans on 18:17 - Apr 3 with 2753 viewssaintwizzler

Our fans on 17:40 - Apr 3 by PatfromPoole

Have to agree.

Yesterday made me glad that I don’t have a season ticket and that I didn’t get a Brighton ticket.

Not bothered about Brentford either. Most people seem excited about it being a new ground. Again this is where I struggle to fit in with most of our fans, doesn’t bother me in the slightest.

Brentford, a day on the pišs in London.
The game will get in the way.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Our fans on 18:23 - Apr 3 with 2742 viewsPatfromPoole

Our fans on 18:17 - Apr 3 by saintwizzler

Brentford, a day on the pišs in London.
The game will get in the way.

Is all too often the case.

The people I go in pubs with are completely sound. It’s all these other muppets in the ground pissing about on their phones and who think they are comedy geniuses. They just do my head in.

Our fans on 18:31 - Apr 3 with 2724 viewskingslandstand1

Our fans on 18:07 - Apr 3 by PatfromPoole

I don’t think a lack of songs is that big a deal.

A fanbase can be passionate and fervent without having many songs. Just make some noise. It’s not hard.

A lot of our fans are only interested in singing when we are winning though. You can tell Ralph is pissed off at the lack of help from the fans.

Not disagreeing with that about only when we are winning, apart from the opening salva which is normally pretty good, but as I said, my comparatively (to some on here) limited away games are normally pretty good and I like to think that for an lod fart I can be quite vociferous

And why did TCM disappear from these pages? He was also a pretty decent contributor
Our fans on 19:02 - Apr 3 with 2690 viewsA1079

I was there yesterday and I agree, I thought our vocal support was poor and lame. For the most part I did think this year that our vocal support away had been pretty good this season but recently as our season has died into anonymity so has our support. I find our Pompey related songs boring and somewhat sad. Not sure how that gets behind the team.

I am in my 60's now and I am sure our range of songs were wider and more entertaining in the 70's and 80's but may be that is rose coloured tinted glasses that is not wholly true. Nostalgia does weird things to the memory. I recall songs about the Itchen bridge and being from Hampshire but I am not sure many people now would even understand what any of that means. But, it is easy to berate this era's support. I don't want to be that old fuddy duddy who always claims it was better in my day. Life and times move on and it is easy to think it was better years ago when the reality is often different. Recently people knocked people showing their phones with torches on. Yes, it was strange to me, but it isn't to today's youngsters - and why they should not have their day?

All that aside, I enjoyed the game yesterday, but reading on this forum I seem to be in the minority. May be I am easily pleased and my expectations are lower than most.
Our fans on 19:19 - Apr 3 with 2666 viewsPatfromPoole

Our fans on 18:31 - Apr 3 by kingslandstand1

Not disagreeing with that about only when we are winning, apart from the opening salva which is normally pretty good, but as I said, my comparatively (to some on here) limited away games are normally pretty good and I like to think that for an lod fart I can be quite vociferous

And why did TCM disappear from these pages? He was also a pretty decent contributor

It was all a bit sad.

I would love to see TCM back on here.

Our fans on 07:14 - Apr 4 with 2442 viewsTripleNiemi

Sadly Pat i agree. I even got to the point a few years ago when i could have easily chinned one of our lot (young modern breed of pleb).

Still, with us now being in BST at least you didn't have to endure a 'light show'.......
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 7:16]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Our fans on 09:36 - Apr 4 with 2326 viewsfranniesTache

I've been pointing this out all season, our support is utter sh*t at the moment, yes we take numbers but it's so generic and boring, and half the time they make more noise in the concourse than they do in the stand.

Sadly it's not even a Saints thing, it's because a generation of nippers are more interested in being able to put their gurning faces on social media than they are about having some class, style and something unique about them.

One thing i noticed at Leeds was how f*cking weird it was to see one side sing a version of a song, like follow follow follow or pompey get battered, then the other one would pick it up and sing their version.

It was like both sets of fans were going through a song book of fashionable songs which bore no relation to what was going on on the pitch, and it could've been saints/leeds or saints/whoever and the songs would've been exactly the same.

In fact other than marching on together and oh when the saints the songs sung by both sets was pretty much identical.
Our fans on 09:58 - Apr 4 with 2311 viewsdirk_doone

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Our fans on 10:16 - Apr 4 with 2287 viewsChesham_Saint

Our fans on 09:58 - Apr 4 by dirk_doone

Bloody hell! Check out the clogs on the fella on the right. Does he work in t’gunpowder store at t’Royal Armoury or summat?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Our fans on 10:19 - Apr 4 with 2286 viewsTripleNiemi

Our fans on 09:58 - Apr 4 by dirk_doone

....the planet is fcuked....

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Our fans on 10:21 - Apr 4 with 2280 viewsgrumpy

Our fans on 09:36 - Apr 4 by franniesTache

I've been pointing this out all season, our support is utter sh*t at the moment, yes we take numbers but it's so generic and boring, and half the time they make more noise in the concourse than they do in the stand.

Sadly it's not even a Saints thing, it's because a generation of nippers are more interested in being able to put their gurning faces on social media than they are about having some class, style and something unique about them.

One thing i noticed at Leeds was how f*cking weird it was to see one side sing a version of a song, like follow follow follow or pompey get battered, then the other one would pick it up and sing their version.

It was like both sets of fans were going through a song book of fashionable songs which bore no relation to what was going on on the pitch, and it could've been saints/leeds or saints/whoever and the songs would've been exactly the same.

In fact other than marching on together and oh when the saints the songs sung by both sets was pretty much identical.

The cost of Premiership football has stopped a lot of seasoned fans going.
The culture of bringing your phone to games and playing with it during the game is just sad.
The nature of going to football games started to change when we went to all seater stadiums(I know we had to) together with the cost to cover expenses like players wages etc.
Now we have VAR when we don't even know if we have scored a goal.
Gone are the days we could berate a Referee, he has technology now on his side.
Confrontation between rival fans was wrong when violence was involved we know but now we just have fans venting their frustrations by singing daft songs at each other.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 10:35]
Our fans on 10:25 - Apr 4 with 2274 viewssaints__fan__73

The Premier League today, which is a made for foreign TV sport, is nothing like 'football' in the 70s and 80s so why pretend it is?

What right do some fans have to judge others as 'worse' for how they behave at football grounds? If some just want to pay their money and go along and watch a game of football, but without having the desire to sing songs, so what?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Our fans on 10:31 - Apr 4 with 2272 viewsPatfromPoole

Our fans on 10:25 - Apr 4 by saints__fan__73

The Premier League today, which is a made for foreign TV sport, is nothing like 'football' in the 70s and 80s so why pretend it is?

What right do some fans have to judge others as 'worse' for how they behave at football grounds? If some just want to pay their money and go along and watch a game of football, but without having the desire to sing songs, so what?

Oh bore off, you dribbling mess.

Our fans on 10:34 - Apr 4 with 2268 viewssaintwizzler

Our fans on 10:31 - Apr 4 by PatfromPoole

Lolz
Get him on that ignore list Pat!

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Our fans on 10:54 - Apr 4 with 2247 viewssaints__fan__73

Our fans on 10:31 - Apr 4 by PatfromPoole

'bore off'? How old are you? 12?

Our fans on 11:01 - Apr 4 with 2242 viewsfranniesTache

Our fans on 10:25 - Apr 4 by saints__fan__73

i'm not sure people are judging they just want better than what we have now, it's all so boring and cliched, football for most of us is a release from the week, it's about having fun with your mates and a laugh.

There's a lot of us who still take pride in football, we want Southampton to be seen in it's best light, and our fans our a big part of that.

As things stand right now we're just another nondescript premier league "bantz" side, doing the same thing as everyone else, with no originality, no class and very little to make you proud.

Its not much to ask for more is it? And it's not new either, I can remember both the Ugly and On The March calling out our fans for being sh*t in the past, and we deserved it back then the same as we do now.
Our fans on 11:23 - Apr 4 with 2199 viewssaints__fan__73

The more I would want is more wins and a higher league placing and maybe getting in to Europe.

I couldn't give two f'ks if we got that with silent fans like Arsenal or a load of jumping up and down mongs like Palace.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024