Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Places I miss from Southampton's past 20:41 - Nov 1 with 5297 viewsgrumpy

The Dell before seating.
The Top Rank
The Pier
The Ice Rink
The High Street before the Shopping Malls
The Lido
The Central Baths as it was when it was first built.
The Flour Mill Building
Henrys record shop
Edwin Jones
The Bus Stations
The Checkpoint Cafe
So much Character gone.
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 21:41 - Nov 1 with 4138 viewsSaintNick

You are right, i remember all those places, but from looking at pictures from before WW2, the town had a lot more character before it was flattened by the Luftwaffe.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 07:03 - Nov 2 with 3992 viewskernow

The Ocean Terminal and Marchwood power station were iconic landmarks.
Woolston floating bridge, Vosper Thornycroft shipyard, Pirelli cable factory and the Terminus station were all juicy targets.
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 09:32 - Nov 2 with 3900 viewsSonicBoom

I only miss the pubs....
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 09:51 - Nov 2 with 3889 viewssaint901

I remember the swimming pools and a terrifying 10m high diving platform that I eventually was shamed into jumping from.

Was there also a "Top Rank" club?

There was a large ballroom down near where Ocean Village is now that was used for ballroom competitions and exams. I was there a few times as a teenager.

My school used to arrange trips to the Ice Rink as well. Never happen these days with H&S fanatics and parents willing to sue if little Tarquin bruises his backside on the ice.

The Milton Rd end was great. I also recall walking around the whole of the terraces during some minor cup game and seeing some older chap give a kid (not his) a clip around the ear for swearing.
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 09:56 - Nov 2 with 3887 viewsSaintNick

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 09:51 - Nov 2 by saint901

I remember the swimming pools and a terrifying 10m high diving platform that I eventually was shamed into jumping from.

There was a large ballroom down near where Ocean Village is now that was used for ballroom competitions and exams. I was there a few times as a teenager.

My school used to arrange trips to the Ice Rink as well. Never happen these days with H&S fanatics and parents willing to sue if little Tarquin bruises his backside on the ice.

The Milton Rd end was great. I also recall walking around the whole of the terraces during some minor cup game and seeing some older chap give a kid (not his) a clip around the ear for swearing.

I think the large ballroom might have been the BTC Club on Canute road, that had a large function room upstairs

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 10:11 - Nov 2 with 3873 viewsgrumpy

'I remember the swimming pools and a terrifying 10m high diving platform that I eventually was shamed into jumping from'

You could see the results of that from the windows they had below.
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 10:24 - Nov 2 with 3863 viewsgrumpy

There was what was called the 'Old Baths'as well as the Central(which we called The New Bathes in those days) It was terrifying,Victorian building which when we were kids you learnt to swim at.
There was an instructor,a woman in a white coat who had a pole,she would walk besides you when you were doing your braides so you could grab it when you found yourself in trouble and she would hook you out.
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 15:30 - Nov 2 with 3758 viewskingslandstand1

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 10:24 - Nov 2 by grumpy

There was what was called the 'Old Baths'as well as the Central(which we called The New Bathes in those days) It was terrifying,Victorian building which when we were kids you learnt to swim at.
There was an instructor,a woman in a white coat who had a pole,she would walk besides you when you were doing your braides so you could grab it when you found yourself in trouble and she would hook you out.

I remember having to jump/dive in at the deep (6' not the 16'6" bit) to retrieve this plastic or something black brick as part of one "badge" we could get as well as swimming a length in your pyjamas

To teach us to swim I'm sure they used to just chuck/push us in and see how we got on with that long stick there just in case we looked as if we couldn't make it ...........

The best thing about the "new" baths that became Centre 2000 in the early 80's I believe was the windows in the entrance reception and watch the legs dangling and stuff like that

I managed to jump off the "3rd" board but wouldn't even think about the 4th or 5th boards
Login to get fewer ads

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 18:47 - Nov 2 with 3686 viewsSouthSeaSaint

The Adam & Eve Club.
Joined as a member in 1966 and the music, fashion and number of good looking girls (and experiences) formulated my life from thereafter.
Still have friendships from these days now, many of whom, from the male persuasion, remain Saints fans since those days.
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 20:18 - Nov 2 with 3629 viewsNYC_Saint

10m is no joke, very brave jumping off of that...
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 20:19 - Nov 2 with 3629 viewsgartan

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 18:47 - Nov 2 by SouthSeaSaint

The Adam & Eve Club.
Joined as a member in 1966 and the music, fashion and number of good looking girls (and experiences) formulated my life from thereafter.
Still have friendships from these days now, many of whom, from the male persuasion, remain Saints fans since those days.

My dad used to go there in the 60’s great club by all accounts

Poll: Are we the most bed wetting moaning fans in the prem?

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 20:47 - Nov 2 with 3592 viewsgrumpy

The Checkpoint Cafe in its early days was like scene from A Clockwork Orange.
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 20:51 - Nov 2 with 3590 viewsfelly1

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 15:30 - Nov 2 by kingslandstand1

I remember having to jump/dive in at the deep (6' not the 16'6" bit) to retrieve this plastic or something black brick as part of one "badge" we could get as well as swimming a length in your pyjamas

To teach us to swim I'm sure they used to just chuck/push us in and see how we got on with that long stick there just in case we looked as if we couldn't make it ...........

The best thing about the "new" baths that became Centre 2000 in the early 80's I believe was the windows in the entrance reception and watch the legs dangling and stuff like that

I managed to jump off the "3rd" board but wouldn't even think about the 4th or 5th boards

Yeah I only ever dared to jump off the 3rd board.
Terrifying for a 12 year looking down at the water!!
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 22:37 - Nov 2 with 3531 views1teeminants

The Zoo
The coffee shop near the cenotaph not to go in just the aroma
The Spa Tavern
Plested pie shop
The bus station
The Top Rank
Fridays
Barberellas nightclub
Woolworths
Tyrell and Green
The Dell
The County cricket ground
Toomers sports shop
The odeon cinema
The old echo clock
The Eagle pub

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 00:15 - Nov 3 with 3494 viewsSouthamptonfan

Great Thread - Miss the Dell of course and love reminiscing with some of the pictures below.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/19309814.photos-last-floodlit-match-saints-form

Southampton has also changed a lot. This clip includes many great animations of how Southampton has changed.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2023 0:17]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 09:04 - Nov 3 with 3368 viewsbendybob

All these places. Plus match day at the Dell followed by a few scoops in town, on to Simons Wine Bar, finish off next door in Fridays
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 09:32 - Nov 3 with 3353 viewsSalisburySaint

County Ground, Norhlands Rd

In the old days for early and end of season games you could go to cricket have a few beers , nip out for game and go back to cricket after the match, plus much easier to get to than Ageas Bowl.

Plested pie shop at the old bus station

Futzhuigh pub Milton Road, my regular haunt before games at Dell, loads of London Saints used to pop out at half time from seats under east stand, go down the Fitzs for half time pint and back in ground for second half.
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 11:36 - Nov 3 with 3311 viewssaints__fan__73

The Premier League?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 12:29 - Nov 3 with 3276 viewsarfurdent

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 11:36 - Nov 3 by saints__fan__73

The Premier League?

definitely not!!!!

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 12:33 - Nov 3 with 3271 viewsarfurdent

How about The Atherley Fleapit Picturehouse

Forget bedbugs the fleas in that place were feral. They would dance on the back of the seats to the film score

They seemed to like the seats in the backrow, wonder why?

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 15:08 - Nov 3 with 3218 viewskernow

Pizza Pan in Bedford Place was amazing when it first opened in the late sixties, a real novelty and delicious when washed down with a bottle of Chianti.
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 15:27 - Nov 3 with 3200 viewsarfurdent

Venus Steak House in Bedford Place

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 16:06 - Nov 3 with 3186 viewsGRIM

You forgot :-
a) Simons Wine Bar
b) The Adam & Eve .
Never forgetting Mike's Burger van opposite Civic Ctr.
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 16:11 - Nov 3 with 3183 viewsGRIM

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 16:06 - Nov 3 by GRIM

You forgot :-
a) Simons Wine Bar
b) The Adam & Eve .
Never forgetting Mike's Burger van opposite Civic Ctr.

And Southampton Speedway Stadium.
Oooh, I miss that big time.
Have to go all the way to Poole now.
I spent hours walking around The Top rank Ice Rink but never once went on the ice.
Places I miss from Southampton's past on 16:34 - Nov 3 with 3169 viewsLondonSaint76

Places I miss from Southampton's past on 12:33 - Nov 3 by arfurdent

How about The Atherley Fleapit Picturehouse

Forget bedbugs the fleas in that place were feral. They would dance on the back of the seats to the film score

They seemed to like the seats in the backrow, wonder why?

You are not joking about those damned fleas! My Gran used to live in Newlands Avenue so the Atherley was at the end of the road. We'd moved up to Staines when I was still a nipper but came down to visit Mum's Mum most weekends, tied in with home games in particular, so the Atherley was a regular treat (for Saturday morning kids cinema I assume). I can remember my Gran saying once 'That child slways seems to come back from the cinema scratching' - no s*it Sherlock! One time she did find something alive on me so next time down there I was dispatched with a container of the cat's flea powder to shake on the seat before sitting down - bit like trying to put a bush fire out with a garden hose... It's making me itch now just thinking aboit it!
[Post edited 3 Nov 2023 16:41]

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024