Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The blue sky thinkers at our club 22:38 - Aug 18 with 1823 viewsthis_charming_man

You know, the ones who come up with the surveys, the gas works bar idea, the supporters charter, the grassing hotline, basically the people who are supposed to understand the needs of their customer base and align their product accordingly, who are they?

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: What should areasix do with his crystal ball?

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 18:45 - Aug 19 with 628 viewsfranniesTache

Surely those of us on here know that we're not really the type of fans they want? Saints web is their new market, people that start 30 page threads on the kit and think the club is in the right when they send out letters to people in the Itchen North for their language.

The same people that use the bingo or if they're "a bit more daring" use the saints away travel. The old school fans like a lot of us are are a nuisance, especially at home games, and the club would actively get rid of us if they could.

The worst thing is that a lot of the new breed of fans agree with the club, you only need to look at Saints web and the way that young lads are berated for being drunk, breaking ground regulation for standing, or people complaining they swear too much.

Hell the Ins and Outs twitter account got permanently banned because someone reported it for foul language, that's the new breed of football fan.

Like TCM says i don't really understand why i do home games anymore, other than to get access to tickets for away days, and even they're being slowly ruined by the replica top and thermos lot.
The blue sky thinkers at our club on 20:21 - Aug 19 with 566 viewsMytchettSaint

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 18:45 - Aug 19 by franniesTache

Surely those of us on here know that we're not really the type of fans they want? Saints web is their new market, people that start 30 page threads on the kit and think the club is in the right when they send out letters to people in the Itchen North for their language.

The same people that use the bingo or if they're "a bit more daring" use the saints away travel. The old school fans like a lot of us are are a nuisance, especially at home games, and the club would actively get rid of us if they could.

The worst thing is that a lot of the new breed of fans agree with the club, you only need to look at Saints web and the way that young lads are berated for being drunk, breaking ground regulation for standing, or people complaining they swear too much.

Hell the Ins and Outs twitter account got permanently banned because someone reported it for foul language, that's the new breed of football fan.

Like TCM says i don't really understand why i do home games anymore, other than to get access to tickets for away days, and even they're being slowly ruined by the replica top and thermos lot.

The thing is, who are the fans the club will be desperate to get back if/when we are relegated again and the premier league JCL fans disappear once again...

I'm not ageing well if I'm honest.

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 20:45 - Aug 19 with 541 viewsluffy22

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 14:06 - Aug 19 by this_charming_man

I probably would go if they made it attractive. Im quite happy to turn up bang on kick off time but kids want to get their early, go to the shop etc so if there was somewhere in the ground we could get a beer and a burger, showing sky sports etc then i'd probably use it.

As has already been said they've completely missed a trick by trying to make it a entry level corporate area as there isn't the demand for it. They should make it a Saints supporters only members bar, say £25 a season membership or free to season ticker holders, if they want to add a few quid on to the price of food and drink for the convience of using a pub in the ground then that's fair enough, but doing it that way i' pretty sure the bar will be full most weeks with Saints getting the business. To charge ridiculous membership fees or match day prices then expect fans to pay almost double to price for a burger and chips as you can get in pubs in town is taking the p*ss. They've got it so wrong its a joke. I hope they see sense and reduce prices, but then you'll have a lot of p*ssed off fans who have already paid membership prices for the season or paid £150 for the Liverpool game.

There is a different set of management now but back in the good old days at the dell My father and I plus all our supporting mates were a member of the club next door which was part of the club, for a small annual membership, we would go in have a few beers pre match, some fella would read the team sheet out as soon as it appeared, so we were the first to know the team, he would tell a few jokes, we would leave 1 minute before kick off so we were in the archers as kick off was being taken and then straight back in after to discus the amazing goal Le God had scored whilst moaning about the defeat.

It was priced for the home fans, and ran for the home fans, the place was always packed.

Different set of management and business objectives now. its all in the past.

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 23:08 - Aug 20 with 459 viewsFrank_Steel

They don't need to do it to us. I know it's not the same, but I run hospitality/bars/catering/turnstiles at a club in London with average home attendance (last season in our own ground) of around 2700. We charge £12 for adults, £5 for concessions, and u13's are free. Season ticket holders get a pint in our clubhouse every day for £3, and dinner for £7. We pay London living wage or above to everyone. We have no TV money, and no rich backer. We survive on the income we make on match days, and what the commercial team (who do a good job) can get in, which means it's an absolutely vital source of income to us (90+%), compared with around 12.5% of revenue at Southampton in 17/18.

Anyway, we deliberately lose potential margin in order to remain easily accessible to our core support, even though we're surrounded by, and supported by, a lot of people who will pay twice what we charge (metropolitan elite, remember). Plus, since reducing (yes) the price of the cheapest pint from £3.50 to £3 after last season, we've seen spend per head across site go up. We look after our traditional support, and they look after their club. Who'd have thunk it.

I'll always love and follow Southampton, but Premier League football is soulless and rotten. Our club, like most others, is knowingly pricing out traditional support. I don't think anyone should be an apologist for it, there's no excuse.

See some of you at Craven Cottage next week for some expensive food and drink in the Special Energy Drink Cup.
The blue sky thinkers at our club on 23:20 - Aug 20 with 448 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 18:45 - Aug 19 by franniesTache

I would love Saints to get relegated. Just to get rid of these helmets and make the club regret the actions they've taken.

I don't know why you're still bothering with home matches. But generally for me personally, I don't like football enough to bother. I like catching up with mates and getting on the p*ss. Football was an enabler for that. Less so now.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 08:39 - Aug 21 with 407 viewsfranniesTache

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 23:20 - Aug 20 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I would love Saints to get relegated. Just to get rid of these helmets and make the club regret the actions they've taken.

I don't know why you're still bothering with home matches. But generally for me personally, I don't like football enough to bother. I like catching up with mates and getting on the p*ss. Football was an enabler for that. Less so now.

Honestly mush the only reason i bother with home games is to qualify for away games, see my family when i drop home and have a drink with my mates. I've moved from the Northam to the Itchen North this season too so hoping that'll be a slight improvement but generally St Mary's is f*cking awful (not that it's any different to any other club chatting to my mates who go with other teams).

Like you say if it wasn't for wanting Saints to be the best they can be i'd want relegation any day of the week, the premier league is like a cancer to football clubs, attracting the worst of the noddy types and middle class couples who tut at anyone who so much as swears.
The blue sky thinkers at our club on 09:15 - Aug 21 with 400 viewsChesham_Saint

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 23:08 - Aug 20 by Frank_Steel

They don't need to do it to us. I know it's not the same, but I run hospitality/bars/catering/turnstiles at a club in London with average home attendance (last season in our own ground) of around 2700. We charge £12 for adults, £5 for concessions, and u13's are free. Season ticket holders get a pint in our clubhouse every day for £3, and dinner for £7. We pay London living wage or above to everyone. We have no TV money, and no rich backer. We survive on the income we make on match days, and what the commercial team (who do a good job) can get in, which means it's an absolutely vital source of income to us (90+%), compared with around 12.5% of revenue at Southampton in 17/18.

Anyway, we deliberately lose potential margin in order to remain easily accessible to our core support, even though we're surrounded by, and supported by, a lot of people who will pay twice what we charge (metropolitan elite, remember). Plus, since reducing (yes) the price of the cheapest pint from £3.50 to £3 after last season, we've seen spend per head across site go up. We look after our traditional support, and they look after their club. Who'd have thunk it.

I'll always love and follow Southampton, but Premier League football is soulless and rotten. Our club, like most others, is knowingly pricing out traditional support. I don't think anyone should be an apologist for it, there's no excuse.

See some of you at Craven Cottage next week for some expensive food and drink in the Special Energy Drink Cup.

That’s very interesting Frank, thanks for taking the time to explain it all. It puts the ‘big’ clubs to shame and I’ve always thought SFC should better leverage the fact that they aren’t one of the massive clubs to ‘nuance’ things for our core support.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 09:21 - Aug 21 with 396 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 08:39 - Aug 21 by franniesTache

Honestly mush the only reason i bother with home games is to qualify for away games, see my family when i drop home and have a drink with my mates. I've moved from the Northam to the Itchen North this season too so hoping that'll be a slight improvement but generally St Mary's is f*cking awful (not that it's any different to any other club chatting to my mates who go with other teams).

Like you say if it wasn't for wanting Saints to be the best they can be i'd want relegation any day of the week, the premier league is like a cancer to football clubs, attracting the worst of the noddy types and middle class couples who tut at anyone who so much as swears.

Yep, so pretty much the same reason; football is an enabler for you to catch up with mates and also family, which I think it always has been for most - getting together, letting off steam and just being able to let go.

Login to get fewer ads

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 06:32 - Aug 22 with 327 viewsBuenosSaint

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 09:21 - Aug 21 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Yep, so pretty much the same reason; football is an enabler for you to catch up with mates and also family, which I think it always has been for most - getting together, letting off steam and just being able to let go.

It's very hard to weigh up all the pros and cons of football and all the associated paraphernalia of the past and now in a balanced way. ( maybe worth a complete list if not done already)

Modernisation has its improvements and the past can easily be looked at with rose tinted spectacles.

But when we moan about "death of football / death of following saints at SMS etc, (me included btw!) I'm sure we come across as grumpy old men. Just saying.

Poll: If you had to choose between winning FA cup and Premier league this season

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 08:47 - Aug 22 with 273 viewsthis_charming_man

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 06:32 - Aug 22 by BuenosSaint

It's very hard to weigh up all the pros and cons of football and all the associated paraphernalia of the past and now in a balanced way. ( maybe worth a complete list if not done already)

Modernisation has its improvements and the past can easily be looked at with rose tinted spectacles.

But when we moan about "death of football / death of following saints at SMS etc, (me included btw!) I'm sure we come across as grumpy old men. Just saying.

Maybe we do. You’re right, there is a whole new breed of fans who have been brought up on the premier league dream who go now. It’s only going to get worse. You’ve only go to look at how many of the fans now would rather finish 8th than win a cup. I’m glad I grew up in an era where tou didn’t have to be owned by a billionaire to crack the top 5 or 6. Loads of teams did it when I was a kid, saints, West Ham, Ipswich, QPR, forest, Villa, Watford etc. Even a club like Everton who are miles behind the top clubs now were probably the best team in Europe for a few years.

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 09:22 - Aug 22 with 261 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 06:32 - Aug 22 by BuenosSaint

Absolutely, we are grumpy old men. Just a different type to the grumpy old men we used to moan about at The Dell harking back to the days of properly hard football and proper lace up BOOTS!

But I think TCM is right above, there is a whole new generation that has been brought up on Soccer AM and the top flight being the "best league in the world". We used to watch the program on channel 4 on a Sunday (?) for that ;)

We had very few football matches on TV, so I think we were less aware of the tactics, the players, the board and anything to do with the clubs and that was good. It was our club we could go along to on a Saturday and let our hair down a bit.

But now I think most fans are saturated with football and are ALL football managers / chairmen and know everything.

It's the same with politics / Brexit - in the past only the actual experts would be arguing. Now get any old tom, dick and harry on TV offering their drivel opinion (on all sides of the debate).

The internet has saturated everything with data and information and mis information.

Anyway ... waffling ... I still think relegation would get rid of most of the soccer AM helmets and give us a more enjoyable watching (in person) experience again.

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 13:52 - Aug 25 with 162 viewsfranniesTache

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 09:22 - Aug 22 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Absolutely, we are grumpy old men. Just a different type to the grumpy old men we used to moan about at The Dell harking back to the days of properly hard football and proper lace up BOOTS!

But I think TCM is right above, there is a whole new generation that has been brought up on Soccer AM and the top flight being the "best league in the world". We used to watch the program on channel 4 on a Sunday (?) for that ;)

We had very few football matches on TV, so I think we were less aware of the tactics, the players, the board and anything to do with the clubs and that was good. It was our club we could go along to on a Saturday and let our hair down a bit.

But now I think most fans are saturated with football and are ALL football managers / chairmen and know everything.

It's the same with politics / Brexit - in the past only the actual experts would be arguing. Now get any old tom, dick and harry on TV offering their drivel opinion (on all sides of the debate).

The internet has saturated everything with data and information and mis information.

Anyway ... waffling ... I still think relegation would get rid of most of the soccer AM helmets and give us a more enjoyable watching (in person) experience again.

If you want an example of why even our away support is going to shit then this explains everything.

The fact they've got the bus to Brighton is one thing but look at the absolute state of them!

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 14:15 - Aug 25 with 145 viewsthis_charming_man

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 13:52 - Aug 25 by franniesTache

If you want an example of why even our away support is going to shit then this explains everything.

The fact they've got the bus to Brighton is one thing but look at the absolute state of them!

Bless them, it’s nice they got allowed out for the day for a day trip . Hope they enjoyed it.

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 15:46 - Aug 25 with 114 viewsMytchettSaint

The blue sky thinkers at our club on 13:52 - Aug 25 by franniesTache

The chap in the top right pic with the blue cap and aqua polo...Flying under plod radar using the official coaches..clever fella.

I'm not ageing well if I'm honest.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2019