Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Preston Fans 16:39 - Mar 6 with 3068 viewsSaintNick

They left Preston at 11.30am this morning, they would probably have been well South of Birmingham when they found out the match might be off and by the time it was called off probably somewhere near Oxford

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Preston Fans on 16:43 - Mar 6 with 2239 viewsCenturion

Yes, really tough on them. A very long journey.
Preston Fans on 17:00 - Mar 6 with 2188 viewsTimSaint

Didn't a Newcastle v Plymouth game once get called off, about an hour before kick off ?

I remember an FA Cup game against Reading in the late 90's that got 'called off' because one of their fans phoned Saints to say the pitch was frozen, so the game was off. Saints somehow found out it was a hoax call and had to recall all the players in, then travel up.
I think we lost 3-1, with Ostenstad getting our goal

TimSaint

Preston Fans on 17:08 - Mar 6 with 2168 views1885_SFC

I remember travelling to Leicester away in the mid-80's and the game being abandoned due to the pitch resembling a paddy field, it rained that much. I think it was only 10 minutes or so into the game before the ref called it off. Absolute farce.

Old School is Cool

Preston Fans on 17:18 - Mar 6 with 2142 viewsTimSaint

Preston Fans on 17:08 - Mar 6 by 1885_SFC

I remember travelling to Leicester away in the mid-80's and the game being abandoned due to the pitch resembling a paddy field, it rained that much. I think it was only 10 minutes or so into the game before the ref called it off. Absolute farce.

Was there !! :-)

It was supposed to be a featured game on MOTD - remember they only showed highlights of a few pre-selected games back then.

The ball was hardly moving when they kicked it.
1 player, can't remember who or from which side, but after sliding a fair way, was making swimming gestures.

That Port Vale away FA Cup match should have been called off too !!

TimSaint

Preston Fans on 18:01 - Mar 6 with 2073 viewsCity_boy

Only happened to me once - Boxing Day (I think ?) many years ago against Charlton. That was about 1hr before kick off.
[Post edited 6 Mar 18:04]
Preston Fans on 18:06 - Mar 6 with 2058 viewsSouthSeaSaint

Going back even further, the game at Leyton Orient in 1966 was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.
A few of us went up by coach (Possibly operated by Shamrock & Rambler or one of the other coach companies offering away game trips)
The driver managed to find out other game options in London and we ended up on the terraces of Griffin Park to watch Brentford play Hull.
Good thing was our penultimate away game that season was at Brisbane Lane and were amongst hordes of Saints fans watching the 1-1 draw which effectively secured our first ever promotion to Div 1.
Preston Fans on 18:08 - Mar 6 with 2052 viewsMytchettSaint

Preston Fans on 17:00 - Mar 6 by TimSaint

Didn't a Newcastle v Plymouth game once get called off, about an hour before kick off ?

I remember an FA Cup game against Reading in the late 90's that got 'called off' because one of their fans phoned Saints to say the pitch was frozen, so the game was off. Saints somehow found out it was a hoax call and had to recall all the players in, then travel up.
I think we lost 3-1, with Ostenstad getting our goal

It was a league cup game (midweek) the players, thinking they had the evening off allegedly went on the piss and had to be rounded up (pre mobile phones)
The fa cup game a few seasons later was a 1-3 defeat at Elm Park, Benali got sent off and the game is etched into my mind as it was possibly the coldest I’ve ever been at a football game.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Preston Fans on 18:10 - Mar 6 with 2044 views1885_SFC

Preston Fans on 17:18 - Mar 6 by TimSaint

It was supposed to be a featured game on MOTD - remember they only showed highlights of a few pre-selected games back then.

1 player, can't remember who or from which side, but after sliding a fair way, was making swimming gestures.

I've just found this...

Old School is Cool

Login to get fewer ads

Preston Fans on 18:14 - Mar 6 with 2028 viewsgrumpy

The coldest I have ever been at a game was Nottingham away.
Preston Fans on 18:15 - Mar 6 with 2022 viewsIfonly

Preston Fans on 17:18 - Mar 6 by TimSaint

It was Steve Lynex.

I would love to see us try to play Rustyball in 1980s conditions.

Edit: while I was searching 1885 beat me to it!
[Post edited 6 Mar 18:19]
Preston Fans on 18:30 - Mar 6 with 1982 views1885_SFC

Preston Fans on 18:15 - Mar 6 by Ifonly

It was Steve Lynex.

I would love to see us try to play Rustyball in 1980s conditions.

Edit: while I was searching 1885 beat me to it!
[Post edited 6 Mar 18:19]

Looking back at that now is as funny as f*ck - but it wasn't on the day. Christ knows how the game was even allowed to kick off!

I went for a pee in the away end before driving home and there was a bloke stood next to me dressed in head to toe in biker gear. He'd ridden up all that way on a Yamaha and the poor sod looked like a drowned rat - absolutely drenched. At least I would dry out in my Ford Sierra 2.0 Ghia by the time I reached the A34 at Didcot!

Old School is Cool

Preston Fans on 20:18 - Mar 6 with 1813 viewscotswoldsaint

Preston Fans on 18:14 - Mar 6 by grumpy

Luckily you weren't at the away game at Sunderland, March 1978, I was at Durham Uni at the time and hooked up with a dozen or so Saints fans who'd travelled up from the New Forest that morning. They had about two overcoats between them as the icy gales seared into Roker from the North Sea.

'It wasn't this cold in Ringwood yesterday' said the girl sitting next to me as her lips started to turn blue.
Preston Fans on 20:30 - Mar 6 with 1780 viewsSalisburySaint

Preston Fans on 18:14 - Mar 6 by grumpy

Wigan away in cup was coldest I’ve ever been, and I was at those other games mentioned
Preston Fans on 21:40 - Mar 6 with 1678 viewsyateleysaint

Preston Fans on 20:30 - Mar 6 by SalisburySaint

Wigan away in cup was coldest I’ve ever been, and I was at those other games mentioned

I wasn’t at those other games mentioned but Wigan in the cup was the coldest for me too.

My mate kindly drove us there and back in his company car but it was so cold I didn’t even want a beer.

It had been snowing earlier in the day but the game went ahead and the cold wind was blowing from one open-ended side of the stand to the other.

I couldn’t wait for the game to be over so I could get back in my mate’s car with the heated seats on full blast.

The game was a bit crap too.

You cannot reason a person out of something they were not reasoned into.

Preston Fans on 22:04 - Mar 6 with 1636 viewskingslandstand1

Preston Fans on 20:30 - Mar 6 by SalisburySaint

Snow most of the way up if memory serves right. Quite a trip
Preston Fans on 22:12 - Mar 6 with 1621 viewsUmPahars

Preston Fans on 17:08 - Mar 6 by 1885_SFC

Also went to that game (on Foley’s coach).

You did get a voucher when you exited the ground for the replay!!! Mine never got used!!
Preston Fans on 22:24 - Mar 6 with 1579 viewsPatfromPoole

Preston Fans on 21:40 - Mar 6 by yateleysaint

I wasn’t at those other games mentioned but Wigan in the cup was the coldest for me too.

My mate kindly drove us there and back in his company car but it was so cold I didn’t even want a beer.

It had been snowing earlier in the day but the game went ahead and the cold wind was blowing from one open-ended side of the stand to the other.

I couldn’t wait for the game to be over so I could get back in my mate’s car with the heated seats on full blast.

The game was a bit crap too.

It was a Cup quarter-final which we won 2-0; what’s not to like??!!??

I drove up on the Saturday and it snowed quite a bit then. It also snowed on the drive home on the Sunday night.

One of my favourite away weekenders.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Preston Fans on 23:34 - Mar 6 with 1491 viewsLondonSaint76

Preston Fans on 18:30 - Mar 6 by 1885_SFC

Looking back at that now is as funny as f*ck - but it wasn't on the day. Christ knows how the game was even allowed to kick off!

I went for a pee in the away end before driving home and there was a bloke stood next to me dressed in head to toe in biker gear. He'd ridden up all that way on a Yamaha and the poor sod looked like a drowned rat - absolutely drenched. At least I would dry out in my Ford Sierra 2.0 Ghia by the time I reached the A34 at Didcot!

Honestly, I went to that abandoned Leicester game on public transport and didn’t get wet all day! Started belting down en route to Waterloo from Staines, under cover at Waterloo, tube to Kings X / St Pancras, train to Leicester, we dived across the road from the side exit of Leicester BR into a conveniently located pub. Taxi from the pub door to Filbert Street. Taxi allowed to drop us at the away turnstiles that were in a tunnel with a road running through it that was under the away end. Coming out we didn’t rush as there was a long queue for tokens so when we got on back out through the turnstiles the local police were packing up and offered a small group of us a lift back to Leicester BR in an otherwise three quarters empty police crew transit van as that was where they were going! It was still hammering it down and the funniest thing on the slow ride back in heavy traffic were dozens of soaking wet LCFC fans walking back to town all assumed we’d been nicked and were pointing at us laughing and making assorted hand gestures. Even the 4 coppers thought it was funny as the joke was on them not us, we just smiled and waved… Back to Leicester BR under the canopy, back in the pub across the road, then train back to St Pancras. By the time.we got back to London it had stopped raining.
[Post edited 6 Mar 23:37]

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Preston Fans on 07:24 - Mar 7 with 1353 viewsNumber_58

Didn't we once have a cup tie at The Dell postponed not because of a frozen pitch but because of frozen pipes in the bogs? When the match was replayed I'm sure I recall the away fans singing "Where's your plumber gone?"
[Post edited 7 Mar 7:28]
Preston Fans on 07:52 - Mar 7 with 1320 viewsBuggalugs

Preston Fans on 22:24 - Mar 6 by PatfromPoole

It was a Cup quarter-final which we won 2-0; what’s not to like??!!??

I drove up on the Saturday and it snowed quite a bit then. It also snowed on the drive home on the Sunday night.

One of my favourite away weekenders.

We drove up the day before too and went to Bolton v Villa, an evening kick off. Was amazed the game went ahead as plenty of snow about and had to walk through a heavy blizzard on way to the ground. Fvcking freezing it was.

It helped us acclimatise though and made the next day feel like we were in Dubai.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Preston Fans on 08:31 - Mar 7 with 1268 viewsPatfromPoole

Preston Fans on 07:24 - Mar 7 by Number_58

Didn't we once have a cup tie at The Dell postponed not because of a frozen pitch but because of frozen pipes in the bogs? When the match was replayed I'm sure I recall the away fans singing "Where's your plumber gone?"

Crewe at home, I think.

We drew the re-arranged game and I remember going up there for the replay, where Dodd scored a screamer.
[Post edited 7 Mar 8:32]

Preston Fans on 09:28 - Mar 7 with 1202 viewsNumber_58

Preston Fans on 08:31 - Mar 7 by PatfromPoole

Crewe at home, I think.

We drew the re-arranged game and I remember going up there for the replay, where Dodd scored a screamer.
[Post edited 7 Mar 8:32]

yep, I remember going to the replay. Cruising at 3-0 but nearly ended up throwing it away. I think Simon Charlton did a fantastic match-saving header in the dying seconds. Got a lift there and back with a chap who saw speed limits as a challenge rather than a warning. If Wigan was the scariest journey weatherwise, Crewe was undoubtedly the scariest from a psychopathic driver point of view.
Preston Fans on 09:43 - Mar 7 with 1177 viewsPatfromPoole

Preston Fans on 09:28 - Mar 7 by Number_58

yep, I remember going to the replay. Cruising at 3-0 but nearly ended up throwing it away. I think Simon Charlton did a fantastic match-saving header in the dying seconds. Got a lift there and back with a chap who saw speed limits as a challenge rather than a warning. If Wigan was the scariest journey weatherwise, Crewe was undoubtedly the scariest from a psychopathic driver point of view.

Having a bit of a memory for the inane, I remember being stood near Barry Venison and Neil Heaney in our away end up at Crewe that night.

I have seen some comments by Barry Venison on a Saints Facestalk site recently; he made some very complimentary comments about Saints and seems a thoroughly good egg.

Preston Fans on 10:46 - Mar 7 with 1112 viewsSFC_Referee

Yeah saw many at the Totton game yesterday, did have a fair bit of sympathy with them for what happened, but at the same time this wasn’t exactly something either team could foresee and wasn’t the usual waterlogged pitch to which the games called off only an hour before KO etc… as they weren’t even complaining much because there was so little more that could’ve been done

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Preston Fans on 11:41 - Mar 7 with 1077 viewsMytchettSaint

Preston Fans on 07:24 - Mar 7 by Number_58

I had travelled down from London for that game before finding out.

Also remember a game against West Ham in the 90's was rained off and found out about it on the on the train down with the London Saints.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024