Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. 05:08 - Jan 5 with 9457 viewssaintmark1976

Another utterly ridiculous sending off yesterday evening at Crystal Palace.

On pitch referee sees no problem at all with a tackle from a 27 year old player who has never previously been dismissed from the field of play. Michael Salisbury ( who like Darren England is a totally incompetent embarrassment ) in charge of V A R then refers on pitch official to pitch side monitor and a dismissal follows.

At the time of the incident no Crystal Palace player sees a problem and post match neither manager has a clue as why a sending off was necessary.

It’s time that the Clubs their managers and players told the authorities that they want V A R banned.
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 06:57 - Jan 5 with 6038 viewssledger

If the challenge was 3 inches to the right it would hane hit his standing leg square on causing a nasty injury luckily it was only a glancing impact,the facts are it was high studs up and potentially injured the palace player just a stupid challenge by calvert lewin.Im not sayiny i agree with non contact football but its where the game is
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 07:00 - Jan 5 with 6034 viewssaint22

It was a potentially dangerous challenge BUT it was a yellow and the ref missed that
The incompetent officials are making the whole use of VAR pointless
It is a joke the poor standard of those who are officiating
If there was ever a time for ex players to be involved in officiating it’s now with VAR
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 07:11 - Jan 5 with 6016 viewssolent_toffee

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 06:57 - Jan 5 by sledger

If the challenge was 3 inches to the right it would hane hit his standing leg square on causing a nasty injury luckily it was only a glancing impact,the facts are it was high studs up and potentially injured the palace player just a stupid challenge by calvert lewin.Im not sayiny i agree with non contact football but its where the game is

A stupid challenge? It wasn’t even a foul. He took the ball and set up a chance.

If that’s the benchmark for every game most games will end up being 9 v 9.
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 08:50 - Jan 5 with 5936 viewssledger

Of course it was a foul,i get the debate about the red card but the fact is he hit the palace player a glancing blow to get to the ball surely there is no issue about that
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:02 - Jan 5 with 5914 viewssaintmark1976

Thing is sledger, the challenge wasn’t 3 inches to the right was it ?

What you are suggesting is a little like the old expression “ if your aunt had had balls she would have been your uncle ”.The facts are she didn’t and she isn’t.
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:06 - Jan 5 with 5901 viewskingslandstand1

But it wasn't 3" to the right, it was a fair challenge and he got the ball with some minor contact with the guy. How else does he get the ball, unless he has some weird joints in his ankle that will twist it to some ridiculous angle.
As the OP has said, no one saw anything wrong and the game carried on. The ref who was in a decent position did not even see a foul
There's just been an ex ref and head of the PGMOL on the radio who also saw nothing wrong with it and that was with hindsight
Thank fk we don't have VAR (well, for this season at least)
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:07 - Jan 5 with 5895 viewskingslandstand1

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:02 - Jan 5 by saintmark1976

What you are suggesting is a little like the old expression “ if your aunt had had balls she would have been your uncle ”.The facts are she didn’t and she isn’t.

Snap! Just seen your response SM76 after typing mine!
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:10 - Jan 5 with 5882 viewskingslandstand1

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 08:50 - Jan 5 by sledger

Of course it was a foul,i get the debate about the red card but the fact is he hit the palace player a glancing blow to get to the ball surely there is no issue about that

But clear and obvious enough to bring VAR in to the equation? the slight contact could be deemed as being a foul I agree, but no more than that
Login to get fewer ads

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:21 - Jan 5 with 5870 viewssolent_toffee

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:10 - Jan 5 by kingslandstand1

But clear and obvious enough to bring VAR in to the equation? the slight contact could be deemed as being a foul I agree, but no more than that

One of the biggest issues in this country with VAR, is that the person covering it seems hell bent to find an excuse to get involved as though to justify their position. In the 2018 WC when it first came out, it was brilliant. Transparent, quick and effective. What we now have in this country is clumsy, slow, inconsistent and incompetent bordering on dodgy.

I think it was Villa who scored a goal at Old Trafford in the cup last season or the season before and it took about 5 minutes for them to disallow it, with the VAR (Darren England in that instance) going all out to find something to disallow. It was incomprehensible.
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:32 - Jan 5 with 5859 viewsSaintNick

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:02 - Jan 5 by saintmark1976

I saw it and yes to the naked eye watching it on tv it wasn't a foul and to the naked eye of the referee it wasn't a foul, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a foul.

Var showed the following fact, yes the player went in, with his studs up, so it could be deemed serious foul play.

So when looking at it on VAR the referee has to consider the law as is written "Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

So firstly the player "doesnt" actually have to make contact to be guilty of serious foul play and be sent off.

But Calvert Lewis did make contact with the player with his studs up, so that took the potential offence up a notch, he had fouled the player because he had caught him and that is where VAR came in, it showed that yes the studs were up and yes he had made contact, so potentially the ref had a decision to make on something he had missed with the naked eye.

Personally I thought the referee got it right given the VAR evidence, it met all the criteria needed for a sending off.

Someone asked how you can make a challenge of this kind ie studs up without twisting your foot in different directions, the answer is that you don't make the challenge it is against the laws of the game, if you do so then you risk being sent off.

The real issue is how long VAR took, it doesnt help the flow of the game to take 3 mins or more looking at the offence and then te ref doing the same, so it is better that serious infringements go unpunished just because it breaks up the game.

I'm not expressing a view here, but asking the question.

The other problems here are the TV pundits who seem to have little knowledge os the actual rules of the game despite playing it themselves or in the case of the journalists reported on it.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:32 - Jan 5 with 5852 viewssaints__fan__73

Only just noticed the 3rd round started last night lol.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:46 - Jan 5 with 5835 viewsSaintNick

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:32 - Jan 5 by saints__fan__73

Only just noticed the 3rd round started last night lol.

Do keep up

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:51 - Jan 5 with 5834 viewsDorsetIan

It's so boring now.

VAR is so obviously a failed project but stubbornness or vested interests or stupidity or whatever it is keeps it going.

Too depressing to think too much about it any more. I just enjoy watching football without it in the Championship!

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 10:12 - Jan 5 with 5799 viewskingslandstand1

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:32 - Jan 5 by SaintNick

I saw it and yes to the naked eye watching it on tv it wasn't a foul and to the naked eye of the referee it wasn't a foul, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a foul.

Var showed the following fact, yes the player went in, with his studs up, so it could be deemed serious foul play.

So when looking at it on VAR the referee has to consider the law as is written "Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

So firstly the player "doesnt" actually have to make contact to be guilty of serious foul play and be sent off.

But Calvert Lewis did make contact with the player with his studs up, so that took the potential offence up a notch, he had fouled the player because he had caught him and that is where VAR came in, it showed that yes the studs were up and yes he had made contact, so potentially the ref had a decision to make on something he had missed with the naked eye.

Personally I thought the referee got it right given the VAR evidence, it met all the criteria needed for a sending off.

Someone asked how you can make a challenge of this kind ie studs up without twisting your foot in different directions, the answer is that you don't make the challenge it is against the laws of the game, if you do so then you risk being sent off.

The real issue is how long VAR took, it doesnt help the flow of the game to take 3 mins or more looking at the offence and then te ref doing the same, so it is better that serious infringements go unpunished just because it breaks up the game.

The other problems here are the TV pundits who seem to have little knowledge os the actual rules of the game despite playing it themselves or in the case of the journalists reported on it.

I take on board most of what you're saying Nick, but was it "clear and obvious" or has that now just disappeared altogether?
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 10:15 - Jan 5 with 5791 viewskingslandstand1

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:51 - Jan 5 by DorsetIan

It's so boring now.

VAR is so obviously a failed project but stubbornness or vested interests or stupidity or whatever it is keeps it going.

Too depressing to think too much about it any more. I just enjoy watching football without it in the Championship!

Which was also one of the reasons the Championship attendances are at an all time high and in the top 10 world team sport average attendance figures, not just football

(Also obviously that this season has us, Leeds, Sunderland and Leicester with high figures!)
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 10:23 - Jan 5 with 5788 viewssaints__fan__73

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:46 - Jan 5 by SaintNick

Do keep up

It would never have happened in the 80s.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 10:25 - Jan 5 with 5789 viewssaint901

No matter how much the laws of the game are rewritten, clarified, explained, exampled, there will always be scope for subjective decisions.

In this case there certain was "potential" for a serious injury and in the LOTG, that is enough for it to be serious foul play and a red card.

The problem here was that the ref missed it or thought it was not a foul and allowed play to go on. Only the VAR official thought it a foul. The ref looked at it (slowed down it looks dangerous), decided he had made an obvious error and issued the red card.

Dyche might complain and moan (default state for most managers) but the officials were correct here.

What is not acceptable is holding up play for 4 or 5 minutes to decide if somebody is offside by a centimetre, several passes before a goal is scored. That is not clear and obvious.
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 10:33 - Jan 5 with 5784 viewsTimSaint

The fact that the Palace player did 3 rolls after being 'clipped', probably woke the VAR man up and made him have a look.

It's a contact sport FFS and call me old fashioned, but the Palace player was probably wearing those tiny shin pads that are all the rage at the moment - which are the size of a fag packet and literally off ZERO protection !!

I hope DCL wins his appeal.

TimSaint

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 10:52 - Jan 5 with 5768 viewssledger

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 09:32 - Jan 5 by SaintNick

nick you saved me a lot of typing with youre view,facts are he shouldnt have made the challenge he was out of control and had no idea what sort of impact he was going to make,i think if he gets off on appeal he is a very lucky boy.
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 14:41 - Jan 5 with 5639 viewsIfonly

I think a lot of us played football when there was no way in the world that this was a sending off, but the game has changed, the rules have changed and this is now 100% a dismissable offence and for good reason too.

Although he only made glancing contact with Clyne, he could have broken his leg if Clyne had been kicking though the ball e.g. to clear it. This is no different to the "over the ball" tackle that the naughty boys did in the old days. DCL could have legitimately challenged for this ball in a non-dangerous way if he had slid in on his side and swept his foot sideways at ground level. But he didn't, he was face-on with his foot studs-up over the ball. That's a sending off and for the good of the game it should be too. I'm all for allowing the game to be more physical but not with potentially leg breaking tackles.
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 16:56 - Jan 5 with 5569 viewsUTS1885

Its not justa about VAR , the players have become blatant cheats with diving.
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 19:23 - Jan 5 with 5468 viewssledger

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 16:56 - Jan 5 by UTS1885

Its not justa about VAR , the players have become blatant cheats with diving.

they have become blatant cheats because there is no punishment when there outed,fact is the authorities could sort this out in weeks with retrospective bans
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 19:47 - Jan 5 with 5454 viewssaintsfanbrock

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 19:23 - Jan 5 by sledger

they have become blatant cheats because there is no punishment when there outed,fact is the authorities could sort this out in weeks with retrospective bans

I have said it before and I will say it again, VAR ref should be watching for dives while the rest of the match is going and be given the power to give sin bins when they spot them. Diving would stop instantly.
V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 20:23 - Jan 5 with 5419 viewsPatfromPoole

We haven’t got VAR on our game tomorrow, have we???!!!???

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 20:34 - Jan 5 with 5400 viewssledger

V A R, It’s simply pathetic now. on 19:47 - Jan 5 by saintsfanbrock

I have said it before and I will say it again, VAR ref should be watching for dives while the rest of the match is going and be given the power to give sin bins when they spot them. Diving would stop instantly.

3 match bans would stop them quicker
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024