Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing 12:37 - Feb 20 with 57129 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just hope it works out with him.
Couldn't bear to see a legend get ripped apart by our fans.

Bare bones.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:40 - Feb 21 with 2649 viewsRs_Holy

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 21:23 - Feb 20 by OakR

In a world of doom anf gloom, people like Gareth Ainsworth just make you feel better.

We all need to feel better.

That's my analytics.

OakR sums it up perfectly for me... He put a smile on everyones faces when he played, he always gave 100% in a hooped shirt, and was an integral part of the team that won promotion at Hillsborough.... HAPPY, HAPPY DAYS!
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 8:42]
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:44 - Feb 21 with 2584 viewsjohnhoop

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:34 - Feb 21 by BrianMcCarthy

That never occurred to me, but you're right that it's a real possibility.

Let's face it - Warbs, Beale, 442 Critchley, now Ainsworth...there's no plan here.

I think the only plan in the building now is survival.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:45 - Feb 21 with 2577 viewsessextaxiboy

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:40 - Feb 21 by Rs_Holy

OakR sums it up perfectly for me... He put a smile on everyones faces when he played, he always gave 100% in a hooped shirt, and was an integral part of the team that won promotion at Hillsborough.... HAPPY, HAPPY DAYS!
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 8:42]

Thats the reaction the board are hoping for (and I share it ) their seats were getting a bit warm and uncomfortable so they play the appeasement card.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:45 - Feb 21 with 2577 viewsAntti_Heinola

Let's face it - Warbs, Beale, 442 Critchley, now Ainsworth...there's no plan here.

I think the Warbs-Beale-Critchley moves all made sense, Brian. Vritchley didn't start at 4-4-2, but when he wasn't getting a result, like his early days at Blackpool, he reverted to that almost in desperation. Worked there (in league one), it did not work here.

Gaz is a huge departure from that. Personal opinion: this will end in tears, and that's coming from someone who's been saying for a few weeks 'I'd have Gaz now'. I think it's a mess. I think Gaz can pick us up, but further down the line, short term and long term, I can only see one direction for this club, and it ain't up.

Bare bones.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:48 - Feb 21 with 2532 viewsAd99

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:30 - Feb 21 by GaryBannister86

"His assistants were hopeless too".

I'm sure they were judging by what happened on the pitch, but it does make me laugh when we as fans judge coaches, assistants, any support staff. I mean we really have no idea do we? Bile's set piece coach was decreed as useless rather than Bile himself. Eustace was either the brains behind Warburton or a yes man depending on your views of Warbs.

Do we ever really know?

Great post, and the reason why 95% of what you read is just a waste of time. Hardly any of us knows what it is like behind the scenes. When I first saw the Critchley news I assumed it was also for a factor that we don't know about (yes, the results were damming).

If the club was in a positive/coherent state at the training ground every day then the people involved in QPR FC know that momentum on the pitch will eventually swing. So it must have been something deeper. Maybe NC just didn't connect with the players. Not every managerial appointment is a good move despite the positivity of a reputation or a presentation.

I believe the Ainsworth appointment would be a good one. Maybe he feels he has to move on from Wycombe after such a long time and his style of play and success there is obviously down to maximising his resources and the players to hand.

If it goes ahead then his immediate brief is to keep the club in the division, so expect the kind of football to grind out necessary results.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:54 - Feb 21 with 2471 viewseastside_r

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:30 - Feb 21 by GaryBannister86

I'm sure they were judging by what happened on the pitch, but it does make me laugh when we as fans judge coaches, assistants, any support staff. I mean we really have no idea do we? Bile's set piece coach was decreed as useless rather than Bile himself. Eustace was either the brains behind Warburton or a yes man depending on your views of Warbs.

Do we ever really know?

Absolutely, yet apparently many posters are experts on academies and youth set-up.

Everyone seems to know what exactly a Director of Football does (or should be doing) even though this is a role relatively new to English football and until the current incumbent, completely new to QPR.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 8:57]
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:59 - Feb 21 with 2412 viewsstevec

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:45 - Feb 21 by Antti_Heinola

I think the Warbs-Beale-Critchley moves all made sense, Brian. Vritchley didn't start at 4-4-2, but when he wasn't getting a result, like his early days at Blackpool, he reverted to that almost in desperation. Worked there (in league one), it did not work here.

Gaz is a huge departure from that. Personal opinion: this will end in tears, and that's coming from someone who's been saying for a few weeks 'I'd have Gaz now'. I think it's a mess. I think Gaz can pick us up, but further down the line, short term and long term, I can only see one direction for this club, and it ain't up.

Ainsworth’s such a decent bloke, I’m sort of hoping he turns us down.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:12 - Feb 21 with 2280 viewsdaveB

Warbs, Beale, Critchley all seemed along the same lines to me, development coaches able to improve players so we can sell on with mixed results. Ainsworth is a big diversion, similar to when Holloway came in, feels like a panic move by the owners to me, they have always pushed for Ainsworth and les has gone a different route. It may well end up working who knows anymore
Login to get fewer ads

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:17 - Feb 21 with 2239 viewsqpr1976

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 22:15 - Feb 20 by KerryE

A few months ago the club policy/strategy was no loan players.
That changed with Beale for some yet to be explained reason.

I don't think we should be teaching prem league youngsters how to play. The last exceptional loan player we had was Kyle Walker. He played so well, Spurs cut short his loan and sent him to Villa on loan instead. At the time I thought that might of scuppered our promotion.

And Taarabt ! Who was exceptional enough for us to buy him and he helped us get promoted. So ‘some’ loans with a view to buy, can work.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:21 - Feb 21 with 2203 viewstoboboly

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:12 - Feb 21 by daveB

Warbs, Beale, Critchley all seemed along the same lines to me, development coaches able to improve players so we can sell on with mixed results. Ainsworth is a big diversion, similar to when Holloway came in, feels like a panic move by the owners to me, they have always pushed for Ainsworth and les has gone a different route. It may well end up working who knows anymore

In my head, for it to work we need to maybe walk away from 'nice academy boys' like JCS. We need people willing to muck in, people who just want to play no matter what. They might not have x years academy background but they know their way around a pitch.

Doesn't mean they aren't talented but maybe means they don't wear gloves when it is 15 degrees and are happy to put their body on the line when it needs to be done.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:26 - Feb 21 with 2122 viewsJPC

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:12 - Feb 21 by daveB

Agreed - and I think that one of the flaws in the plan, which seemed to cause the issues with Warburton in particular, was that there wasn’t a flow of young players coming through to develop - for all the reasons that have been discussed about the Academy etc.
While at times the style of football was really good and in keeping with why a lot of us came to support the team, it was also incredibly fragile.
Perhaps there’s a realisation that the plan needs amending?
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:28 - Feb 21 with 2076 viewsToast_R

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:17 - Feb 21 by qpr1976

And Taarabt ! Who was exceptional enough for us to buy him and he helped us get promoted. So ‘some’ loans with a view to buy, can work.

That was more Warnock pushing for Taarabt though wasn't' it?
He saw that the boy was gifted and was head and shoulders above anything in that division if only he could get him focused and build a team around him. So he brings is players that he knows will run through walls for him and asks them to go with his idea. And boy did he pull it off.

No way any other manager would have been able to do it IMO.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:33 - Feb 21 with 1990 viewsRs_Holy

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:26 - Feb 21 by JPC

Agreed - and I think that one of the flaws in the plan, which seemed to cause the issues with Warburton in particular, was that there wasn’t a flow of young players coming through to develop - for all the reasons that have been discussed about the Academy etc.
While at times the style of football was really good and in keeping with why a lot of us came to support the team, it was also incredibly fragile.
Perhaps there’s a realisation that the plan needs amending?

Yep, maybe the conclusion is that the current approach simply has not worked?.... For all the talk of developing young players and selling them on we only have Eberechi Eze as 'reward' for this approach. Countless young players given very long contracts, loaned out to lower league clubs and then eventually let go when it is obvious they cannot cut in in League 2. It is really depressing because this is the 'break even' model which should mean the club does not need rich owners to keep dipping in their pockets every month. Might be time for a total reset?
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:44 - Feb 21 with 1870 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:21 - Feb 21 by toboboly

In my head, for it to work we need to maybe walk away from 'nice academy boys' like JCS. We need people willing to muck in, people who just want to play no matter what. They might not have x years academy background but they know their way around a pitch.

Doesn't mean they aren't talented but maybe means they don't wear gloves when it is 15 degrees and are happy to put their body on the line when it needs to be done.

There’s always a lot of talk like this: ‘lower league signings get you a lower league team’; ‘young and hungry not old and jaded’; ‘academy players are all precious flowers’.

These are all incredibly unhelpful generalisations. Lots of players from lower leagues end up as successes in higher leagues; young signings can be good, but older players, even without sell on value, can help mould a team; loads of academy players become excellent professionals.

The truth is we cannot afford to ignore ANY of these routes. It HAS to be case by case and based on what the team needs at any one time.

Bare bones.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:46 - Feb 21 with 1846 viewsrobith

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:44 - Feb 21 by Antti_Heinola

There’s always a lot of talk like this: ‘lower league signings get you a lower league team’; ‘young and hungry not old and jaded’; ‘academy players are all precious flowers’.

These are all incredibly unhelpful generalisations. Lots of players from lower leagues end up as successes in higher leagues; young signings can be good, but older players, even without sell on value, can help mould a team; loads of academy players become excellent professionals.

The truth is we cannot afford to ignore ANY of these routes. It HAS to be case by case and based on what the team needs at any one time.

Everything is about balance. You want some young developing players with higher ceilings than where they are, some cloggers who'll give everything and a couple of old bastards to boss them around
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:51 - Feb 21 with 1763 viewsR_from_afar

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 08:32 - Feb 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks for that, 1JD.

Diesn't make me any happier, but, like you, I'll get behind him.

Brian, who knows how we will play if he comes to QPR, but in their games this year, Wycombe are averaging two goals per game. The have won six in seven and have only conceded three goals.

Man, I hope I haven’t just jinxed Gareth

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:52 - Feb 21 with 1742 viewsSonofpugwash

Anything to stop us sliding down like spit on a window.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:52 - Feb 21 with 1740 viewsNortholt_Rs

Do we ever really know?

Ok they are all top professionals and football geniuses. 1 win in 12 games and a club record 8% win rate suggests they were hopeless for us.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:53 - Feb 21 with 1727 viewstoboboly

I'm not sure that is what I am saying - I am saying, like Robith below your post, that I believe we need people that want to be here. It needs to be a step up for them, whether they are a non-league/lower league clobberer or a kid from an academy doesn't matter.

Whatever route they are taking they need to be committed and they need to give everything, not Goss, not JCS, not Travelman sorts.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:56 - Feb 21 with 1698 viewsessextaxiboy

I was going to post about this , we need to scout the lower leagues . Lots of big powerful guys like Armstrong playing down there , better fitness , coaching , polish them up best we can and assess . Ian Wright , Stuart Pearce and Les himself all from lower down the tiers.
We may make some money along the way .
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:56 - Feb 21 with 1696 viewsdaveB

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:46 - Feb 21 by robith

Everything is about balance. You want some young developing players with higher ceilings than where they are, some cloggers who'll give everything and a couple of old bastards to boss them around

exactly this, we seem to go too far either one way or the other.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:00 - Feb 21 with 1655 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:51 - Feb 21 by R_from_afar

Brian, who knows how we will play if he comes to QPR, but in their games this year, Wycombe are averaging two goals per game. The have won six in seven and have only conceded three goals.

Man, I hope I haven’t just jinxed Gareth

I'm holding out hope for that, too. Or trying very hard to.

But, a few thoughts won't go away:

1) If Ainsworth wanted to play attractive football, does he know how to coach it?
2) Can anyone change footballing philosophies after ten years? Could Warburton?
3) Is it really harder to play attractive football on a Wycombe budget than long ball, and
4) If the answer to 3) is 'yes', then will he arrive at Loftus Road to a huge chest of gold and gleefully announce that at last, at last, he can now afford to play the attractive football his heart has always desired?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:07 - Feb 21 with 1561 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:52 - Feb 21 by Northolt_Rs

Ok they are all top professionals and football geniuses. 1 win in 12 games and a club record 8% win rate suggests they were hopeless for us.

Mate, things are not black and white! Just because someone gives a different viewpoint, doesn't mean they are at the far end of the spectrum to you. Things are more nuanced.

Bare bones.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:09 - Feb 21 with 1530 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 09:46 - Feb 21 by robith

Spot on. This team is crying out for a couple of old bastards for sure.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:10 - Feb 21 with 1509 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:09 - Feb 21 by Padulas_Shampoo

Spot on. This team is crying out for a couple of old bastards for sure.

"Old bastards", did you say????

Well, I still have some boots somewhere...who's with me?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024