Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pros and Cons of going up 09:03 - Dec 10 with 6429 viewsPatfromPoole

Pros

Prestige
Keeping Harwood-Bellis
Club finances will be a lot healthier
Not being stuck in the abyss
Keeps us at least one League above the Skates
More London away games

Cons

Winning less games next season
VAR
More games moved by SKY
Being in a totally predictable League where you know we would finish bottom 6
More expensive tickets for home games
No derby game with Skates
Sterile atmosphere in the Prem
Having to deal with Scousers / United fans in our end
Having to play bloody Boscombe

I was really gutted leaving Watford’s ground yesterday. But the more I think about it…….
[Post edited 10 Dec 2023 9:10]

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Pros and Cons of going up on 10:15 - Dec 10 with 4699 viewsdirk_doone

The Championship is more predictable than the Premier League this season and I bet Bournemouth and Brighton fans wouldn't want to swap places with us.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Pros and Cons of going up on 10:18 - Dec 10 with 4690 viewskingslandstand1

I'd like to win the league but then be able to continue playing in the Championship

It hurts seeing the likes of Brentford, Bmuff etc being up there but we have to realise we are now a crap Prem team, but a good Champship team
Pros and Cons of going up on 10:23 - Dec 10 with 4674 viewsdirk_doone

Pros and Cons of going up on 10:18 - Dec 10 by kingslandstand1

I'd like to win the league but then be able to continue playing in the Championship

It hurts seeing the likes of Brentford, Bmuff etc being up there but we have to realise we are now a crap Prem team, but a good Champship team

So, punching below our weight, the coward's way out, and it's not even as if we look any more likely to win a trophy.

We've spent nearly all of my life in the top flight and it's where we belong. Be the best that you can be and if that means being the 15th best team in the country, so be it; It's better than being the 25th best. Even Bournemouth are clearly better than us right now. We were even afraid to play a pre-season game against them because we knew they'd beat us. That is not how we should be.

https://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/soto.htm
[Post edited 10 Dec 2023 14:05]

Pros and Cons of going up on 12:00 - Dec 10 with 4570 views1teeminants

Cons

Getting stuffed most weeks

Feeling like Shyte most weeks

Listening to drivel about the big clubs on a daily basis

Knowing that nobody gives a toss about your club because you’re not big enough

Having fans of big clubs take the mick and rub it in your face

Not spending enough to actually do anything

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Pros and Cons of going up on 12:22 - Dec 10 with 4546 viewsPatfromPoole

Pros and Cons of going up on 12:00 - Dec 10 by 1teeminants

Cons

Are you not fussed on going up then, mate?

Pros and Cons of going up on 12:39 - Dec 10 with 4517 viewsIfonly

A pro: if we going up and try to play Rustyball in the Prem, we will be absolutely destroyed. We will be botttom at Xmas and the owners will pull the plug on RM (and Wilcox?). Hopefully a new manager gives us a more dynamic style and a chance of competing long term at the top level as we used to - and as other clubs our size do today.
Pros and Cons of going up on 12:46 - Dec 10 with 4512 views1teeminants

Pros and Cons of going up on 12:22 - Dec 10 by PatfromPoole

Are you not fussed on going up then, mate?

No not really Pat . Obviously you’re richer and have more prestige but surely as fans we want our team to win games of football. A Burnley friend of mine couldn’t stop harking on last season. This season you can’t get a squeak out of her. She is totally peed off. It affects your moods and other things in life ( well it does to those that care enough )and she can’t wait to get relegated and be out of the farce of the premier league.

Pros and Cons of going up on 13:09 - Dec 10 with 4482 viewsPatfromPoole

Pros and Cons of going up on 12:46 - Dec 10 by 1teeminants

No not really Pat . Obviously you’re richer and have more prestige but surely as fans we want our team to win games of football. A Burnley friend of mine couldn’t stop harking on last season. This season you can’t get a squeak out of her. She is totally peed off. It affects your moods and other things in life ( well it does to those that care enough )and she can’t wait to get relegated and be out of the farce of the premier league.

I hear you……

Login to get fewer ads

Pros and Cons of going up on 13:55 - Dec 10 with 4450 viewsBerber

If you were to create a single league between the PL and Championship, nearly all of the Championship teams would be in the bottom half and it would be much like Scottish football. Sadly for me, I get no thrill about struggling to beat no hopers, no matter how much possession we have. It would be like spending my money to buy lager., it just isn’t going to happen. I know that is not what footy is about for some, but at my age, I am not going to waste my time watching sh1te teams. I’d rather be in the bottom 6 and see live, skilful football.
Pros and Cons of going up on 14:39 - Dec 10 with 4391 viewsPatfromPoole

Pros and Cons of going up on 13:55 - Dec 10 by Berber

If you were to create a single league between the PL and Championship, nearly all of the Championship teams would be in the bottom half and it would be much like Scottish football. Sadly for me, I get no thrill about struggling to beat no hopers, no matter how much possession we have. It would be like spending my money to buy lager., it just isn’t going to happen. I know that is not what footy is about for some, but at my age, I am not going to waste my time watching sh1te teams. I’d rather be in the bottom 6 and see live, skilful football.

I kind of get your point.

There is little to get excited about beating the likes of Bristol City, but the fact we seem to drag it out and rely on late goals makes it more exciting than it probably should be.

The buzz you get from beating a big Prem team though is pretty hard to beat though. Chelsea away last season was a pretty memorable day.

I think I’m a bit on the fence…..

Pros and Cons of going up on 15:54 - Dec 10 with 4324 viewskingslandstand1

Pros and Cons of going up on 10:23 - Dec 10 by dirk_doone

So, punching below our weight, the coward's way out, and it's not even as if we look any more likely to win a trophy.

We've spent nearly all of my life in the top flight and it's where we belong. Be the best that you can be and if that means being the 15th best team in the country, so be it; It's better than being the 25th best. Even Bournemouth are clearly better than us right now. We were even afraid to play a pre-season game against them because we knew they'd beat us. That is not how we should be.

https://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/soto.htm
[Post edited 10 Dec 2023 14:05]

But if you can't compete and fighting to keep your head above water each week where is the enjoyment in that?

I will still go every week no matter what, but it is demoralising when it is like that. And then get home to be told it's "only a game, why are you so down?" doesn't help!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be in the Prem, but hopefully with a chance rather than with the way it is down here, praying for that magic 17th place
Pros and Cons of going up on 15:58 - Dec 10 with 4303 viewskingslandstand1

Pros and Cons of going up on 12:46 - Dec 10 by 1teeminants

I hadn't read this post 1teem when I replied to Dirk, but this is where I was coming from
Pros and Cons of going up on 16:28 - Dec 10 with 4264 viewssledger

expecting to be beaten by the so called top clubs,then looking at the fixture list and wondering where we can scrape up 40 points,yawn,cant wait.
Pros and Cons of going up on 17:27 - Dec 10 with 4205 viewsdirk_doone

It averages out over the years that our results aren't much different in the 2nd tier to those in the top tier:

Number of years in Level 1
Average position 14th
Top 8 finishes 14

Number of years in Level 2
Average position 11th
Top 8 finishes 15

Level 1 Champions 0

Level 2 Champions 0

Basically, you cut your clothes to suit your cloth. Our fans are fairly unambitious and we attract owners who are the same.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2023 17:32]

Pros and Cons of going up on 17:33 - Dec 10 with 4189 viewsgrumpy

Pros and Cons of going up on 17:27 - Dec 10 by dirk_doone

It averages out over the years that our results aren't much different in the 2nd tier to those in the top tier:

Number of years in Level 1
Average position 14th
Top 8 finishes 14

Number of years in Level 2
Average position 11th
Top 8 finishes 15

Level 1 Champions 0

Level 2 Champions 0

Basically, you cut your clothes to suit your cloth. Our fans are fairly unambitious and we attract owners who are the same.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2023 17:32]

I don't think you can blame the fans for that,Dirk.
Pros and Cons of going up on 19:36 - Dec 10 with 4064 viewsButty101

Bournemouth have just won 3-0 at Man U and their fans will be buzzing. No result in the championship can remotely match that high. I literally get no buzz when we beat the likes of QPR 2-1 at home

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Pros and Cons of going up on 04:05 - Dec 11 with 3919 views1teeminants

Pros and Cons of going up on 15:58 - Dec 10 by kingslandstand1

I hadn't read this post 1teem when I replied to Dirk, but this is where I was coming from

Yeah totally agree pal.

Pros and Cons of going up on 05:50 - Dec 11 with 3902 views1ASIN12

I agree with Dirk , Saints should be a top flight club.

The trouble is if we don’t go up this season then this team could be the best we will have for years.

Next season we might not be able to afford to have Harwood-Bellis , Downes , Fraser and would have to sell Walker-Peters .

Possibly Stuart Armstrong and Alcraze will leave to.

Teams like Burnley, Sheffield Utd and Luton will all have more money than us .

I’ve said before the championship was no fun we we got relegated l.
Pros and Cons of going up on 06:40 - Dec 11 with 3884 viewssolent_toffee

Pros and Cons of going up on 12:00 - Dec 10 by 1teeminants

Cons

That’s my take on it.

I’d also throw celebrity referees like Oliver who try to make the game about them and don’t even bother hiding their distain for the non Slimy seven, giving every decision to the so called big clubs with a staggering lack of consistency.

Social media is also a no go, whenever your club posts anything, it’s bombarded by every Chelsea/Liverpool/United fan from Africa.

I’m sick of the whole premier league, the ten points deduction is making things interesting and the club is galvanised to stick two fingers up to the lot of them.

It would be great if the slimy seven pissed off and started their own league. Football in this country would be so much better for ut, giving the game back to the genuine fans.
Pros and Cons of going up on 07:07 - Dec 11 with 3863 viewscocklebreath

Pros and Cons of going up on 19:36 - Dec 10 by Butty101

Bournemouth have just won 3-0 at Man U and their fans will be buzzing. No result in the championship can remotely match that high. I literally get no buzz when we beat the likes of QPR 2-1 at home

I think you need a new team if you can’t get a buzz from a league win at home

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Pros and Cons of going up on 10:50 - Dec 11 with 3771 viewsfranniesTache

Pro's
My friends and family not losing their jobs.
We've always been a top flight team so it's where we should be.
We might keep onto some of our better players.
cheaper away tickets.

Con's
We'd get beaten most weeks, and with Martin's tactics take an absolute hammering more than once
VAR
We'd attract more of the posh/out of town/overseas fans.
We'd probably still lose our best players.
The grounds are boring as there's no new ones to do.
The media coverage would do my head in.
I'd have to listen to the boring plastic bellends at walking talking about "their" club, when what they mean is they've watched a tv programme that showed a club from a city they've never been to and have no connection to, and how "their" club should sign our players.
Less games.
Less competition in games.
Even more boring football as more teams would set up to not lose instead of win.
Sh*t atmosphere at most away games (and most home games).
Pros and Cons of going up on 13:06 - Dec 11 with 3708 viewskingslandstand1

Pros and Cons of going up on 10:50 - Dec 11 by franniesTache

Pro's
My friends and family not losing their jobs.
We've always been a top flight team so it's where we should be.
We might keep onto some of our better players.
cheaper away tickets.

Con's
We'd get beaten most weeks, and with Martin's tactics take an absolute hammering more than once
VAR
We'd attract more of the posh/out of town/overseas fans.
We'd probably still lose our best players.
The grounds are boring as there's no new ones to do.
The media coverage would do my head in.
I'd have to listen to the boring plastic bellends at walking talking about "their" club, when what they mean is they've watched a tv programme that showed a club from a city they've never been to and have no connection to, and how "their" club should sign our players.
Less games.
Less competition in games.
Even more boring football as more teams would set up to not lose instead of win.
Sh*t atmosphere at most away games (and most home games).

Wow! Slightly more cons than pros there mate!

Interesting thread/debate this one

Bottom line is would you keep your season tkt no matter what league? I would
Pros and Cons of going up on 13:19 - Dec 11 with 3692 viewsButty101

Pros and Cons of going up on 07:07 - Dec 11 by cocklebreath

I think you need a new team if you can’t get a buzz from a league win at home

Maybe if the footy was more exciting then i would get more of a buzz. Im finding this season dull . We are on a 12 game unbeaten run and not a flicker from the pecker....

Maybe ive just fallen out of love with the game

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Pros and Cons of going up on 13:19 - Dec 11 with 3689 viewsPatfromPoole

Pros and Cons of going up on 13:06 - Dec 11 by kingslandstand1

Wow! Slightly more cons than pros there mate!

Interesting thread/debate this one

Bottom line is would you keep your season tkt no matter what league? I would

I bought a half season ticket a couple of weeks ago, my first season ticket in 15 years.

The possibility of missing a derby game at Fratton next season has somewhat focused my mind on getting far more games attended, particularly aways, and having a season ticket to allocate them to (membership is a waste of time for this).

Pros and Cons of going up on 13:23 - Dec 11 with 3684 viewsDorsetIan

Pros and Cons of going up on 13:19 - Dec 11 by Butty101

Maybe if the footy was more exciting then i would get more of a buzz. Im finding this season dull . We are on a 12 game unbeaten run and not a flicker from the pecker....

Maybe ive just fallen out of love with the game

I'd much prefer to be promoted but being in a league with no VAR is going to be a massive silver lining if we fail.

For me, being able to enjoy a goal being scored is what it's all about.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024