Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing 12:37 - Feb 20 with 57139 viewsAntti_Heinola

Just hope it works out with him.
Couldn't bear to see a legend get ripped apart by our fans.

Bare bones.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:13 - Feb 21 with 3882 viewsRangersw12

All this talk of attractive football is overstated. We played fantastic football at times under Warburton and PBBC yet people still whinged

End of the day most people just care if win or not and if Ainsworth can get this set of players putting in 100% and winning football matches again people will be happy

I ignore the XG virgins and analytic accounts (who were wnking over Tim saying how great he is before he signed) and just looking forward to watching a team led by a manger who gets my club and loves it
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:14 - Feb 21 with 3880 viewsrobith

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:00 - Feb 21 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm holding out hope for that, too. Or trying very hard to.

But, a few thoughts won't go away:

1) If Ainsworth wanted to play attractive football, does he know how to coach it?
2) Can anyone change footballing philosophies after ten years? Could Warburton?
3) Is it really harder to play attractive football on a Wycombe budget than long ball, and
4) If the answer to 3) is 'yes', then will he arrive at Loftus Road to a huge chest of gold and gleefully announce that at last, at last, he can now afford to play the attractive football his heart has always desired?

I guess it depends on your definition of attractive Brian - doesn't necessarily mean possession based as we've shown that can be as negative as anything hoofball based. Whilst I'm very nervous, I think Gaz will make us a bit more direct and urgent which we could do with really
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:15 - Feb 21 with 3861 viewstoboboly

1) If Ainsworth wanted to play attractive football, does he know how to coach it?
3) Is it really harder to play attractive football on a Wycombe budget than long ball, and
4) If the answer to 3) is 'yes', then will he arrive at Loftus Road to a huge chest of gold and gleefully announce that at last, at last, he can now afford to play the attractive football his heart has always desired?

But we haven't actually seen attractive football very much over the last 15 odd years. A brief spell under Beale, half seasons from Warburton, a quick spell under Magilton. Yet 'dinosaur' Warnock with Hill and Derry produced one of the best watches in forever.

The football under McLaren, a lot of the sideways passing under Warburton, Critchley, a number of the Beale games with passing amongst the back four just hasn't been worth watching.

Ainsworth isn't Pulis but I would probably take Pulis with goals over watching our back four/five pissing around with it for 90 minutes. It would also be good to see us not concede from every set play.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:16 - Feb 21 with 3834 viewsdaveB

style of play wise it's not going to be Guardiola style but also don't think it will be as bad as John beck and co in the 80's. Would expect it to be similar to Holloway, direct strong on set pieces and get flair players on the ball in the final third.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:18 - Feb 21 with 3789 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:15 - Feb 21 by toboboly

But we haven't actually seen attractive football very much over the last 15 odd years. A brief spell under Beale, half seasons from Warburton, a quick spell under Magilton. Yet 'dinosaur' Warnock with Hill and Derry produced one of the best watches in forever.

The football under McLaren, a lot of the sideways passing under Warburton, Critchley, a number of the Beale games with passing amongst the back four just hasn't been worth watching.

Ainsworth isn't Pulis but I would probably take Pulis with goals over watching our back four/five pissing around with it for 90 minutes. It would also be good to see us not concede from every set play.

Championship season was superb, attractive football. I can't believe some people call it direct. We ahd Heidar as an outlet, but mainly we played through Ale and Adel.

Edit: it was direct as in attacking, but we did not play any hoof ball.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 10:19]

Bare bones.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:21 - Feb 21 with 3731 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:14 - Feb 21 by robith

I guess it depends on your definition of attractive Brian - doesn't necessarily mean possession based as we've shown that can be as negative as anything hoofball based. Whilst I'm very nervous, I think Gaz will make us a bit more direct and urgent which we could do with really

Good answer, and also by toboboly and W12.

It really does depend on individual taste, as all three of you say.But the Rangers crowd have shown down the decades that it isn't just about the results with us. We have an identity and a set of beliefs that have worth to us, and while there should always be flexibility there also has to be a core that can't be compromised regardless of results.

After all, if your beliefs cost you nothing, you have to question their value.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:26 - Feb 21 with 3687 viewsslmrstid

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:18 - Feb 21 by Antti_Heinola

Championship season was superb, attractive football. I can't believe some people call it direct. We ahd Heidar as an outlet, but mainly we played through Ale and Adel.

You are right Antti, but we did have a fundamental toughness to us that saw no messing around at the back and no repeated passing along the back four which bores everyone to death.

As Kaspars Gorkks has said in the past (ah what a centre back...), he was forbidden by Warnock to take more than two touches in his own half.

Ultimately as fans the most attractive football is winning football. I take no joy out of watching us play "lovely" stuff and still losing.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:28 - Feb 21 with 3661 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

What is 'attractive' football? Personally I'm attracted to QPR more when they're semi consistently scoring more goals than the other team.

I don't believe Ainsworth will throw out every fair player. He'll try to get the balance right.

Some of the incredibly slow, deliberate short passing football we played under Warburton and the Snake I'd class more as frustrating than attractive. Constantly letting teams get into a defensive shape, slowing the ball down, dominating possession leaving 60 yards of space behind you for minutes at a time just waiting to be counter attacked to death... Not exactly Scarlett Johansen is it? That Nakhi Wells goal at home to Bristol City last year - horrible feeling leaving that game. Just horrible.
Login to get fewer ads

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:28 - Feb 21 with 3648 viewshubble

There is no magic formula that will get you promoted. If you look at the teams who have succeeded in getting out of this division over the last 10 years it's a real mixed bag. Sure, money plays a big part, but even then it's no guarantee, look at Derby. Then look at teams like Blackpool. Are they outliers? Maybe, maybe not. Clearly all sorts of things have to combine to make it happen and luck plays a part. Managers, of course, are probably the biggest factor in the equation, but even they vary incredibly in style and approach: Dyche, Howe, Wilder, Silva, Warnock, Holloway.... etc. etc.

Whilst I think on paper the approach our DOF has taken in recent years has made sense, it hasn't worked, has it? So for this reason alone, I don't see why GA is any worse or any better than Warburton or Beale or Critchley. Yet for me, he brings the factor that really does make a difference; it's the same thing that Warnock and Holloway had, IMO (and Beale, although we didn't get to see much of it). What it is? It's more than just personality, but that's part of it. I've long wanted GA to be our manager, so I'm probably biased, and I think it's far from the ideal time for him to take up the reins, AND I think we have systemic problems with the way our club is run that are not being addressed by simply papering over the cracks, BUT I'm still excited by this (if he comes). Way, way more excited than I was by Critchley. So let's give him a chance. You never know.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:35 - Feb 21 with 3543 viewstoboboly

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:18 - Feb 21 by Antti_Heinola

It was less me saying direct and more pointing out that none of us would have thought a team led by Warnock with players like Derry and Hill would have produced the best season for many years.

Basically saying that we shouldn't jump to conclusions and we shouldn't fear not playing tippy tappy round the back five as that has been worse to watch than Pulis murder ball.

edit: we all used to take the piss out of Swansea for having 500 successful passes in a game but never getting beyond the half way line. We would then batter them 4-0 with 40% possession. I don't want to watch that and I currently don't want to watch us.
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 10:44]

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:41 - Feb 21 with 3467 viewsPhildo

I can see all the well reasoned concerns set out above and it does look to me like the board have overreached the DOF here. But....

Having Gareth in the dugout is going to be a bit of fun. I personally need it as HQ has turned into a waiting room at the undertakers.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:48 - Feb 21 with 3372 viewsozexile

I'm attracted to 3 points, beating local rivals and cup runs. Don't really care how we achieve it anymore.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:49 - Feb 21 with 3363 viewsPadulas_Shampoo

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:48 - Feb 21 by ozexile

I'm attracted to 3 points, beating local rivals and cup runs. Don't really care how we achieve it anymore.

Blimey you must be verging on impotent if that's what gets you going and you follow QPR.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 11:00 - Feb 21 with 3221 viewsozexile

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:49 - Feb 21 by Padulas_Shampoo

Blimey you must be verging on impotent if that's what gets you going and you follow QPR.

I'm also attracted to Zoe Kravitz but that aint happening either.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 11:01 - Feb 21 with 3218 viewsGaryBannister86

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 10:07 - Feb 21 by Antti_Heinola

Mate, things are not black and white! Just because someone gives a different viewpoint, doesn't mean they are at the far end of the spectrum to you. Things are more nuanced.

Well quite. If you read my post I wasn't necessarily disagreeing. My point is that we actually have no idea. It could be the NC was utter rubbish and one of the coaches was a total genius but he didn't get the final say. Possible, no?

I totally agree that all the visual evidence on the pitch suggests otherwise.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 11:05 - Feb 21 with 3143 viewseastside_r

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 11:01 - Feb 21 by GaryBannister86

Well quite. If you read my post I wasn't necessarily disagreeing. My point is that we actually have no idea. It could be the NC was utter rubbish and one of the coaches was a total genius but he didn't get the final say. Possible, no?

I totally agree that all the visual evidence on the pitch suggests otherwise.

Sorry. Meant to up vote that. Fat fingers!
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 11:15 - Feb 21 with 2986 viewsDieByYourSide

Ditch the leather jacket.

Poll: And it's hi ho

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 11:21 - Feb 21 with 2932 viewsPhildo

also if we cant have round the pole because of the condition of the pitch those snakeskin boots are going to cause havoc.....
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 11:22 - Feb 21 with 2915 viewstoboboly

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 11:15 - Feb 21 by DieByYourSide

Really?

I couldn't care less what he wears or whether he prefers red sauce or brown sauce on his breakfast. What matters is the success of this club, lets not worry about things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 11:50 - Feb 21 with 2637 viewsSuperhoop83

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 11:22 - Feb 21 by toboboly

Really?

I couldn't care less what he wears or whether he prefers red sauce or brown sauce on his breakfast. What matters is the success of this club, lets not worry about things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Suffering since 1978.

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:33 - Feb 21 with 2303 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Speed, dribbling, one-twos, heading lovely.
Barcelona in the 2000s two dimensional, very tedious but brilliant. For me hard to watch. Tika taka and playing it across the back boring.
But generally speaking it is how quickly and well football is played that excites.
So Ainsworth does not bother me. How the team accept and adapt is again the main thing.
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:43 - Feb 21 with 2166 viewsTheChef

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 11:15 - Feb 21 by DieByYourSide

Hair colour expenses could still be an issue though.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 12:43 - Feb 21 with 2163 viewsthemodfather

Let’s not worry too much about attractive football let’s win a few games get to 50pts so we can plan our European takeover next season ! Staying up by any means is top of the list if it can be done with. Jam on top wahey
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:18 - Feb 21 with 1889 viewsterryb

I got the impression yesterday that this was meant to be a done deal, yet there has been no confirmation of Gareth being appointed.

Perhaps the negoiations are taking longer/are harder than expected, but surely they need to be concluded asap so that both clubs can start organising for the weekend.

Or is there the possibility that he will turn us down? What would the club do if that was the case?
Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:22 - Feb 21 with 1836 viewsRangersw12

Sky reporting we're in talks with Wild Thing on 13:18 - Feb 21 by terryb

I got the impression yesterday that this was meant to be a done deal, yet there has been no confirmation of Gareth being appointed.

Perhaps the negoiations are taking longer/are harder than expected, but surely they need to be concluded asap so that both clubs can start organising for the weekend.

Or is there the possibility that he will turn us down? What would the club do if that was the case?

He hasn't taken Wycombe training and apprently will be announced today
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024